Question about spending money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about spending money

Ok first there is alot of talk about spending your tax refund before filing.
    What would be acceptable to use it on?
    I know need to get dh truck fixed and get tires.
    we are getting two loads of wood for our woodburner.
    Food of course.
    2nd payment to lawyer.
    What else would be acceptable?
    I need dental work done, but how do i go about it. Have it done then pay them when we get the refund? Or have it done after we get the money. Don't want preferential payment. But i need a crown and it takes a few weeks to get it all done. Not sure if i need to pay before or after.
    Oh we have to replace our dishwasher it went out on Christmas day. I'm sure we won't have trouble spending it. But it depends how much or little the truck cost to fix. We are figuring at least $5000.

Also what can we spend our paychecks on? I have been keeping receipts for clothes and food. We have 3 paydays this month and we have gotten caught up and have extra money. Which never happens but i'm sure something will come up. I'm almost tempted to buy the dishwasher now. HMM
    FILED CH7: 03/20/09
    341: May 11th, 2009
    DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Well, everything you mentioned is a good choice. Nothing except dishwasher is a luxury. I tried to get my dishwasher replaced with a newer one but she attempted to divorce me, so I shall keep my present dishwasher. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      Well, everything you mentioned is a good choice. Nothing except dishwasher is a luxury. I tried to get my dishwasher replaced with a newer one but she attempted to divorce me, so I shall keep my present dishwasher. 'Hub
      Will they question replacing the dishwasher?
      Being a luxury?

Comment

When I recover from my dishwasher's pounding, I can say more. I can't say now, I just don't know, but it is a repair. Is it needed? We never owned a machine to wash dishes but we are older and used to a sink and rag and soap. Just don't know. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          When I recover from my dishwasher's pounding, I can say more. I can't say now, I just don't know, but it is a repair. Is it needed? We never owned a machine to wash dishes but we are older and used to a sink and rag and soap. Just don't know. 'Hub
          Well seeing there is 6 of us and I have been doing them by hand for over 2 weeks. YES! I just wonder if they would question the need for a new one. Either instead of repair or it wasn't broken to begin with. I guess we keep the old one and they can see it if need be. Or have someone come out and say what it would coist to fix. Which i hate to waste $ on.

Comment

Oh I wanted to ask what if we pay a year of insurance with our tax refund can we still list it as an expense on our budget? Also we plain to buy wood with our refund, but we figured $40 a month in our budget for it. Would that be a problem?

Comment

I can't take it anymore, please help me figure this out!!!

I have been reading this forum for at least 4 months. I am able to figure out most of the abbreviations. But for the life of me I cannot figure out what "DH" stands for. I see it all the time....My dh......tallking to dh...what is a dh?

Comment

DH= Dear Husband

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
                  Oh I wanted to ask what if we pay a year of insurance with our tax refund can we still list it as an expense on our budget? Also we plain to buy wood with our refund, but we figured $40 a month in our budget for it. Would that be a problem?
                  Yes you can list it on the budget. Just because an expense is paid annually does not mean that you can not allocate for it monthly (actually that is what budgeting is!).

BTW, I don't think they will consider a dishwasher a luxury IMO. You can buy a very good medium cost dishwasher for about $250 (check around, the prices might even be better now). Remember, the threshhold for luxury purchases is $600 (I think).

You can pay all of your attorney fees no matter the amount (for the BK), that is an allowable expense. I don't think dental work is a problem, unless you are getting cosmetic dental work and a crown is not in that catagory.
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Oh I wanted to ask what if we pay a year of insurance with our tax refund can we still list it as an expense on our budget?
                    If you divide the year's lump sum by 12, then yes, it's a legitimate monthly expense and you can list the insurance's monthly cost as an expense when you file.

Also we plain to buy wood with our refund, but we figured $40 a month in our budget for it. Would that be a problem?[/COLOR]
                    If $40/month is a typical monthly cost for firewood and you can prove it with receipts from last year or a listing of firewood haulers in your area with their pricing in case your trustee questions it (not likely), you'll be fine.
                    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                      Yes you can list it on the budget. Just because an expense is paid annually does not mean that you can not allocate for it monthly (actually that is what budgeting is!).

BTW, I don't think they will consider a dishwasher a luxury IMO. You can buy a very good medium cost dishwasher for about $250 (check around, the prices might even be better now). Remember, the threshhold for luxury purchases is $600 (I think).

You can pay all of your attorney fees no matter the amount (for the BK), that is an allowable expense. I don't think dental work is a problem, unless you are getting cosmetic dental work and a crown is not in that catagory.
                      What i meant for the annual amount is if we pay something with our tax refund but are still figuring it in our budget. It would of course only be for this year. But that amount we would not be paying.

I forgot about the luxury $600 thing. The dishwasher we are looking at is $400. Cheaper if we can get it on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                        If you divide the year's lump sum by 12, then yes, it's a legitimate monthly expense and you can list the insurance's monthly cost as an expense when you file.

If $40/month is a typical monthly cost for firewood and you can prove it with receipts from last year or a listing of firewood haulers in your area with their pricing in case your trustee questions it (not likely), you'll be fine.
                        My question was wondering if the trsutee would question "you bought something with your refund, why are you figuring it into your budget."

Comment

My question was wondering if the trsutee would question "you bought something with your refund, why are you figuring it into your budget."
                          How would your trustee know from what they see on your bk forms that you bought something before you filed from your tax refund?

The vast majority of trustees aren't like "big brother" looking into every tiny detail of every one of their filers' finances. Unless a trustee suspects a filer is hiding significant assets or outright lying on their forms, they don't have the time or a reason to nickle and dime their way through everyone's personal finances in great detail. 98% of the time, Ch 7 bk filings are incredibly routine with no extra time spent looking at much of anything.

Trustees typically take what they see on your filing forms at face value, check for any indicators that show you may be hiding assets or lying about income or expenses, make a decision if you qualify for the chapter you filed, and move on to the next case. Unless you are hiding assets or deliberately committing bk fraud, you are over-worrying here.
                          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                            How would your trustee know from what they see on your bk forms that you bought something before you filed from your tax refund?

The vast majority of trustees aren't like "big brother" looking into every tiny detail of every one of their filers' finances. Unless a trustee suspects a filer is hiding significant assets or outright lying on their forms, they don't have the time or a reason to nickle and dime their way through everyone's personal finances in great detail. 98% of the time, Ch 7 bk filings are incredibly routine with no extra time spent looking at much of anything.

Trustees typically take what they see on your filing forms at face value, check for any indicators that show you may be hiding assets or lying about income or expenses, make a decision if you qualify for the chapter you filed, and move on to the next case. Unless you are hiding assets or deliberately committing bk fraud, you are over-worrying here.

We were told and do believe reading that the trsustee will most likely ask what we spent our refund on. To have receipts to back it up and spend it on needs and not wants.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X