Should we file chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Should we file chapter 7?

New to the forums - lots of info here...

Here are our personal details as I feel they relate to a possible BK, feel free to give your personal opinion if we should file BK (or not), and the timing. If more info is needed or you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

1) I am a finance manager in the auto industry (15 yrs experience). DW is a homemaker. We have 5 children ranging in age from 2-13.

2) I have earned a large income for many years (but did not save), then that started to decrease rapidly in Sept of last year. In Early November my employer unexpectedly discharged me... I was on unemployment until mid January. I have never been without work in my life before - Prior to the economic downturn, I was usually getting a call every month or two if I want to make a change for more money (I was with my previous employer for 3+ years).

3) Since returning to work, it looks like I will be averaging $6-7000/mo in income, which is about half of what I was making a year ago... In July it could be as much as $9-10,000/mo or more, but it depends on how many vehicles the dealerships sells.

4) Spoke to an attorney who does ch7 and ch7 only (his fee is only $400 also), based on an intial phone interview, he indicated I would likely qualify for a 7, as the basis for qualification is a $98000 annual income cutoff (based on an average of the last 6 months income).

5) 1st mortgage is in pre-forclosue (~14000 in arrears, 5 months), 2nd mortgage is 75 days behind (~900). Currently we have a strong desire to keep the home, if our modification request can be granted. There is little equity there though, so I suppose we could leave it and rent if there is no other choice.

6) 4 auto loans / leases
    i) Leased liesure vehicle 38000 owed, 25000 value - $422/mo payment and I have someone willing to take over the lease if I pay $2300 in back payments
    ii) Work vehicle daily driver 45mpg 16500 owed, 11000 value - 349/mo payment and the lender wants $1047 or the car back in the next couple of days
    iii) Family minivan daily use $4500 owed, 4000 value - will be keeping, and it's current
    iv) Previous mivivan, not being driven $4800 owed, 3000 value - $300 to be paid asap if I want to keep it (only if we are not filing BK)

7) Civil Judgement for $6300, $5100 balance and they placed a lien against the home last year - BK attorney says for additional monies he can motion the BK judge to void the lien...

8) Various credit cards totaling ~ 20000, most of them are currently intrest free, the one that isn't is 90 days past due.

The attorneys tell me to get the mortgage workout/modification in place and confirm that if I file 7 and re-affirm they will not void the workout, then file - I will likely give all the vehicles back to the creditors except for the daily use minivan.

I am thinking there is a chance I can avoid BK altogether, by borrowing money from my employer and hopefully working out the mortgage.

What are the thoughts and questions of those on the forums?

Most of us learned long ago that, it s impossible to borrow your way out of debt. All you do is move around the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    What exactly will borrowing from your employer do for you? You still have ongoing bills you can't pay and if you default on a loan from your employer-there goes your job and any chance of a decent reference for your next job search.
    BTW, nail down what a bk will cost you in legal fees. No lawyer works for just $400.
    And yes, 522[f] 0f the bk code provides for lein avoidance.

Comment

Thank you for responding keepmine.

I understand wholeheartedly that borrowing from my employer is not the best idea - especially if I end up in a BK later. I have to decide now what to do. Once one car goes back (the deficiency will be several thousand dollars), the dominos will begin to fall...

I was thinking I could borrow the $2300 to transfer the leased car (saving me $500 a month including auto insurance - and also borrow the $1047 to get current on the daily driver. The $3400 would simply be an intrest free loan against future payroll, and would work because I am currently making house payments (they will not accept them). Once the workout/modification on the home is approved, then I will need to resume making house payments.

I am really on the fence as far as which way to go. I can try and pull out of it, or just give up now and begin the process of filing...

Comment

Originally posted by ShouldWeFile View Post
        ... because I am currently making house payments (they will not accept them)...
        this should read "because I am NOT currently making house payments!"

Comment

$400 attorney?

It reads like you're upside down on all your secured credit. I'd look to file, keep the house as you claim you have equity in it and let everything else go.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If I understood right, if you file chapter 7 and don't keep the house you and your husband get $50,000. That sounded pretty good to me since I'll never get that much if I sell my house but I didn't qualify for Chapter 7!!!
            Entered debt settlement in 2006
            Filed bankrupcy in 2008
            Stuck with $2,343 payment in 2009

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              $400 attorney?

It reads like you're upside down on all your secured credit. I'd look to file, keep the house as you claim you have equity in it and let everything else go.
              Funny that everyone is surprised about the $400 atty... He has been doing chapter 7 cases for at least 15 years in my area, as I see his name every once in a while on my customer's credit reports. I actually consulted with him back in 1997 about doing a chapter 7 at that time. When I referred my creditors to his office, they stopped calling me. We managed to charge off most of the unsecured debt and then settle it from retirement account proceeds (not the wisest decision I know), and subsequently we bought our first home in 1999. He doesn't do chapter 13, or any practice in any other area of law. He is short, sweet and to the point and likely does at least 25 or more new BK's every month. I am sure he does fine charging only $400.

In any case, yes, upside down on all the cars, and I am guessing the home to be valued at $280k, though we built it new for $300 in 2001. First mortgage balance is $258K, second @ $19k, so technically there is virtually no equity there either.

Comment

Originally posted by lonesumluser View Post
                If I understood right, if you file chapter 7 and don't keep the house you and your husband get $50,000. That sounded pretty good to me since I'll never get that much if I sell my house but I didn't qualify for Chapter 7!!!
                You lost me here, perhaps you were trying to respond to another thread?

Comment

What is this I am reading about everyone's tax return moneys being taken by the trustee...

How does this work? Basically, the law says I should not have any monies due to me at the time of filing BK, and if I do they are assets? I have not yet filed my 2008 return, but I would expect between $2-5k like we get most years. If I am understanding correctly, this would go the the trustee if we should decide to file BK.

I am also guessing if I file the tax return and get the monies asap, that I must wait at least 60+ days after using any of those monies before I can file?

Comment

Originally posted by ShouldWeFile View Post
                    What is this I am reading about everyone's tax return moneys being taken by the trustee...

How does this work? Basically, the law says I should not have any monies due to me at the time of filing BK, and if I do they are assets? I have not yet filed my 2008 return, but I would expect between $2-5k like we get most years. If I am understanding correctly, this would go the the trustee if we should decide to file BK.

I am also guessing if I file the tax return and get the monies asap, that I must wait at least 60+ days after using any of those monies before I can file?
                    Depends on if, your lawyer can exempt the refund. Some states have a high enough wildcard provision that the refund is sheltered.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                      Depends on if, your lawyer can exempt the refund. Some states have a high enough wildcard provision that the refund is sheltered.
                      Thanks for the info keepmine. I believe IL has a wildcard exemption of $2k.

I am still on the fence, as to try and continue treading water and slowly crawling out of this situation, or just drop the hammer and file...

The other thing that leaves me unsure is what the results of our Mortgage workout/ modification will be.

Comment

Though we've not made a firm decision as to file or not, I am going to pay on the daily driver car to keep it afloat...

Just gonna keep treading water for now!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X