My shocking confession...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My shocking confession...

I realized a couple of days ago, to my great shock, that my husband and I are going to have to file for Chapter 13. We are $175K in debt, and did not receive the usual annual bonus that we use to keep all those credit cards afloat throughout the year. As I did bills last week I was terrified to realize that, without that bonus, we are absolutely incapable of making payments and bankruptcy is the only option. In my mind, we were going to have to file do to circumstances beyond our control - the missed bonus, which is due to the economy.

Then last night, laying in bed, I had the must stunning realization, so stunning that it literally took my breath away and made my heart race. The realization: this is MY fault. My husband and I did this to ourselves. It has been a slow 15-year death to our finances, both independently and together, due to our total lack of budgeting and self-control. If we hadn't shopped ourselves $175K into debt, the lack of a bonus would probably have been little more than a bummer, a blip.

Now this might seem like no big deal to you. But I'm here to tell you that after 15+ years of denial, it was one of the biggest shocks of my life.

I got my first credit card when I was sixteen years old. I have never NOT had a credit card. I have never truly understood what it means to simply not be able to "afford" something (to not buy it because the money coming from my paycheck would not cover a cash purchase). Despite a few attempts through the years, I have NEVER EVER had a true budget that I stuck to. How insane is that? But my concept of financial reality - of reality overall - has never, ever not included a credit card. I never thought of the credit card as being an actual loan. I just saw it as being there to use.

As I start to work on a real budget for our family, it is amazing to me that I have never truly had any concept of the boundaries of what we can afford. It's like trying to park a car, but you have no idea how big the car is... no idea of the boundaries you have to account for (especially since I have never truly accounted for anything). Money has a truly abstract meaning to me... it's not a concrete thing, it has permeable edges and changes shape.

This morning I pulled out a book called "Financial Planning for Dummies" from the shelf, which I've had forever. This could be a starting point for understanding how to budget. Inside the front cover I found a sheet of paper dated January 1999... where I had calculated that with $20K of debt and a $25K salary, I was in bad financial shape and needed to turn it around. Ha! Every so often, my husband and I would calculate our debt and have a couple of days of austerity and deer-in-the-headlights fear and then, of course, it would slip away. Time after time I would say, "Babe, we're really getting ourselves into trouble." We would feel shamed and stressed. Then, to relieve my stress, I would go online and buy something and I could feel the stress of reality slide from my shoulders and I felt better. True story.

Over the last three years, I've been a stay at home mom and the shopping has really spiraled downward. Online shopping has given me instant gratification after hours of wiping kids behinds, made me feel glamorous when my jeans no longer fit, entertained me after a day of being smeared with baby boogers during cold season. It helped me avoid the fact that I probably have some level of depression that needs to be addressed directly, instead of being hidden under a pile of delivery boxes from online stores and ebay. I was in denial, and that's on me. Planning the purchase was exhilerating... imagining how I would be a better mom/thinner/smarter/enviable to friends... and then once the item arrived, it was sort of "eh" after a couple of days. Same for my husband; we pretty much enabled each other. And we realized that despite this decade-long $175K shopping spree, we can't really remember any truly awesome purchases that changed our lives in any real sense. We spent tons of money on little or medium-sized (or, as time went on, bigger and bigger) crap. We were buying fantasies of happiness and convinced that we "deserved" these things. We frittered it away on gourmet groceries and expensive meals that literally turned into our s***.

My husband is a lawyer, and I was a reporter and now a stay-at-home mom. We vote and pay our taxes and attend church and go through all the responsible motions in life, but the reality is that we are total frauds. I realize I lie constantly to our family members about where I purchased things and how much I paid ("It was on 80% sale!" "It cost practically nothing on Craigslist! Can you believe it!") In addition to creating a budget, being enlightened on our actual income and what we can actually do with it on a cash-based (i.e. reality-based) basis, I am looking into debtors anonymous and shopping addiction resources. Clearly both he and I have a very unhealthy relationship with spending and money and credit, which we have each had our entire adult lives and will take some time to unwind.

So there you have it; that's my story. Just thought I would confess.

You mean, you are not waiting for your bailout??? LOL

What a great story. As for your depression and shopping addiction, I think you might be over 50% recovered, the rest will come in time.

File the BK, have no regrets, budget your spending from now on, and live happily.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
      I think you might be over 50% recovered, the rest will come in time.

That was good......made me have a good chuckle

To the OP, ...It's a process...give youself a couple of weeks...u will see everything in a whole different light...kinda like being in the matrix, but never seeing until u get unplugged...
      2009-Jan: Retained Atty
      2009-Oct: Filed Ch7
      2009-Nov: 341 held
      2010-Jan: Discharged on Pacer

Comment

Originally posted by mkuki View Post
        To the OP, ...It's a process...give youself a couple of weeks...u will see everything in a whole different light...kinda like being in the matrix, but never seeing until u get unplugged...
        It is SO ironic that you should say that, because that is EXACTLY the analogy I used with my husband. He's a huge Matrix fan, so I knew this would connect with him... LOL!

