top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Trustees questions small expenses on bank statements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Trustees questions small expenses on bank statements?

What I want to know is do trustees question small expenses on bank statements. For example I go golfing every week or so, and buy some balls and such at the local golf store. I also buy a computer game every month or so, and my wife buys small stuff for herself. Nothing of real value but they do add up.

Using legalconsumer.com we are -660 using the default information for my region and adding in my lease payment, court payment, insurance etc so no real questionable items in there.

All purchases are on our debit card, we haven't used a credit card since 12/08.

I just want it to go as smooth as possible.

Trustee's usually look at bank statements to find large amounts of money for which there is no explanation. What defines "large" is not known as it varies. I would say withdrawals of $600 or more, may peek their curiosity.

In the long run, they are just making sure you didn't drain your accounts just before filing.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

No, the trustee will not question those expenditures. You are allowed some entertainment expenses. You will be asked for a round figure for 'entertainment' per month when you go for your pre-filing counseling. We gave a round figure of about $50.00 per month, but the understanding was there that it might be more one month and less the next. We're talking an average figure. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

be careful
        I have read that it depends on the trustee. Some are real ball busters. They may see a $35 charge each week at the golf course along with $20 at the golf store and think you are living a little extravagantly. Yes you are allowed entertainment expenses but they can look at things like high cable bills and things the general consumer may not understand.

The general rule is anything over $500-600 will raise a red flag but it depends on the trustee. Some trustees are not as reasonable and will frown on anything that says golf, sports tickets, or anything they consider a luxury.

I personally have given up golf this year because of a tight budget.

I have played 3 times (twice paid for by a family member and once for an outing from a organization I am in). Last year I played around 20 times at an average cost of over $35-40 each time. I probably spent 1-2k on golf last year between playing, equipment, and going to the range.

To a trustee my $1-2k would be money that can go to the creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by Klesko View Post
          What I want to know is do trustees question small expenses on bank statements. For example I go golfing every week or so, and buy some balls and such at the local golf store. I also buy a computer game every month or so, and my wife buys small stuff for herself. Nothing of real value but they do add up.
          Using legalconsumer.com we are -660 using the default information for my region and adding in my lease payment, court payment, insurance etc so no real questionable items in there.

All purchases are on our debit card, we haven't used a credit card since 12/08.

I just want it to go as smooth as possible.
          Reason enough to look at them and decide if they're worth it moving forward.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X