The laws and getting a job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
    I don't think that's the assumption that they make. The assumption is: "They weren't smart enough or industrious enough or hard-working enough to manage their own finances properly, so why would I want to hire them to handle my finances. Either way, the logic is flawed, but I don't think it's founded on perceived dishonesty so much as it is perceived incompetency.

I'm sure most airline pilots have been in an automobile accident at some time or the other. Yet, if we followed the same train of logic, the chief airline pilot would say something like: "This guy can't even drive his own car well enough to avoid a collision. Why should I hire him to pilot my large jet with a hundred or more people on board"?
    True enough! I suppose different people have different reason for excluding people who filed BK.
    I assumed it was the fraud aspect as I know someone who was turned down for a job as a bank teller because of BK.
    That is the only reason I can think of to be turned down for a position like that. You aren't really handeling anyones finances, just processing transactions as instructed.
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

This one really concerns me. I work in banking, and I handle money in rare ocassions. I am still worried they will find out and I will be tossed out. Or, if we have to move and I request a transfer to another state they will not have a job, or they might investigate me again then.. If I lose my job, I am the only one with income other than 4 months of unemployment that hubby has left. He can not find a paying job, too old is my guess..

Comment

I really feel this needs to change. I'm not a particularly politically active person, but there are some things that just get my goat and this is one of them. There are way too many ways that a good person can go down!

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
          This one really concerns me. I work in banking, and I handle money in rare ocassions. I am still worried they will find out and I will be tossed out. Or, if we have to move and I request a transfer to another state they will not have a job, or they might investigate me again then.. If I lose my job, I am the only one with income other than 4 months of unemployment that hubby has left. He can not find a paying job, too old is my guess..
          Banking is definitely one of the job categories that are affected by bankruptcy. . But there are always exceptions of course. I worked on some sensitive trading systems as a programmer with bad credit.

Usually they don't recheck credit once you are already employed. Also they know you so they know the whole picture, you are not just a piece of paper with some numbers on it.

I also think as bankruptcy becomes more common, the way bankruptcies are treated by employers, landlords, etc will change, but maybe I am just wishful thinking....
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I was emailing my state congressman this morning about this exact thing. She said she is already working on getting the law changed! From what I understand, Washington State is one state that has specifically outlawed credit checks for most jobs. There is also a bill in the US House right now that could do the same thing for the entire country.

Comment

I would like to see that law passed!! The interesting part is a few years back I worked doing audits, and I worked very closely with loss preventition. We busted a drug ring that was selling inventory and putting it up their noses so to speak. Anyhow, they knew we had them and left the company. We filed charges, but they were out on stress leave, and then they we back to working for another jewelry company. Probably doing the very same thing, stealing. They can work with that pending, and the company pretty much waived the whole thing because they quit. But people who either mis-managed or have bad luck can't get a job?? Geesh. That does need to change. And I do not think this is over with yet. I think a larger percentage will be homeless and broke before big business wakes up and realizes that Americans are buying the goods not chinese and maybe they should bring some jobs back home before it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                'Cause they wear short skirts and have nice legs and giggle a lot, truth be told.
                actually it more to do with salary- you can hire someone straight out of college at a significantly lower wage.. Plus I don't know too many young guys in my office that were short skirts...

Comment

Well I find it unfair that the insurance companys use credit scores to rate car insurance and use your driving record. Isn't that double dipping???

Anyone know an insurance company not using the credit and driving record to rate folks? Please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

I am a 50 year old nothing. I was born with artistic talent but can barely add 2 + 2. I didn't feel art was a reliable way to make a living, so I got an AS degree in secretarial science, found out I hated it. Got married, had a baby. Stayed home, didn't have another one for 8 more years, stayed home. I guess this was the biggest mistake I ever made. Technology has left my training behind. My Dh was a successful residential subcontractor...but who knew we were in a housing "bubble?" It burst for him a year and a half before other people even knew there was a recession. Two years ago, I managed to find a low-paying part-time job, enjoy it, but the pay is truly pitiful. I have searched and searched for something else, and I keep seeing this, "must submit to a credit check..." It makes me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by lifelesson View Post
                      Well I find it unfair that the insurance companys use credit scores to rate car insurance and use your driving record. Isn't that double dipping???

