$6000 Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$6000 Tax Refund

What do I do with a $6000 tax return????

I have no filed yet, but I figure I will file before i receive my refund.

$1100 for my Atty, so what about the other $4900? Can I send say $3000 it to my aunt who has loaned me $8000 over the last 18 months or so and can provide the canceled checks? If so, what about the $1900 leftovers? Maybe a 50K service on my car? I've never had the 10K, 20K, 30k, etc. ever performed on it. I also need a new battery. That should get the leftover down to about $1500. Then what?

Will these expenses fly?
    02/05/09 Filed BK7
    03/11/09 341 Hearing
    05/20/09 Discharged!

If you file BK before you file your 2008 tax return the Trustee will want your refund, UNLESS you exempt your refund in your petition.

You can not pay your Aunt prior to your filing BK. If you do it is considered insider payments and the look back period is ONE YEAR for insider payments. The Trustee can go after anyone (insider) that you paid to get the funds or make you pay the funds to the Trustee.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
      If you file BK before you file your 2008 tax return the Trustee will want your refund, UNLESS you exempt your refund in your petition.

You can not pay your Aunt prior to your filing BK. If you do it is considered insider payments and the look back period is ONE YEAR for insider payments. The Trustee can go after anyone (insider) that you paid to get the funds or make you pay the funds to the Trustee.
      OK, what if I file my tax return electronically on 1/19, and my BK on 1/30? I will also be asking the IRS for a check because I am afraid Discover will jack my checking acct again. Is it the dates of filing that matter or when I actually receive my refund?
      02/05/09 Filed BK7
      03/11/09 341 Hearing
      05/20/09 Discharged!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRip View Post
        OK, what if I file my tax return electronically on 1/19, and my BK on 1/30? I will also be asking the IRS for a check because I am afraid Discover will jack my checking acct again. Is it the dates of filing that matter or when I actually receive my refund?
        You need to spend it before you file.
        Things like food, car repair, your attorney. Needs not wants.
        FILED CH7: 03/20/09
        341: May 11th, 2009
        DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
          You need to spend it before you file.
          Things like food, car repair, your attorney. Needs not wants.
          Yeah, I figured.... How about home improvements like finishing the basement in the town home I want to keep?

Can I throw it into an IRA or anything like that?
          02/05/09 Filed BK7
          03/11/09 341 Hearing
          05/20/09 Discharged!

Comment

What state are you in? Have you checked yet to see if you can exempt any money?
            Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
            341 July 1, 2008
            Discharged September 4, 2008
            Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
              What state are you in? Have you checked yet to see if you can exempt any money?
              Colorado... My Atty did mention he was hoping to wait for my tax return to go through.

This is so bass ackwards... MAKE someone who's broke spend a few bucks that could get them through a couple months, or they lose it. UGH!!!!

New tires & wheels, a visit to Costco for a couple mos groceries, 50K car service at the dealer, have them replace the exhaust that's falling off, prepay my car insurance, maybe some good tequilla while I am at it. Jeez, what a crock!
              02/05/09 Filed BK7
              03/11/09 341 Hearing
              05/20/09 Discharged!

Comment

I don't see that CO allows any cash exemptions so yeah - spend it on stuff you need.
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                341 July 1, 2008
                Discharged September 4, 2008
                Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Colorado... My Atty did mention he was hoping to wait for my tax return to go through.

This is so bass ackwards... MAKE someone who's broke spend a few bucks that could get them through a couple months, or they lose it. UGH!!!!

New tires & wheels, a visit to Costco for a couple mos groceries, 50K car service at the dealer, have them replace the exhaust that's falling off, prepay my car insurance, maybe some good tequilla while I am at it. Jeez, what a crock!

Whatever you do don't pay back a relative or friend! They will go after them for the money and you will lose it.

I was told to buy things like clothes, groceries, tune ups on vehicles, or put into an IRA(if your state lets you exempt them)

Wouldn;t it be nice to save it? lol

Comment

In order to prevent Discover from jacking your checking account again, just close your current checking account and go with a completely different bank.

Comment

Get your refund, pay your attny, spend the rest, do not under any circumstances give any to your aunt, and when it is gone, then file.

