I cancelled my landline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cancelled my landline

Rather than get all the calls from the CC companies, I cancelled my landline,one less expense. use my cellphone, which is a new number I got )I figured they can write to me if they want to contact me. Is that the wrong thing to do?

I will use skype and get a local number if i need it. All voice mails can then go into a mail box.

They will prob start calling your friends and family and neighbors more now.

Comment

You could have just changed your home number...... ;)
      Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
      ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

Well, I am foreclosing on the house and may move to another country by august.

I also don't have any family ,none. An ex they might contact, but i will tell him not to say anything.I was wondering if and how they can contact my friends??? I still have 2.5 months left at this address /where the landline was. It is now just the CC companies, they haven;t gotten to the Collection agencies yet.

I don;t need the further expense of a landline and also just have the cellphone which is a new number btw.

SHOULD I HAVE LEFT A FORWARDING NUMBER, JUST IN CASE? I can get a skype number that is an online number with the area code of any city.Messages can go into a voice mail set up.

Comment

They will use skip tracing and other means to find your friends, neighbors and family and bother them if they can not reach you.

Comment

i cancelled mine too, they call me at work.

Comment

I am thinking about canceling the landline after our discharge. No one and I mean no one calls us on the house phone except collectors which will stop after the bk, everyone else calls our cells and we have the cicle thing that Verizon recently started so no worry about going over on minutes. We need the expense right now with the landline but it makes me so mad to pay $10 a month in taxes alone on the bill! Trying to get up the nerve to do it.
              Filed: 8-19-09
              341: 9-21-09
              Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

We canceled ours, too. We pay 9.95 a month extra to make our home a wireless "hotspot" with T-mobile's HotSpot at Home. All calls while we are at
                home are free - incoming or outgoing and if we start a call while we are at home and then leave, it is still free as long as you are on the call. We can also use anyone else's wireless for free. We like it a lot. No one ever called our home phone and always called our cells so that's what we did. It's kind of nice never hearing the phone ring in the house!
                Lying awake at night...
                Waiting to file...
                Roughly $34,000 in credit card debt

Comment

I LOVE not having a landline. I started associating the ringing of a telephone with bill collectors (aka.....STRESS).

Comment

We cancelled our landline many years ago, this being before we had collectors calling us. We had thought about it for over a year before we finally did it. We just hated to spend all that money every month and the only ones who ever called were telemarketers, and it seemed we were paying a lot for that landline. We had to have cell phones anyways, and we eventually got tired of paying for the landline. After we cancelled it, we never once missed it. That was probably the easiest adjustment to our budget we ever did.

Comment

-They will use skip tracing and other means to find your friends, neighbors and family and bother them if they can not reach you.-

What is skip tracing? How do they find your friends and family, if you have never listed them on anything.

I can see how they can reach neighbors, would you care to explain more?

My husband & I are just letting the phone ring now. We plan on filing Chapter 7 within months.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KYgirl View Post
                        -They will use skip tracing and other means to find your friends, neighbors and family and bother them if they can not reach you.-

What is skip tracing? How do they find your friends and family, if you have never listed them on anything.

I can see how they can reach neighbors, would you care to explain more?

My husband & I are just letting the phone ring now. We plan on filing Chapter 7 within months.

Thanks
                        Take your name, google it with either quotes around it or parenthesis around it, i.e., "John Doe" or (John Doe), and see what you find - that is what they find also. Information on you can also be purchased online. There are many ways they can find you, including through your credit reports (place of employment) and your SS#. In this day and age, you can find almost anyone and with who they are related to or assicated with. The worst is getting listed on a family tree site listing all your relatives names, mother's maiden names and related family names. ID theives love that. If your name has ever been published in any newspaper, article, brochure or publication, you can bet it will pop up during an online name search. In the world of the internet, you can run but you can't hide; anyone can find you if they want.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

It's almost like you read my worries. I have two web site.....one is a genealogy type web site. OH NO!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X