Family member holds title to my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family member holds title to my car

Short and sweet - My credit sucks, a family member bought a car for me and I make payments, I put $10,000 down & owe family member another $10,000. I've been making payments. Is this legal? Will this be viewed as Preferential Treatment?

A question first - do you and the relative have a legal, signed, notarized loan agreement with signatures on it for the $10K? Or is it a "handshake" deal?
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

right now, "handshake deal" but I haven't filed yet, so not sure what to do. I gave my Mom $10,000 towards a $20,000 car - title is currently in her name, not sure what I should do..HELP!

Comment

How long ago did you give the 10k?
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Sounds like you are actually renting use of the car from her.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
            Sounds like you are actually renting use of the car from her.
            That's the ticket. I like that answer. Still the open question, how long ago. You sure do not want to look like preferential or insider payment. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi. I'm doing the same thing with my mom. Just a handshake deal. Truck is a little cheaper = $11K. Did this recently, as of November 2008. I plan to keep the car and continue making payments, but everything is in her name. My lawyer doesn't seem to know how to treat this. I explained this to the trustee and they didn't seem to question it at the 341. Don't know if that is good or bad. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bumpruptcy View Post
                Hi. I'm doing the same thing with my mom. Just a handshake deal. Truck is a little cheaper = $11K. Did this recently, as of November 2008. I plan to keep the car and continue making payments, but everything is in her name. My lawyer doesn't seem to know how to treat this. I explained this to the trustee and they didn't seem to question it at the 341. Don't know if that is good or bad. Any thoughts? Thanks.
                Did you transfer money to your mother in the last year? If so that could be seen as hiding assets, though since you've fully revealed it to the lawyer and trustee I think you'll be fine. They can seek money back from an insider to pay creditors though if they deem the amount worth it and the OP 10k is worth it.

Comment

Yep I paid my mom

I paid my mom. $1100 to start and $200 everything month thereafter. I didn't say anything about the $1100. I wonder if it is even possible for me to contact another attorney to draw up some sort of notarized document that indicates that my mom holds the title, but I am paying for use of the car. Is that even something I should try to pursue? Thanks.

Comment

I'd call your lawyer and get his opinion. That's what you are paying him for and he'd have a better idea of how the trustee will act in your area.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X