And so it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it begins...

My dishwasher sh*t the bed today. This wasn't even included in my mental list of deferred home maintenance spending, I thought it would be okay a while! Well, at least I know where my next 2 visa payments will be going.

*le sigh*

If your strapped for cash, I might suggest waiting til after bankruptcy to replace it. If you buy it with a visa card now and bankrupt next month they could well object to discharge.

Though a bit more time consuming you could hand wash for now. Once the bankruptcy passes then save up for the dishwasher. Might also check out second hand mags see if you can get one cheaper.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I think she meant she was going to buy a new one instead of paying her credit card bill.

A dishwasher...I would probably just was dishes by hand for awhile. The bigger things are starting to freak me out though.
      Today, I thought my ac unit (the unit outside) was making a weird noise. If something like that breaks, we just won't have any ac/heat.

Do you plan on staying in your house?

I want to get out of ours and rent. While we can afford the mortgage, if anything breaks it would be hard. Our house is only 11 yrs old, but I worry too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
        I think she meant she was going to buy a new one instead of paying her credit card bill.

A dishwasher...I would probably just was dishes by hand for awhile. The bigger things are starting to freak me out though.
        Today, I thought my ac unit (the unit outside) was making a weird noise. If something like that breaks, we just won't have any ac/heat.

I want to get out of ours and rent. While we can afford the mortgage, if anything breaks it would be hard. Our house is only 11 yrs old, but I worry too much.
        Get a service tech in for a tune up and look over it's much cheaper then a replacement down the road.

My folks had a unit over 20 some odd years old that still worked like a charm when they sold the place years ago.

A little preventive can go a long way,and for the record they serviced the unit "every other year".
        Filed July 7,2009
        341 August 24,2009 (completed)
        Discharged 10-28-09(Thank You Lord.)
        Case closed 10-29-2009

Comment

My dishwasher never breaks. She does get colds now and again. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
            My dishwasher never breaks. She does get colds now and again. 'Hub
            Odd, my wife says about the same thing about me.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Funny to see this post now, I just this week started thinking about all the things that could break down now. The irony of having to spend down our tax refund to file instead of being able to save it is killing me.

We've been watching the rental market and prices are going down in our area, but our landlord is going to increase our rent by $100 a month if we don't sign a new one year lease - really it should be going down about $100-150/mo instead, so now we have to move. Figuring out how to pay for the new deposit and moving expenses on such short notice while in the midst of filing is proving interesting!
              BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post

Yes, I was talking about diverting payments to appliances...and, it may not be as dire as first thought--one cycle works, so it's definitely got a leg or two to go on, but I was just amazed at the timing: a mere 10 days ago, I was still in total denial regarding my finances--life was "good"!! Now that I've faced up to the precariousness of my house of cards, it's starting to shimmy and shake!

Yes, I'm keeping the house--our little town really never "bubbled", so while real estate is definitely moving slow, values are staying fairly constant.

I feel for you (and with you--my a/c is 15 yrs old, furnace is 37, I think) climate control is just way too basic and way too expensive! See if you know anyone that is HVAC certified--my a/c went out 2-3 yrs ago and, it turned out, one of our maintenance guys at work also does side jobs for his dad's business. His dad came out and fixed it for the price that a mere mortal would have paid just for the part! So, I'm with the poster that said have a tune-up, but see if you can find some connection to a reliable small businessperson to have it done.

Btw, my house is 47, but with recent standards in construction (or any manufacturing, for that matter!), probably as sound as a place 1/2 that age.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie007 View Post
                  Funny to see this post now, I just this week started thinking about all the things that could break down now. The irony of having to spend down our tax refund to file instead of being able to save it is killing me.

We've been watching the rental market and prices are going down in our area, but our landlord is going to increase our rent by $100 a month if we don't sign a new one year lease - really it should be going down about $100-150/mo instead, so now we have to move. Figuring out how to pay for the new deposit and moving expenses on such short notice while in the midst of filing is proving interesting!
                  Well that's awkward--why the new 1-yr lease? Is that common? Are rentals hard to come by in your area? Just asking as I hope it's not due to the landlord having some kind of insight into your financial situation--surely you would have some legal defense against them raising rent due to whatever they know about your finances??

Then again, maybe not--they can probably pull your credit periodically just like any creditor.

*le sigh*

I make my living in computers, but all of this instant information sure can make life hard for the average Joe/JoAnn!!

Comment

Try craigslist to replace your dishwasher. I just got a kenmore washing machine, almost new, the same model that I had ((so the old one is now for parts) for 80.00. I am so happy with it and relieved that I didn't have to come up with the cash for a new one.
                    I saw many dishwashers in our area.

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
                      Try craigslist to replace your dishwasher. I just got a kenmore washing machine, almost new, the same model that I had ((so the old one is now for parts) for 80.00. I am so happy with it and relieved that I didn't have to come up with the cash for a new one.
                      I saw many dishwashers in our area.
                      I have three dishwashers at home between the ages of 12 and 16.
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie007 View Post
                        We've been watching the rental market and prices are going down in our area, but our landlord is going to increase our rent by $100 a month if we don't sign a new one year lease - really it should be going down about $100-150/mo instead
                        The rental prices in our area are tanking too. And... that's "if" you can find a tenant. The phone calls from prospective tenants have stopped, and the tenant pool that is looking is much like the cesspool. You should be able to find a bargain on a good rental now.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

All I do when my dishwasher breaks down is put lotion on it.

Comment

For me its not appliances... as we live in an apartment complex now and if anything breaks they will fix it!

But mine is my damn cat... I'm already adding a 1200 dollar vet bill to my petition and then just yesterday we had to take him in for an ear infection which cost me 133 dollars. I had set aside 225 to pay for our petition being amended but now that will have to wait till the end of the month... lol.
                            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
                              Well that's awkward--why the new 1-yr lease? Is that common? Are rentals hard to come by in your area? Just asking as I hope it's not due to the landlord having some kind of insight into your financial situation--surely you would have some legal defense against them raising rent due to whatever they know about your finances??

Then again, maybe not--they can probably pull your credit periodically just like any creditor.

*le sigh*

I make my living in computers, but all of this instant information sure can make life hard for the average Joe/JoAnn!!
                              They knew our credit was in the toilet when we rented this place last Fall. I talked to my Dad who is in property management and he said basically they are gambling that we won't be able to afford to move, or won't want to go to the trouble and expense. If they can get us to sign a new lease, they've locked in a higher than market rent. It is possible that they check and know we filed BK on 6/2 and know that the current lease is no longer valid since we filed. I believe it reads that we go to a month to month on written agreement at the expiration of the original year - now they're saying they won't agree unless we pay more!

A search on Craigslist shows me well over 600 rentals in our area that will work for us . We've already found a new home that will be cheaper than the new rate and is in a much better location (think water view) - we're hoping to sign the new lease this weekend! I already spoke with our attorney about how to handle this, so I think it's going to be fine and not end up costing us extra out of pocket!
                              BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X