Do I Tell the Boss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Tell the Boss?

Is there any advantage in telling my boss about my bankrupcty?

I know the bankruptcy will be published in the paper here locally - and he will find out - but I'm debating a pre-emptive 'strike' ...

Thoughts, advice???

If he's likely to find out anyway I'd go ahead and tell them.

He might respect you more for coming and telling him rather than just letting him find out.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

First, scan your employee handbook or employment contract, if you have one. Depending on your position or your job, you may have to advise your employer that you filed. Many employment contracts have clauses stating that and some companies have that policy. If not, it is up to you whether or not to tell your boss; if it makes you feel better and it bothers you, then by all means tell him because whether you know it or not, he probably suspects something is going on because you could have been out of the office more, on personal calls more or acting differently on the job due to financial stress.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Flamingo has it RIGHT ON. You may not notice, but stress shows. It may explain a lot of things to your boss and others that they may have noticed about irregularities or errors due to stress. Also, putting it in the open makes you look as if you had control and were not hiding a "business decission". 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree with Flamingo.

Also, if you have corporate credit card it may be an issue. A lot of times once you file all cards (even those with a 0 balance) will cancel the card immediately.

Plus if you are required to expense certain items it may be an issue if you do not have personal credit to afford the items.

Basically, only tell him if you are required by the job or know 100% it will be in the paper.

If you are not required by an employment contract I would wait until it appears in the paper and then tell.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X