Bankruptcy Questionarie asking for SS#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy Questionarie asking for SS#

I printed off a Bankruptcy Questionaire from an attorney's website. It asks for a SS#.

I am wondering if I should leave it blank when I fax it to them since it is only a questionaire and then provide it when I actually speak with them.

I suppose they need it to get the big picture but it seems like a lot to give out right now.

How have you handled it?
    Feb 2010 - Filed Chapter 7
    March 2010 - 341 Meeting
    May 2010 - Discharged
    June 2010 - Closed

Once you file you would obviously have to provide the SSN. Beforehand I don't really see the point. I'd leave it blank myself. The only use would be to pull a credit report but that's hardly reliable.

btw F you Transunion!!!!
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

If you have paid the attorney and are going to use them, what the 'f' is the problem.

Now, if this just for the initial consultation, then I wouldn't provide it, but if you have retained the attorney, what does it matter, they need the SSN, it is a requirement to file.

Comment

Wow, that seemed kinda harsh.

Yes you will need to provide it at some point if you are serious about filing.

That being said.......I would NEVER fax something to anyone with my social security number on it. Too risky IMO. Just as I would never email that information to anyone either..........

Better safe than sorry.

Karen
        You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Common sense prevails here. As HHM stated, if you retained the attorney, send the SS. If you have not retained the attorney, don't provide it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic09 View Post
            I printed off a Bankruptcy Questionaire from an attorney's website. It asks for a SS#.

I am wondering if I should leave it blank when I fax it to them since it is only a questionaire and then provide it when I actually speak with them.

I suppose they need it to get the big picture but it seems like a lot to give out right now.

How have you handled it?
            Yes, unless you have already met with the attorney and have already decided that you are using him/her, I wouldn't fax it with your SSN on it. Have you talked to the attorney on the phone yet? Defiantely meet them in person first.

But if you decide to use this person, the "questionairre" you talking about will be the one you will need to fill out when you start the process anyhow. Mine was called a "Client Questionairre". It is a 20-something page form that asks about your income, debts, assets, value of things you own, etc... That is how they get all the information they need to do your filing.

Is that what the questionairre you printed like? Or Is it some sort of one page evaluation sort of form or a big long 20 pager? The 20 pager will ask for your creditors info and you account numbers.

If it is a 20 pager, I wouldn't fill out all the personal info until you know you want to use this person. Don't fax give it to them in person. Can't be too careful with your personal information these days.
            "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
            http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
            1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

You just confirmed what I had been thinking so thank you.

The questionaire I was talking about was just a three page questionaire. It was called a Bankruptcy Questionaire. The only question I did not like was the one asking for the SS# so I did not provide it.

I did come across where some attorney's were asking you to fill out the "Client Questionaire" which was asking for too many personal details to fill out considering you had not hired them yet.

It appreciate having this forum as a sounding board each step of the way.
              Feb 2010 - Filed Chapter 7
              March 2010 - 341 Meeting
              May 2010 - Discharged
              June 2010 - Closed

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic09 View Post
                You just confirmed what I had been thinking so thank you.

The questionaire I was talking about was just a three page questionaire. It was called a Bankruptcy Questionaire. The only question I did not like was the one asking for the SS# so I did not provide it.

I did come across where some attorney's were asking you to fill out the "Client Questionaire" which was asking for too many personal details to fill out considering you had not hired them yet.

It appreciate having this forum as a sounding board each step of the way.
                Ah, good, glad you figured it out. Sounds like what you printed was like a evaluation or something - probably something with enough info so the attorney can find out what sort of case they will be looking at for you and if you qualify to do any sort of bankruptcy - maybe their way of cutting down on unnecessary in-person appointments or something. Sort of like a pre-initial consultation or something.
                "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
                http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
                1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X