Selling stuff to make ends meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling stuff to make ends meet

If a person is selling items on Craigslist such as tools, welders, and various other items, how is it looked upon by the Trustee? Especially if cash money is used to keep a checking account in the positive,help feed your family and, pay the bills?
    6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
    10/06/2009 Discharged
    01/24/2011 Closed

Many sell HH goods in an attempt to stay afloat. This is no issue at all. Trustees have no interest in used consumer products.
    If, you are still paying on debts you'll discharge in bk, stop doing that and use that monsy for living expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
      Many sell HH goods in an attempt to stay afloat. This is no issue at all. Trustees have no interest in used consumer products.
      If, you are still paying on debts you'll discharge in bk, stop doing that and use that monsy for living expenses.
      AMEN on "keepmine". Keep all reciepts and stop paying cc cards now, as you must save up for your lawyer. Remember, it is a business decission, and you have come to the right place for advice. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
        Really? So does that mean I don't have to list toasters, weedwhackers, power drills, etc as assets? Is there a rule of thumb as to what gets listed? I saw an attorney on a free consult and tried to ask him this stuff but couldn't get a straight answer out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey66 View Post
          Really? So does that mean I don't have to list toasters, weedwhackers, power drills, etc as assets?
          No, you have to include all of these when you value your household goods on the bk forms.

Is there a rule of thumb as to what gets listed?
          Most trustees will accept a blanket amount for all household goods. The average US household goods are worth between $3,000-4,000. Anything that has significant independent value - guns, artwork, jewelry, etc - then those are valued separately from your household goods.

Rarely a few trustees will require a complete listing of all your household goods item by item. Be praying you don't get one of these nit-picking trustees!

I saw an attorney on a free consult and tried to ask him this stuff but couldn't get a straight answer out of him.
          This is exactly why you need to interview more than one attorney before settling on one. See at least 3-4 asking them all the same questions, then make up your mind about which one will represent you best. And often it isn't the cheapest one and also not the most expensive one either.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Comment

I photographed everything and gave a value to each lot. Nobody has questioned what I dd nor the value I assigned to each lot.
              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

craigslist has been my friend lately, Oh and to answer the op's original question of how does the trustee know... "it is none of their frickin business." I gotta pay my lawyer with something!!

PS man does ebay's fees suck!! specially when you have to go through paypal!!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  AMEN on "keepmine". Keep all reciepts and stop paying cc cards now, as you must save up for your lawyer. Remember, it is a business decission, and you have come to the right place for advice. 'Hub
                  As long as you can separate the wheat from the chaff. [shrug]

Disclaimer: Even attorneys sometimes give wrong advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
                    craigslist has been my friend lately, Oh and to answer the op's original question of how does the trustee know... "it is none of their frickin business." I gotta pay my lawyer with something!!

PS man does ebay's fees suck!! specially when you have to go through paypal!!
                    Same here, I sold some stuff on Ebay, Craigslist & had a garage sale to come up with some my atty fees. And Ebay/Paypal fees do suck.
                    Filed 5/29/09
                    Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

I had been selling things on CL to make a little extra here and there -- it's how I paid for Christmas. I have stopped selling as of my filing because I was under the impression that we were not allowed to sell or give anything away during the bankruptcy.
                      Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                      341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Originally posted by BkinTX View Post
                        I had been selling things on CL to make a little extra here and there -- it's how I paid for Christmas. I have stopped selling as of my filing because I was under the impression that we were not allowed to sell or give anything away during the bankruptcy.
                        Off topic, but watch out for using paypal. had a girl want to buy my xbox 360 and use paypal. When I asked her address to ship it to, guess where??? Nigeria. Sorry girl I wasn't born yesterday.

Anyhow, they steal someones Paypal account and then have you ship the mdse. you think what the heck I got the money, until it is disputed by the actual owner and then paypal charges your card/bank account or sues you.

thats why I like craigs list and remember, cash is king baby

Comment

I've only sold locally and always accept cash only. Too many shady people.
                          Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                          341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Could not agree more...

[/QUOTE]
                            This is exactly why you need to interview more than one attorney before settling on one. See at least 3-4 asking them all the same questions, then make up your mind about which one will represent you best. And often it isn't the cheapest one and also not the most expensive one either.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. Trust your instincts on an attorney. Pay attention to how they are treating you when you call them and they don't know you from Adam. Are they responsive? Do they listen to you? Don't accept the highest bid, don't accept the lowest.

Remember, no matter how nice they may seem, they are in a business!

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                              I photographed everything and gave a value to each lot. Nobody has questioned what I dd nor the value I assigned to each lot.
                              Did the trustee want to see the pictures, or did you just whip them out before anyone had a chance to ask?

Did he come over and verify the pictures to make sure you weren't hiding an undeclared puppy in the basement?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X