JP Morgan Chase buying WAMU: Offset question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JP Morgan Chase buying WAMU: Offset question

I got burned by Wells Fargo when they took $3500 out of my account and offset it against a credit card bill.

I now use WAMU. If JP Morgan Chase buys WAMU is my WAMU account subject to an offset by Chase?

It may not matter since I will be filing first week of October and I doubt that a deal can close that fast but then again who knows.

Advice?
    Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

It's a done deal. I think your timing is fine.
    Last edited by fltoo; 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Oh, good question. I owe Chase appox $24k and I have direct deposit with Wamu. I will be unable to file until Nov (trying to save $$ to pay attorney last payment). Anyway, I hope someone can answer this for us.....
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Can a creditor withdrawl from your checking account if they are not affiliated with the bank? Im worried Chase will try to withdrawl from my National City Account
        01/17/2009 Filed
        03/03/2009 341 Meeting
        04/14/2009 Confirmation Hearing

Comment

Originally posted by Reddrocket07 View Post
          Can a creditor withdrawl from your checking account if they are not affiliated with the bank? Im worried Chase will try to withdrawl from my National City Account
          Hi RedR,
          As far as I know, No. They have to be within the same company. For example: I am filing bk on 2 BofA credit cards and *if* I banked with BofA, they may attempt to "cross collaterize" and withdraw $$ from my bank account to pay ccs. Hope this helps.
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help Liz. Its been a while since I posted last. Ive been busy with work, then the internet was out for a week from that wind storm!
            01/17/2009 Filed
            03/03/2009 341 Meeting
            04/14/2009 Confirmation Hearing

Comment

Right of offset

Its called right of offset or right to offset when they pull money (seize deposited funds) from your account to pay delinquent loans. Most all banks have this somewhere in their fine print. There are some limitations. Each state may have different laws referencing it. Some require notices to be sent others may not.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                Oh, good question. I owe Chase appox $24k and I have direct deposit with Wamu. I will be unable to file until Nov (trying to save $$ to pay attorney last payment). Anyway, I hope someone can answer this for us.....
                Same situation here, too. I'm wondering if November is going to be too long to wait, or if I should switch banks now.

Maaaaan, what a PITA.

Comment

I have two credit cards with Wamu, a Visa with a limit of $2500, and a Mastercard with the same limit. Balances right now, on both, hover around $1100 on each.
                  Back in 2004 when I filed bankruptcy I included two Chase cards and burned Chase to the tune of about $15,000.
                  What are the chances of Chase cancelling my Wamu cards once their computer systems are merged?

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                    I have two credit cards with Wamu, a Visa with a limit of $2500, and a Mastercard with the same limit. Balances right now, on both, hover around $1100 on each.
                    Back in 2004 when I filed bankruptcy I included two Chase cards and burned Chase to the tune of about $15,000.
                    What are the chances of Chase cancelling my Wamu cards once their computer systems are merged?
                    I asked the same question in another WAMU thread....we included Chase in our Chapter 13 filing in 2002; we obtained a WAMU Visa in January 2007 after our discharge in August 2006. Never any late or nonpayments, small balance, either paid in full or way more than minimum payment sent monthly when used (use for car repairs and household repairs). Limit increased twice since initial acceptance at $3,500. Would anyone with any credit card and buyout knowledge know if our cards will survive or be cancelled out after this buyout?

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      I asked the same question in another WAMU thread....we included Chase in our Chapter 13 filing in 2002; we obtained a WAMU Visa in January 2007 after our discharge in August 2006. Never any late or nonpayments, small balance, either paid in full or way more than minimum payment sent monthly when used (use for car repairs and household repairs). Limit increased twice since initial acceptance at $3,500. Would anyone with any credit card and buyout knowledge know if our cards will survive or be cancelled out after this buyout?
                      The information in this article may be helpful. The Consumerist had several articles on the WaMu buy-out on Thursday and Friday. It looks like at minimum things will be OK for 3-6 months, with no real substantial changes for a year.

It may very well depend on how the economy fairs over the next year, also. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but that article has good general info.

Comment

Originally posted by No Gravy View Post
                        The information in this article may be helpful. The Consumerist had several articles on the WaMu buy-out on Thursday and Friday. It looks like at minimum things will be OK for 3-6 months, with no real substantial changes for a year.

It may very well depend on how the economy fairs over the next year, also. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but that article has good general info.
                        Thanks 'no gravy' for the informative article!
                        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

think about an attorney trust

so we were also worried about getting our bank accounts taken by the creditors without knowing....so our attorney offered us an attorney trust client account where he would hold the funds for us and it would be safe there. also the attorney is not allowed to take any funds etc. he just holds it for us I think thats a pretty safe bet where everyone can sleep at night knowing their funds are in a safe place dont you guys think? have any of you guys heard of this?

oh also one additional question-do you guys think it would be safer for money to be kept in a community credit union or a attorney trust account?
                          Filed-10/2008
                          341-12/10/2008
                          Discharged-3/17/2009

Comment

Lajazz,

Not sure any of us really know the answer to this and so many other questions regarding the current financial mess - I would just say this: if I were you, I wouldn't take the chance - especially in light of what happened to you already.
                            Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                            341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                            Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                            Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                              Thanks 'no gravy' for the informative article!
                              You're welcome

It was nice to see that even people who aren't a step away from bankruptcy weren't happy about banking with Chase. It was like validation for me, that I'm not over-reacting.

I was never thrilled with certain aspects of WaMu...for instance their bill pay/online banking is retarded to the max...but I'd grown used to their warts. Now I have to start over with yet another bank...and hope *they* don't get bought out, too.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X