i need help big time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need help big time

i just filled a bk not not to long ago and yesturday i just won $100.000. im really scared that im not going to get any of the money. its the first time in my life that i would be able to have money. my case is already discharged and in the case was a house for about 120.000 and around 20.000 in other debt. im wondering if ther is any way for me to keep the money without getting in trouble or if ill get in trouble at all if i cash the check. i called my bk lawyer and she doesnt know for sure whats going to happen so ive been calling around to other lawyers and i cant get any kind of a answer. please somebody help me out and give me some good news

Are you dscharged and closed? Or just discharged?

Wow! 100,000.00, how did you win that!

Comment

i think im just discharged, i won on a drawing that i got entered in about 2 years ago.

Comment

Are you sure you won and it's not a scam? Cuz the Nigerians email me all the time telling me they have money for me.
        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

According to my lawyer, if you win a lottery, it is yours to keep after discharge.

Relief has a good point, check it out.

Comment

Yeah, those Nigerians love me too.

One tried to rent me a house from Nigeria.

Boardmission, I think you may be my long lost cousin!

Just kiddin, congrats if it is legit.

You have posed the question we all want to know the answer to, if I win the lotttery after BK, is it mine?

If it is a legit win, you will have to let us know what happens.

Comment

i won a 1,000.00 about 2 years ago(yes the most money i ever won at the time) on a scratch off ticket from the ohio lottery and with this i got entered into this drawing for 100,000.00 and i didnt really think much of it until i found out that i had a 1 in 20 shoot at winning.

Comment

if i get to keep it ill let you know. i just found this....

it sounds hopeful

Comment

Originally posted by boardmission View Post
                  i won a 1,000.00 about 2 years ago(yes the most money i ever won at the time) on a scratch off ticket from the ohio lottery and with this i got entered into this drawing for 100,000.00 and i didnt really think much of it until i found out that i had a 1 in 20 shoot at winning.
                  Way to go!!! So nice to hear a happy story.

I would definitely run this by the lawyer though. Winning the lottery after discharge is yours to keep, unless you purchased the ticket before filing.

Trustee might deem that the ticket for the winnings was purchased pre BK.

Still a nice chunk of change though even if he takes some.

Comment

Not to dilute the hopeful joy here, but also take a look at a 2008 case in Kansas where a man won $100,000 in the KS lottery 10 days before his Ch 7 case was due to be discharged. The trustee told Mr. Vogeler not to spend the money, but he did anyway. The trustee eventually took him to court and the judge granted the trustee's request to dismiss his Ch 7 case. Mr. Vogeler ended up owing all his debts again plus the late fees and penalties imposed by his creditors after the case was dismissed.

See http://www.ksb.uscourts.gov/images/k...7-20620-45.pdf for the details (warning - a court document full of legalese )
                    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Are you sure it's the Ohio lottery? The Ohio lottery does not have any games with second chances that win 100K after two years. They do have second chance games, but the second chance is within months of winning on the original ticket.

Are you sure this is legit? There are hundreds of scams out there just waiting to fleece people. Some of the clues of a scam would be requesting your bank info, asking for you to send money to them first (for processing, of course), and having most of the contact come from email usually with hotmail or gmail...or one of the other generic sites that anyone can register too.

So many people have fallen for these scams because they sound so legit. If you want more info about them...go to http://www.419eater.com and check out their forum. They are a group of folks who are involved with scamming the scammers. Some of the things they do are pretty interesting.

D....

Comment

In most cases anything that happens...winning lottery, getting better job, raise, etc will not affect your BK after you have officially been discharged.

That said, even though you technically won the money after the discharge it may be different because the winnings were due to acctions taken before the BK.(entering lotto, winning that then put you into new drawing) I think that adds a huge complication.

Also, besides all the BK tangle, remember that the IRS will be holding their hand out for their portion of the winnings.

I think you should get in touch with your atty.
                        I hope everything works out....I love happy endings.

Comment

if you go to this link it shows what i won they havent put my pic on it cause i just won on3/19/09 but it will be on there soon. i have a meeting with my lawyer this week so i hope i get good news thanks for all the advice.

We can’t seem to find the page you’re looking for. You should have better luck by searching for your topic in the upper right corner or check out the site map.

Comment

Well that is awesome! I am so happy for you.

If only we could all win something like this......
                            Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                            341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                            Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X