Comment

First off, you are not 'Frauds'. Credit cards companies have made so easy for people to 'use' them as they please. And then you end up not paying the debt off at the end of the month an get hit with enormeous interest charges.

We stopped paying al but 4 of our credit cards in Sept. and the other 4 I made the payments plus added a bit each month as we had use 3 of them in August (less than $1,000) and I had made a balance transfer on the other to geta 2.99% rate after receiving a check to do so. We spoke with an Attorney the end of September and he said we definitely would qualify for a Chapter 7.

However, we're going to have to wait until Sept. as I withdrew the last of my IRA account this month and don't want it showing in our income. It's not easy living without Credit Cards BUT it can be done.

The number of Bankruptcies being filed are astronomical. I was able to make the monthly minimum payments until the Credit Card Companies raised the minimum from 2% - 4% and jacked up the interest rate.

Yes, it can be humiliating if you let it be. I've had to go on Anti-Depressants and have lost 25 lbs since our first visit with the Attorney. I've spent most of days just filing out the paperwork (Assets and Liabilities).

Start keeping all your receipts for everything. Make you a Spreadsheet with headings for Grocery, Gas, Insurance and so forth. Figuring out your expenses will be based on the previous year's expenses. Your income will be based on Gross Not Net which 'Sucks' IMHO.

But, you are not alone and as long as a Single Charge is under $600-$1,000, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you have a recent charge, then you will probably need to wait.

When the phone calls started, I just told them we were filing bankruptcy and they asked me for our Attorney's name and phone #. That last until the end of this month and they have started again. I spoke with one CC company and she wanted to know why we hadn't already filed. I told her because I have Skin Cancer (which is not a lie) and she was real nice. Talked to Attorney the next day and he said you have caller ID, just don't answer the phone.

O and if you have a Bank of America card and bank with them, immediately go close that checking account and get one somewhere else. This goes for any CC, car loan etc. you might have a checking account with.

Utilize this Board to it's fullest as the Attorney does not always tell you everything. I don't post often, but I have researched all the individual forums like the Exemption forum etc.

Just remember, you and your husband are Not Fraud nor failures. Bankruptcy happens to "Good People' too.

Good Luck!

Luci

Comment

Hmm, you must have missed the epilogue when Neo is on the phone.

Comment

Congratulations!! Your situation seems like ours. We were in such denial. We knew it was there all along but didn't want to face it. We have tried to face it many times over the past few years but always went back to our destructive ways. Sometimes I thought we are already in debt whats another $100. I think we really thought we would win the lottery or something to get us out of our mess. LOL. Now that we have truely faced it I feel so free.

Comment

Don't swing too far the other way, if you do, you might find grubs and grasshoppers tasting good.
                Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Yes, the Matrix is actually a great analogy for people to relate to. The CC companies want you plugged in, they have all sorts of reasons for you to stay plugged in and they will try to finish you off if you unplug yourself.

OK, but seriously, atleast you are finally coming to terms with it. Imagine, you could be there 5 or 10 years from now, so good for you for atleast getting this far.

Good luck and let us know how it progresses, there are tons of people on this forum that have been through this mess, my BK was for over 930k! yikes.
                  Filed: 11/25/08 - chp 7 no asset
                  Discharged: 2/24/09 CLOSED 3/7/09!

Comment

To the OP...this economy is giving lots of folks a big slap of reality to make them face the denial they have been in for quite some time. Many folks now are looking at all the "stuff" they have purchased over the years and they cannot even sell it now cause even collectibles are not worth that much and no collectors want to buy anything cause no one is buying from them - Antiques Roadshow is even hurting. However, family life and board games/staying home to eat, etc. are bringing the family back that once was out in the mall spending money. Something finally happens when you have accumulated a lot of debt that you deny you have and makes you actually look at it and it makes one feel so awful and embarrassed that they allowed themselves to do all that. When you put it down on paper it can be quite an eye opener. You actually realize short of hitting Mega Millions that you will never be able to pay it off or, if you lost your job, you just now joined the gang spiraling down the big black hole to BK.

It seems like you have taken some steps to work with this and cope but believe me, the lifestyle change is not going to be easy and it is something you will really have to work at to get through this and keep your future in a better place. It might help you and your hubby both to join a support group for shopaholics to help you get through all this and this forum is also a great place for support.

You are not "frauds" as you state in your posting - you just lived beyond your means that's all. All the stuff made you both feel good and it made you look good to your family and friends and you relished the thought of doing well and being able to buy it all. But you really could not afford it. It's just what America has been doing for a while and has now come to a crashing halt for most.

Welcome to the forum....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

hartfordson and sweetpotato are one and the same

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X