Car insurance and BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance and BK

I was Googling away this morning and came across an article that said that filing for BK can have a negative effect on one's car insurance. Basically the article said that insurance companies look at a BK much like they do an accident or a DUI in that, if there's one on your record, they can either raise your rates or cancel your policy altogether. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm currently with Progressive and plan on keeping my car, and due to a driving screw-up of mine, it would be difficult for me to get insurance somewhere else and Progressive has already raised my rats. (Currently paying $111 per month which hurts.) I really hope I don't have to worry about the effect my future BK will have on my insurance in addition to everything else.

BTW, the article is here: http://www.articleclick.com/Article/...urance/1181433

I do not know how Progressive works. I have State Farm and they did not increase my insurance rate at all. I was discharged in Jan 2009 from my Ch 7. I did change a vehicle and my actual monthly payment dropped because the replacement vehicle was older and less expensive.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
      I do not know how Progressive works. I have State Farm and they did not increase my insurance rate at all. I was discharged in Jan 2009 from my Ch 7. I did change a vehicle and my actual monthly payment dropped because the replacement vehicle was older and less expensive.
      I'm with State Farm also, and my rates didn't increase because of my BK, but they did increase just slightly for adding a licensed teen driver.
      Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
      Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

To the OP - this subject has been discussed extensively in this forum - have you done a search of your subject? Briefly, if your state allows insurance profiling, your rates on your car and homeowner's insurance policies can rise moreso than usual. If your state does not allow insurance profiling, the insurance company cannot raise your rates due to your filing BK or having bad credit. Contact your State DOI (Department of Insurance) to see whether or not your state allows the practice. If it does not and your rates rise and you can prove it is from your BK and nothing else, contact your Insurance Commissioner.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X