No announcement yet.

The laws and getting a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of industries that will hire you with your bankruptcy.

I hope you're right. Of course, it would help to be qualified for SOMETHING.
    The fifties are long gone, don't stay home to raise your kids.

Comment

I would say that if I can work at a bank, and handle clients accounts, wire funds, and count out their christmas cash while I am going into BK and not steal.. then certainly there is no reason to think I would. But then since when does common sense prevail? Today we got the rest of the story... My hubby has not been well, and of course he medical bills are not fun, nor has his continuous layoff been. Anyhow, he has emphysema... geesh... He did smoke started back in the mid fifties of course as was hooked. He did stop after several years, apparently not soon enough. Right now it is the spray, and corazin (I think) for his rapid pulse. Once he can breath, maybe that will slow?? But without finding a job, I doubt much will change in his stressed little world. Nothing like living in a 1200 sq foot house, driving two cheap cars, losing your job, losing your savings trying to pay your bills on time, and then finding out how much you owe to the medcial bills that insurance will not pay for.. and then file a BK.. do we file now, or do we file in 2 years after his disease gets much worse? Who knows what to do.. I just do I am as mad as heck at wall street and deregulations and insurance companies.. and big business that can make a huge mess and then run credit reports on us to find out if we are "good" employees when they are horrible at their own finanaces.

Comment

You've definitely got it rough. I'm no expert by any means, but my guess would be that if you anticipate more medical bills, then wait to file. This is one reason we keep procrastinating, as we are getting old and our insurance is crappy. My friends filed about three years ago and now he is having problems and I think they may suspect luekemia. They have good insurance...but insurance never covers everything. So...they wouldn't be able to bankrupt again for some time if there did happen to be massive medical bills...

Comment

Take it for what it's worth...

Sorry to hear your story, momisery... honestly, if I were in your situation, I wouldn't know what to do either, since a serious health problem extends far beyond the date of bankruptcy, so I can only wish you the best of luck and hope that time and good luck are on your side.

I also wanted to get back to the "getting a job" topic... just for the record, yesterday I interviewed for a new job, and I am almost certain to be hired. If it happens, this will be the SECOND job I've obtained this year which did not run a credit check of any kind. Criminal history and drug screen, certainly, but neither the staffing agency nor the employer cared about my credit.

It really does seem as though if you are looking for a job, they actually EXPECT your financial situation to be poor due to the depth of this recession. So to all you job hunters out there who are worried about your credit, I wouldn't make a stressful situation even worse by fretting over it. As far as I can tell, making an employment decision based on your credit is limited to the very specific risk management for a minority of jobs, and even then, a BK should not automatically disqualify you.
          Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Well, ya think that everybody would know there's a recession, but honestly, I think some people are still in denial. There have been others, but recently I heard a radio ad that a big insurance company (can I name it here?) was hiring. Went to the website trying to apply for a customer service position and sure enough, "must be willing to submit to a credit check." Criminal background, drug screen, I understand. Can we send these employers nastygrams???

Comment

Originally posted by Inthestorm View Post
              Well, ya think that everybody would know there's a recession, but honestly, I think some people are still in denial. There have been others, but recently I heard a radio ad that a big insurance company (can I name it here?) was hiring. Went to the website trying to apply for a customer service position and sure enough, "must be willing to submit to a credit check." Criminal background, drug screen, I understand. Can we send these employers nastygrams???
              Submitting a credit check may be no more than allowing the potential employer to check past employment history and information relevant to the job and compare to your resume. Or it might very well be scrutiny. If I were interested enough in a position, I would try for it, regardless of the credit check. If poor credit is that big of a concern for them, they'll probably just want some explanation of what went wrong (such as being without a job during a monstrous recession).
              Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Most companies do credit checks for ID purposes to comply with the Patriot Act, but are not interested in your actual credit history unless you work directly with money or can be bribed.

All large companies do a background check these days. I have an earlier post that goes into what such a check looks for. Just do a search on my posts and you will see a detailed explanation of background checks that I wrote in another thread a couple of weeks ago.

Don't let fear of a credit check keep you from applying for the job. If you are the right fit for the job, your credit will not be a barrier in my opinion.

Oh, and congrats Pizza on the job opportunity!
                Last edited by backtoschool; 08-28-2009, 12:42 PM. Reason: added a congrats to pizza
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Thank you, backtoschool.

Comment

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...cost-you-a-job.

Comment

There are always companies that won't hire you for bad credit, but that is not the rule. I worked on wall street with bad credit, and they did a very intense background check on me.

Don't worry about the jobs that you won't get, as there are plenty of companies that will not care about your credit.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                        There are always companies that won't hire you for bad credit, but that is not the rule. I worked on wall street with bad credit, and they did a very intense background check on me.

Don't worry about the jobs that you won't get, as there are plenty of companies that will not care about your credit.
                        Right you are. Of all the assets one can bring to a company, a good credit rating is at the bottom of the list. I mean, if you're looking for a job, it often means that you have lost one. Bills don't pay themselves.

Comment

Hubby lost his job, over and over again in the car business. When we moved here we had no idea that your experience meant nothing, but who you went to high school with did.. lol He settle for a car sales job knowing that once they show him working with people and looked at his background they would move him up! Well, not so true in podunk MO. They want to hire their buddies here. So, he kept on doing sales, but of course when the market crashed he could not sell. They kept laying him and everyone else off around him over and over from dealership to dealership. Running ads that their sales people have the potential to make 75,000.00 and up.. ha ha.. yeah right. They run off so many that they run this ad every month. Anyhow, he changed over to selling insurance, sort of like Alfac... but not that company. They ran him all over the place on his dime of course, no salary all commission. and they pay you a little bit up front and the rest over time.. So you are paying for motel rooms out of town and meals, plus your gas and car. And you MUST have a cell phone that will text, has internet hook up for emails and mapquest.. and a GPS is ideal. Plus a laptop so you can download THEIR programs. So, we are paying for all kinds of crap so this company can make money, or waste yours. Anyhow, he did lousy, then a little better, then lousy again and it ends up that they start letting people go even though they are not paying them because they are not bringing in the numbers. Most quit, but hubby kept hanging in there. But when he got sick an missed a couple days I think they were afraid he would be on their insurance and they dumped him. So, he is working for another commission on now. Wasting more money I am afraid, but he has to have something to hang on to or give up I think. Honesty I am so disapointed in my country that is outsourcing jobs and destoying its own citizens that are bailing business out that I could just cry. But mostly, I feel so bad for hubby. Sick, no future with a bk looming, and now no job. geesh.

Comment

Has anyone experienced getting a government job with a BK on their record? I'm considering applying to everything I qualify for, obviously the higher security clearances won't be for me, but hoping I can get my foot in the door. I'm done working in my current career (small business manager)!! Especially in this economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinjbc View Post
                              Has anyone experienced getting a government job with a BK on their record? I'm considering applying to everything I qualify for, obviously the higher security clearances won't be for me, but hoping I can get my foot in the door. I'm done working in my current career (small business manager)!! Especially in this economy.
                              Gov't job shouldn't be a problem with a BK as long as you don't need a security clearance and you are not working with money or in a position where you could be bribed (I guess that means taking bids for high level, high dollar gov't contracts)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X