top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to file Bankruptcy w/out a lawyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to file Bankruptcy w/out a lawyer?

I need to file for bankruptcy but I don't have the money to pay a lawyer to do it. Is it possible to file by yourself? And if it is would there be more chances of my debt not be discharged?

yes, you can file without hiring an attorney. it's called 'pro se' and you should look into the NOLO bankruptcy books; chapter 7 or 13, depending on your personal situation.

whether or not you file your bk yourself seems to have little bearing on the discharge of your debts; the circumstances of your indebtedness and your current financial outlook have far more to do with it.

do some digging here on the forum and ask questions.

good luck
    Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
    (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Thank you. I've been doing some digging. It seems overwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by KPcal View Post
        It seems that way now. But it isn't. Trust what was told you. Get the Nolo book on C7, about 17 bucks download from nolo.com. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by KPcal View Post
          It is at first. But as you will remember from your school days, any new subject seem daunting at first. Just keep on studying. Don't try to see the entire big picture at first, and it will become clear.

Good luck to you and wlecome to the Forum. Feel free to ask any questions.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

You can always go to the free consults with lawyers and ask lots of questions, then use the board and internet to find out others. I interviewed over 10 lawyers in my city and found out so much info.

Hint play dumb, with each one, even if you ask the same ? twice, still play dumb.

it seams Paralegeals are more open to help you than Lawyers. Just because you cant afford one does not mean you cannot learn from thier advice.

I was going to file on my own but found a lawyer that i liked for 1500 for a chapter 7. For my case it would be worth it, 1500 will by me piece of mind that i wont screw something up, but i really do belive I can file on my own but i would rather have a pro do it just incase any one objects and he can handle that.

I got prices from 1500 to 5000 so shop around as well. Funny thing the 1500 lawyer knew the most.

good luck

Comment

Pro Se is possible. Just ask around.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It is very possible but it takes time, planning/strategizing, and studying.
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                341 July 1, 2008
                Discharged September 4, 2008
                Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X