top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you calculate social security DMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you calculate social security DMI?

help me understand this... if you are way under the means on your taxable income, but 6k over due to SS, how do you calculate DMI? its the DMI that would force me into a 13...

what i dont understand, is that SS is not used on the means calculation, but still force you into excess DMI... if it was ment to be that way, why dont they just use the SS on the means test in the first place? is it just up to a trustees opinion as to what excess DMI is?

will the SS be calculated differently than regular income if im in a 13 plan?

this just isnt making sense to me, help me understand how a trustee will handle such a situation..
    "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

I will be watching the site for any answer that you get--i have exactly the same questions I can pass the means test but when social security is included in DMI I have excess

Comment

Are you talking about social security tax deductions from your income? If so, it is deductible on line 25 of the means test:

Other Necessary Expenses: taxes. Enter the total average monthly expense that you actually incur for all
      federal, state and local taxes, other than real estate and sales taxes, such as income taxes, self-employment
      taxes, social-security taxes, and Medicare taxes. Do not include real estate or sales taxes.
      Are you "over due to ss" because of underwithholding or you are self-employed and didn't make estimated payments? If so, I'm not sure how that would be handled on the means test. It says to enter expenses "you actually incur". Just because you didn't pay the ss tax doesn't mean you didn't incur it. So, it seems logical to me that you can included it on line 25.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I'm not sure I understand... Social Security income is not "counted" for the means test, which I see you posted about. Are you saying DMI for Schedule I as disposable income?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X