I hounded our attny just yesterday about what to do with our refund. IRA's are exempt here, so we will start one, nothing exorbiant, but whatever we can't resonably spend will go there.

We plan on keeping our home, and will probably have it painted inside and out. It is considered upkeep, and if you could see my walls, you would understand! We plan on taking both of our vehicles in for major tune ups. While mine won't need much as it is 3 yrs young, dh's is pushing 100k miles and we need it to last at least until mine is paid for in another 3 yrs or so.
                      Do you need glasses or contacts? If so, get them. Contacts, get an entire years worth. Glasses? Get 2 pairs. I get an inside pair and a pair of sunglasses.
                      Stock up on as much household necessities as you can store. TP doesn't expire as far as I know.
                      Have pets? Been putting off vet visits? Get'er done!
                      Due to the larger than normal refund we are expecting, we are actually getting puppies sooner than we had planned on (next year) as that will help us get through a good chunk.
                      Most meat will keep for 3 months well wrapped in a freezer. If you don't have one, start asking on your local freecycle!
                      You can freeze just about anything.
                      The key here is if you have it in your account, or file before it is spent, it is considered an asset and whatever amount you can't exempt is up for the taking.

I would definitely change banks.

Comment

Look at is this way: Had you adjusted your withholding properly to be breaking even, you would have had $500 more a month coming in to your home. What would that $500 a month (6000 divided by 12 months) done for your personal finances? Would it have helped you avoid bankruptcy, pay some of your bills off, etc.? That's how the Trustee will look it.

Sometimes it wouldn't have made a difference, but still that money is the estate's money unless you are able to exempt it. I wouldn't buy puppies with it. I would focus on things like - medical or dental work you have put off, car repairs (not optional things), etc. I had a friend who had received the insurance money (from a storm) to replace their roof but had never done it (because they never had the extra money to add to the insurance money), so they did in fact do that. Trustee was fine with that. House repairs, eye care, dental care, medical care, etc. If you have extra money to run around and buy optional items (puppies, etc.) then couldn't that money have been used to pay some debt?

Again, think like a Trustee unless you are able to exempt your tax return.

And in the future, adjust your witholdings so you neither owe nor get a refund. (Why give the government an interest-free loan all year?) Let that extra money per month help you get back on your feet!

I know there are people here who get testy with the information, but that is neither here nor there. You are absolutely allowed to have the government hold your money all year and get a huge refund UNTIL you need to file for bankruptcy and are not able to exempt the refund. Then it becomes the Trustee's business how you spend it.

Good luck.

Comment

Get your car repaired, including new tires. When was the last time you bought a winter coat? Boots, hats, gloves? Do you need dental work? How about stocking your pantry with nonperishables and your linen closets with new sheets, as much toilet paper and cleaning product as it can hold? I did these things to spend down the money I had been paying toward my mortgage, and it was DIFFICULT. I was NOT used to having any $$ to spend, and it felt very strange.

But making my car winter-safe is a legitimate expense, and I don't feel bad about it anymore. Buying my kids good, sturdy coats was something I always wanted to do. I didn't buy myself a coat because I didn't need a new one, but I did buy some boots. I got winter clothes for my kids and stocked the pantry and closets.

Comment

FWIW, I never said buy puppies.
                            I said get your pets any medical care that you had been putting off.

It is only our unusual tax situation that is allowing us to get puppies now, and have the money needed to keep them safe, healthy, and unable to procreate.

If you have debt that you could pay that is allowable to do so w/o being considered preferential, by all means do so.

I am a woman, and will even admit that I might be a tad hormonal today, but Yeahdischarged, you came off to me as a puppy hater.

I'll go take a nap and some pamprin now.

Comment

I think yeahdischarged gave some great advice and I don't think he/she sounds like a puppy hater at all. The trustee will want to see how the income tax refund was spent so it's not a good idea to spend it on things that aren't necessities, like puppies. If it were me I would wait until after discharge to get the puppies and spend my tax refund on things like car repairs, food, medical/dental, house repairs, etc. The less the trustee has to question, the better.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X