top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to expect during the Pre Counseling through the Debt Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect during the Pre Counseling through the Debt Service?

I am having my pre counseling session today over the phone to get my certificate. What can I expect? Will they try to talk us out of bankruptcy?

Thanks

(oh, Im filing ch 13)
    $124,000 unsecured debt
    $700 a month for 36 months.
    Case completed 6/15/12, waiting on papers!

Why don't you just do it online?

Much easier, you don't have to talk to anybody.

I don't know what they ask you in the phone version, but it is basically just budgeting issues , how to use credit responsibly, blah, blah.

Nothing scary.

They probably read from a script in the phone version.

Just a post 2005 hoop to jump through.

Comment

I was scared too but it's no big deal. Don't be overwhelmed. You can't fail it!
      I did mine online for 30.00 and then had to speak with a counsellor for a few minutes before they sent me the certificate. It really was not a big deal.

Comment

Mine was actually very helpful.

We did a budget together over the phone, sans the credit card debt because it was being assumed I was filing Ch.7

We discussed how to keep track of expenses and she was very sympathetic to how I ended up in a BK in the first place.

good luck.
        Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
        Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
        341 Meeting 01/05/2009
        Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

We did an online course with a concluding phone call. The call was just verifying what we had input online and reading the analysis that was also provided online. Pretty silly. I asked my husband which politician's crony had a debt counseling business, wanted to increase business, and gave a little money to make it a requirement for bk.

Apparently the post course is even more ridiculous. You watch some videos and then write down words that are flashed on the screen. You then input the words and that's it.
          27 May 09: File Ch7
          6 Jul 09: 341 Meeting, declared asset case, 341 continued
          6 Aug 09: Continued 341 meeting, came to settlement with TT
          6 Sept 09: Last Date for Creditor Objections

Comment

Well, that was fast and easy. The website said it was going to take 90 minutes, so I was dreading it all day. It ended up being only 8 minutes long! She just verified all the numbers we inputted on the computer and said that the only plan they could come up with would cost us almost 3000 a month, so BK would be the best option. That was it. On one hand Im glad it went so fast, on the other, Im pissed that I had to pay $40 for something so dumb. Phew...

One step down...
            $124,000 unsecured debt
            $700 a month for 36 months.
            Case completed 6/15/12, waiting on papers!

Comment

Can you guys recommend an online class. The last lawyer I talked to said I had to take a $100 phone course. I would much MUCH rather take a $30 online class. Does the class work for all states?
              Filed Ch 7 11/28/09 | 341 1/7/10 | Last Date for Objections 3/8/10 | Discharged 3/10/10

Comment

Originally posted by DustinLH00 View Post
                Can you guys recommend an online class. The last lawyer I talked to said I had to take a $100 phone course. I would much MUCH rather take a $30 online class. Does the class work for all states?
                You MUST take a course that's been approved by your state.

If you intend to file with a lawyer, don't do the pre-filing course now. Some lawyers include the course fee in their fees or provide the course themselves as an approved provider. No sense wasting the money now if you don't have to.

If your lawyer doesn't provide this service and doesn't roll the course fees into his/her fees, here's the link to the pre-filing credit counseling courses that have been approved by each state - http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/cc_approved.htm

Here's the link to the post-filing personal financial management (debt education) courses that that have been approved by each state - http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/de_approved.htm
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank you for the info!

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                  You MUST take a course that's been approved by your state.

If you intend to file with a lawyer, don't do the pre-filing course now. Some lawyers include the course fee in their fees or provide the course themselves as an approved provider. No sense wasting the money now if you don't have to.

If your lawyer doesn't provide this service and doesn't roll the course fees into his/her fees, here's the link to the pre-filing credit counseling courses that have been approved by each state - http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/cc_approved.htm

Here's the link to the post-filing personal financial management (debt education) courses that that have been approved by each state - http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/de_approved.htm
                  Filed Ch 7 11/28/09 | 341 1/7/10 | Last Date for Objections 3/8/10 | Discharged 3/10/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X