top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom line...did you get "relief," or did it ruin your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom line...did you get "relief," or did it ruin your life?

After as much researching as I can handle, I feel that bankruptcy will the worst thing that can happen to our family. This is because I have NO enjoyment without my trail-riding horses. I have to have a truck and trailer to take them. I have a measly part-time job, and in this economy, I can't get anyone to give me the time of day for a second job. Dh is self-employed and if he loses truck, tools, fax, computer, etc. he won't be able to work. Moving all this crap (it's BAD) will likely kill us. I see us living in a rat-hole dump (I just looked at one that is HAUNTING me!) We're in GA...am I catastrophizing or will it really be this bad????

Best thing I did. Made some lifestyle changes, charge nothing and buy only when I have the cash saved. It was a huge relief.

Comment

The worst thing people have to deal with is the lifestyle change that BK brings. Surviving on cash only after being used to credit to fund everything from vacations to a pair of shoes in 9 different colors is not available and many folks are just so used to reaching for the card or getting the cash advance/loan and buying and going beyond their means. While BK can elimimate the debt, it can't eliminate the mindset. That is something that you personally have to work on as we all have hit that wall somewhere during the BK trip. While you may have to scale back for a while, with good planning and budgeting you can have it all back. That will all be up to your good planning and deducation and how badly you really want it to work.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Inthestorm View Post
        After as much researching as I can handle, I feel that bankruptcy will the worst thing that can happen to our family. This is because I have NO enjoyment without my trail-riding horses. I have to have a truck and trailer to take them. I have a measly part-time job, and in this economy, I can't get anyone to give me the time of day for a second job. Dh is self-employed and if he loses truck, tools, fax, computer, etc. he won't be able to work. Moving all this crap (it's BAD) will likely kill us. I see us living in a rat-hole dump (I just looked at one that is HAUNTING me!) We're in GA...am I catastrophizing or will it really be this bad????
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

If you are going to deal in money orders let me just say please get a postal money order as they are guaranteed! The ones you get at stores are not. I lost my money that way because the company that carried the MO went out of Biz!
          Just FYI

Comment

Best thing we ever did! We dumped our pos house and got a brand new house in a quiet subdivision. We are paying all of our bills on time. The only thing we are worried about it getting a new vehicle. But that is it. So far everything else if fabulous! Hopefully your horses and stuff can be exempt. Have you talked to your lawyer yet? Are they registered? If not how can they prove they are yours? Will someone in your fam or friends say they are theirs and they just keep them there. Good luck... It has worked well for us so far. We should be discharged on May 5th. We were scared to death too, but it will be ok!

Comment

BEST thing we ever did.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
              341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
              Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

I feel like someone who only works part time doesn't have the right to own such expensive animals. I'd owned horses all my life, and they are a real luxury, not a small luxury.
                Read the Blog: My Personal Experience With Bankruptcy

Comment

Life is full of choices..........until something happens, but even then choices can be made.

You may have some facts to face and only your atty in your state will know the full answers.

You can carry on like you have been; or file bankruptcy.

Something must be happening for you to even have to face the possiblitiy of BK. Sad to say once BK is the only option, things were probably headed that way for a while.

I'll say a prayer that your horse can be exempt or that at the very least the Trustee will let you buy them back.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Not Filed Yet

will 9/30/09. Have a 6 yr. old Shih Tzu who is on 2 prescriptions a day and prescription dog food. She is our Furkid and yes, she has cost us a lot of money since 10/08, but she keeps me active as I am disabled.

I also will say a prayer you will somehow survive your bankruptcy keeping your horses as hubby nor I have 'walked in your shoes' and don't know what goes on 'behind your closed doors'.

Luci

Comment

Do you know how much a horse is worth in todays market? You could possibly have to pay someone to take it off your hands. Unless it is just a super special pedigreed horse, it's worthless.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                        Do you know how much a horse is worth in todays market? You could possibly have to pay someone to take it off your hands. Unless it is just a super special pedigreed horse, it's worthless.
                        Yes, horses are worthless these days. It's a sad time when you can't even give away a good horse. Only very specialized in a certain discipline are selling and even now they are at a lower cost than they were a year or two ago.

Comment

I have a female alpaca worth more than your horses together and they didn't even bother with her. So maybe you will be ok.

Comment

Filing CH 13 was the BEST thing I've ever done to get control of my finances. And it's the only way I was ever going to be able to get my husband to understand the nature of budgeting and living within our means, by being forced to live without credit. I didn't have any assets I was worrying about protecting though, every situation is different, I know. Best of luck, whatever you decide.
                            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

CATSINTROUBLE - you want to inflame??? You think I haven't applied for dozens and dozens and dozens of jobs...to the point of having my identitiy compromised??? (another story) I'd work three jobs if somebody would give me a chance, but I'm darn thankful fo the part-time job I've got!!! My "expensive" animals are just "mutts", and we were doing quite fine with them, thank you very much, until this economy destroyed 80% of my husband's business. Get REAL.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X