BK attroneys are really busy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK attroneys are really busy!

I talked to my attorney yesterday on the phone.
    He comes from a small town about 40 miles up the road.
    At the end of the conversation he told me that he would see me at the 31 meeting a week from Friday.
    He told me that he had "several" other cases here that same day.
    At least someone is still working.

The hot practice areas for attorneys now are, of course, bankruptcy and elder law. There are many law firms going out of business or merging due to lack of other cases/matters due to the downturn in the economy.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I know that when we were searching for one late last October that we called and left messages for many but got very few return calls.
      Many in this area wanted $4-5000 to file.
      We had to find someone that was cheaper and finally found an experienced firm for $1500 total. They are 50 miles out of town and we made a number of trips to the offices but still saved money in the process.

Comment

I know when we had called and left a message for ours in Feb. we were told that he'd get back to us as soon as possible but that he had about 70 phone calls to return just that day alone.

Comment

Yes, when I made calls to all that showed they did BK work in this smaller area I got not one reply for about 8 calls at first.
          A week later I called again. I did manage to talk to one secretary and she told us their normal fee was $4500 with $500 up front before they would talk to us. And she made it clear that all monies must be paid up front before they would file.
          At that point I tried others with no returned calls again. I waited about another week before I went out of town to find one. Even then it was a month before we could get our first appointment to get advice.
          Even at what we paid, $1500 we were shy of having enough money to pay the debt so we sold a couple of smaller items off we did not need to pay the bill up front.

Comment

I called a couple attorneys last week to set up consultations and one of the attorneys was booked until June!
            Filed 5/29/09
            Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

At my 341 meeting there were two attorneys who were each representing about 10 people. They'd have to get up and quickly put a file away as one client finished with the Trustee, grab the next file and introduce themselves again as the next person's attorney. The trustee didn't seem very happy with the two of them and said he was going to automatically continue all of their cases because their firm was not properly filling out one of his forms. It was like watching a child get reprimanded by his father. I felt bad for the attorney and ALL of his clients.
              12/05/08 - filed pro se
              01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
              04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
              6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X