Is this good when choosing a law firm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this good when choosing a law firm?

They claim that one of their attorneys is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and currently serves as state chair for the State of
    Is that a good thing?

NACBA is pretty good. Just being a member, just means paying dues (for the most part). I'm not even sure if Florida has a specialty designation for attorneys. In any event, being the Chair for your State probably means something.

I've read many articles from NACBA and they represent the consumer, so they are on our side.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I believe the bottom line when choosing an attorney is to simply go with your gut instinct/feeling after having an intitial consultation. Unless you are a practicing lawyer yourself, you simply are not going to know what they know...despite all the great information on this forum and any research you conduct personally. Ask yourself, are you comfortable and confident with this person? The lawyer should make you feel confident, positive and optimistic for success: simple as that. If they don't, keep searching...

March 09: Retained Attorney
      May 1, 09: Filed Chapter 11 (as an individual)
      June 2, 09: Judge converted the Chapter 11 to a Chapter 7
      July 8: scheduled 341 meeting
      Last edited by tempron; 06-09-2009, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I agree with tempron, I can't stress enough on how important it is to choose an attorney you are confident in. I went to 6 consults, yes it was time consuming repeating my info over and over, but I got to the point where I knew within the first 5 minutes if I like the attorney or if they knew what they were doing. Before the consult, I would check the State Bar, find out how long the attorney has been licensed and if any complaints have been filed, you'd be surprised at how many "new" attorneys there are out there in well established BK firms (actually BK Mills) and when you ask them how long they have been doing this, they dance around the issue! You should have a list of questions to ask the attorney too!

Good Luck!
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I'll say the opposite and mention that while your gut can be a secondary measure, the lawyer's aptitude, ability, and standing should weigh much more. Bankruptcy is very technical in nature. I'd rather have the local president of the NACBA, who charges alot and seems like a prude, over the overconfident but "nice" lawyer.

It's just me. I'm sure others want to have a good gut feel about their lawyer, but I think it goes beyond just feeling good about how they make you feel. There are many lawyers, and used car salesman, who will always make you feel good about your purchase.

Having wrote that, sure, you should feel comfortable with the attorney, but nothing substitutes for asking the Attorney... How long has he been practicing Bankruptcy Law? How many cases he has handled? How many cases have been dismissed or converted by the Trustee? Does you only practice Chapter <insert chapter here>? Are there other attorneys in the practice? Will you be working with the legal assistant/paralegal mostly?

I think all those things matter more than feeling good about him. Actually, answering those questions in a positive way, would make you feel better.

Again, I think you need both. It can't just be that they have a great reputation, tenure, respect in the Bankruptcy community of practice, and a true advocate for the debtor. It can also be that they make you feel comfortable.
          Last edited by justbroke; 06-09-2009, 07:37 AM.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I don't know.
            My question was actually as simple as I worded it.
            I'm wondering if it's a good thing, or better than Bob's bankruptcy service.

I'm by far not using that one sentence to select an attorney trust me.

Thanks for the advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
              I don't know.
              My question was actually as simple as I worded it.
              I'm wondering if it's a good thing, or better than Bob's bankruptcy service.
              I wrote that president of NACBA is a good thing. Means that other attorneys respect them in that practice area.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X