How to take my name off as Authorize User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to take my name off as Authorize User

I am on my spouse's 2 credit cards (WAMU and AMEX Blue). Well when times were good I was added as an authorize user and receive cards for these accounts. The accounts were applied in her name only and she authorized me to have credit cards as well.

Now, times are bad and I will more than likely file for Chapter 13.

Do I have to include these 2 credit card accounts in my petition if I file my papers?

Also, how do I remove these accounts from my credit reports? (Both accounts are now in 3 months or more behind in payments) so it is reporting as such on MY credit report as well as hers.

Thank you.
    Filed March 2009

You can't remove the accounts from your credit reports because your name was on the account at the time the credit was available and open and that information will stay on your reports for several years. Remember your SS number was provided to the creditor when you were authorized to use the account. Since the account is in her name only but it appears she is also behind on payments (who makes the payments on this account?), is this a household financial problem and do you have any joint accounts? Is all the other debt in your name only? I would talk to a BK attorney as to your situation. Best of luck to you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

My ex husband was an authorized user on a citi MC I had. I removed him as a user when we separated in 2006.

My ex filed a CH7 a few weeks ago. His credited report listed the Citibank account he was an authorized use on right up until the month I called Citibank and took him off in 2006. It appears they stopped reporting it on his CR. The account shows up, but the last activity shows the date I took him off the card.

When he filed his CH7, he included this account, even though he was only an authorized user and had been taken off the account over 2 years ago. Did he have to include it? Theoretically no, but you never know and to avoid any potential hassles he included the account.

However, if you are filing a 13, it gets a bit more complicated. Do you have an attorney?

Comment

First - have your wife remove you as AU by contacting the credit car companies.
        Second - dispute those accounts with the CRAs as "not mine".

Comment

I called and had my husband removed as an authorized user prior to filing for bankruptcy. I also encouraged him to remove me as an authorized user from the credit card accounts in his name. I asked that they send a letter stating that he was no longer an authorized user on my accounts.

Not sure it makes much difference in the scheme of things, but as mine was primarily a business bankruptcy, I didn't want his credit to be involved. The business was in my name only, and it failed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X