top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is long enough to open a new checking account after filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is long enough to open a new checking account after filing?

I already closed two idle checking accounts with my existing bank, USAA and am exempting $2K of my active checking account with USAA. I am including their credit card in my filing. Long story short, and I have posted this elsewhere on this forum, USAA will restrict my online access if I file but I can maintain my existing financial products with them provided they are in good standing. My checking account with them will become useless without the ability to view it online.

Since I recently closed two idle checking accounts with them and listed these acocunts in my petition, I dont want to make waves by also closing my active account and opening a new account with another bank. I intend to file next week so there really is no time for this. My bank auto deducts my auto and life insurance payments from there so I dont want there to be insufficent funds until I can transition to another bank. One concern is that USAA will freeze the account but they should at least allow the auto deductions for their financial products.

I asked my attorney how much money is safe to leave in the checking at filing, and he advised to spend as much as I can. Shoot, that did not answer my question. I assume since I reported $2k and since it is exempt that anything over that amount may be claimed by the trustee. So, my plan is to spend it under $2k before filing.

I dont want to show any more activity in that account once I file except for the basic auto-pays until I transition everything over to a new bank.

So, how many days should lapse after filing until I can open a checking account with another bank?

I feel as if I have to act quick for my direct deposits to transition quickly and I am also concerned that my credit score may drop so low that I may not qualify to open a checking account with another bank...I am looking at Chase.

Doesn't matter when you open your new checking account. The real key will be are you in ChexSystems, and can you actually open an account. If the old accounts were included in the BK filing, you should have no issue. If you do have an issue, you would write ChexSystems and tell them about the BK filing, and they should remove any negatives in their system.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Doesn't matter when you open your new checking account. The real key will be are you in ChexSystems, and can you actually open an account. If the old accounts were included in the BK filing, you should have no issue. If you do have an issue, you would write ChexSystems and tell them about the BK filing, and they should remove any negatives in their system.
      I've never had a problem with insufficient funds or bounced checks so what sort of negative things does ChexSystems flag? How can I find out if I am in good standing with them?

Comment

Originally posted by DSIG View Post
        I've never had a problem with insufficient funds or bounced checks so what sort of negative things does ChexSystems flag? How can I find out if I am in good standing with them?
        Go to their website and ask for a report. They'll mail it to you. That will help ensure that it's all clean.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X