A weird sense of freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A weird sense of freedom

Well, BK is not fun and it does take work to keep looking at it as a business/financial decision and not an emotional one. But, my husband and I were talking last night and realized there is something freeing about using cash for everything. We haven't used a credit card in 8 months and are current on our rent, utilities, and car payments. Yes, there are weeks where we bite our nails, look at our paltry checking account balance and hope nothing comes up unexpectedly. But, hey. What else can we do?! I clip coupons like crazy and shaved about $300 off our grocery bill each month. I shopped around for car insurance and got a MUCH cheaper deal. My parents, bless them, don't have funds to help us out on a regular basis, but since we just moved from Florida to Indiana, they surprised us with winter clothes for the babies, so we don't have to buy them. I saved all my winter clothes from my New York days (ok, so they are a little out of date, but I am a stay-at-home mom so who do I have to impress?).

And the best....my husband and I haven't had a dining room table ever. His ex wife took his in the divorce and we kinda just eat on the couch. Anyways, this always bugged me and with a toddler learning to eat, family time at the table was important to me. So, we saved, saved, and saved and got a very modest set and paid cash for it! woot! It's not very fashionable - just a plain wood table with simple chairs, but it is ours!

Congratulations, it is kind freeing

Sounds like you are making the long term changes needed
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Whats even BETTER...... the "peace of mind" of knowing you have made it together, survived it together , and together life is now so much better. Together you stand, divided you fall..............
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I haven't used credit cards for about three months now and it feels good!

Comment

Originally posted by Brookamy View Post
          I haven't used credit cards for about three months now and it feels good!
          Six months here and counting. Feels great.
          Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

This has been such a refreshing thread. Credit sells your future to another and you lose a bit of your freedom. To purchase what you NEED, not what you WANT, in time will give you extra to purchase what you want in time. Self control is the secret. I shall not go into debt again, once this is all over. ‘Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I miss my cerdit cards...

Anyhow, it is certainly much better that I really have to think about spending money, rather than saying "I'll pay for it later".

The "I'll pay for it later" mentality, is why I'm here... it's later... and I'm paying for it!

Thanks for the thread.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

3 years and no credit card use here ! WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

It only gets better, trust me!!!!

We are 3 years into a 5 year 13.

K
                You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

I thought C13, you had to use cash anyway until the plan was done?

Congrats to all that have been able to make it on cash only!

Comment

We do! But it's nice to know we are able to adjust to living on a cash only basis and the sky doesn't fall after all LOL!!!!!!!
                    You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                      I thought C13, you had to use cash anyway until the plan was done?
                      Only if you don't pay your creditors 100%. You may also be able to claim a hardship for work related reasons (to generate income... to pay your Plan), if for instance, you need to travel for work and need a real "credit card" to rent cars, etc. (e.g. you can't rent a car with a debit card!)
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What a sweet thread, actually brought a tear to my eyes..Im so happy about your diningroom table..Im sure it feels like you spent big bucks on it....Terrific memories will be made sitting down at that table...enjoy!!!!

Comment

Haven't used cc in five months!! YEAH. LOVE it!!! There is some stress with making sure you have enough money in the bank to cover everything... but not like the stress of getting those cc bills in the mail every month.
                          Filed C7 12-09-08
                          Discharged 5-15-09

Comment

Originally posted by nazstar View Post
                            Well, BK is not fun and it does take work to keep looking at it as a business/financial decision and not an emotional one. But, my husband and I were talking last night and realized there is something freeing about using cash for everything. We haven't used a credit card in 8 months and are current on our rent, utilities, and car payments. Yes, there are weeks where we bite our nails, look at our paltry checking account balance and hope nothing comes up unexpectedly. But, hey. What else can we do?! I clip coupons like crazy and shaved about $300 off our grocery bill each month. I shopped around for car insurance and got a MUCH cheaper deal. My parents, bless them, don't have funds to help us out on a regular basis, but since we just moved from Florida to Indiana, they surprised us with winter clothes for the babies, so we don't have to buy them. I saved all my winter clothes from my New York days (ok, so they are a little out of date, but I am a stay-at-home mom so who do I have to impress?).

And the best....my husband and I haven't had a dining room table ever. His ex wife took his in the divorce and we kinda just eat on the couch. Anyways, this always bugged me and with a toddler learning to eat, family time at the table was important to me. So, we saved, saved, and saved and got a very modest set and paid cash for it! woot! It's not very fashionable - just a plain wood table with simple chairs, but it is ours!
                            Everybody has their story to tell and it is heartwarming.

We have an old dining room table and we use a 75 year old table that my Mom gave us as a desk in the dining room.

We have also found a Hispanic supermarket close by where believe it or not we save as much as 40% on our food bill.

Hey, its tough but its not the end of the world and I actually am counting the days until I file in November.

I decided to wait an extra month since I can somewhat control my income.
                            Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

I am grateful that we are under a 13 plan now. It is truly freeing living within your means. This whole experience has made me realize what's truly important. I got where I am partly becasue I was trying to keep up with the jones.
                              Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
                              Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
                              Discharged April 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X