Anyone know an insurance company not using the credit and driving record to rate folks? Please let me know. Thanks.
                      If your insurance company does business in a state that does not allow insurance credit profiling, your rates will not rise due to BK/bad credit. However, if your state does allow the practice, your rates can and will probably rise. All you have to do is contact your state Dept. of Insurance to find out if your state allows the practice or visit your state website, Dept. of Insurance section. Simple as that. If your rates do rise and your state does not allow the practice, contact your Insurance Commissioner.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Your fears are not unfounded as I once did contract work onsite at a major national, well known, prestigious bank for a few years back in the late 90's. Their company policy stated that a BK will prevent one from being hired. All prospective employees had to go through an extremely thorough investigation, which included credit, and prior to their obtaining your credit repoirts, you had to submit a filled out form listing all your debts, account numbers, etc. They were looking for honesty as they would compare that to your credit reports. Fingerprints were taken for processing. The results of all that would determine if you were hirable. This applied even to contract workers onsite and I went through the process. At that time we had a lot of debt but were making a high combined salary and had kids' college expenses. We (contractors) used to hire an intern each summer and one was turned down by this bank to be on site due to bad credit. It's all about fraud and the idea is that people who are in debt, bad credit, BK, etc. may possibly be more of a risk to the company to commit fraud and embezzle cause they may need extra cash. Those that would not ever think about doing that suffer because of those that were hired in the past with bad credit/BK backgrounds and did.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Kinda understandable...but in this bad economy, victims need every break they can get to get back on their feet. We keep delaying filing for many reasons and this is one of them. If either one of us should find another job, we'd be discriminated against. At least I know they can't fire me at my part-time very low-paying job!

Comment

I would say that working here in a position that I do handle big cash sometimes, and can move money and funnel it around would prove that if I was a thief I would not be filing a BK. Instead those bills would be paid! But that would be common sense. They worry if someone who has bad credit might steal from them, but they have their top employees stealing hours from them, and as we see on wall street they steal all kinds of things like BIG money from banks in their salaries that they did not perform for. The whole world is nuts anymore. Credit effects you car insurance, they raise you interest rates if you in trouble with losing a job or medical debt, or not hire you if your credit does not check out. Then they wonder why people are desperate and do horrible things? I would say they are driven to it. I guess I should consider a new career if we have to move. Hubby still can not find a job that pays. He was offered one yesterday full commission, he goes out of town and stays at motels with his "team" for 4 days a week and eats out, and pays for that himself. He already is paying for a cell phone with GPS and text messaging and internet hookup, had to have a laptop with wifi, and burned the wheels off of his car trying to sell insurance sort of like Aflac but not them. Do people not have a conscience at all? Here he is a guy who needs to work, wants to work, and they sit back in their leather chairs and promise him the moon, of course he wants to bit on it... it is a job.... but who can afford to work and pay for the pleasure of doing it?? Nuts! His unemployment will run out I mean we are at the end in a few short months. I want to move back to CA and live with family.. He wants to move to AZ and look for a job in a bigger town, we live in a town of 150,000.00 and this area has depressed wages anyhow. It always has, but of course we did not know that until we got here because no one will tell you the truth. We asked about healthcare and we were told it was really good. We did some research, but healthcare is one area that you can find little about in smaller areas. No one talks about it. Homes are cheaper but everything else is out of this world in costs. Cheaper tags on your car, well, not really you have personal property tax on them. Insurance is more here than in Atlanta... we have tornados.. and the house is cheaper. Food is really high and they raise cows here.. geesh... Anyhow... I guess if we move my job will change if I can find one. But if we don't move, I can not support the two of us on my wages. The wages are horrible here, oh I mentioned that.. ha ha...

Comment

I would say that working here in a position that I do handle big cash sometimes, and can move money and funnel it around would prove that if I was a thief I would not be filing a BK. Instead those bills would be paid! But that would be common sense. They worry if someone who has bad credit might steal from them, but they have their top employees stealing hours from them, and as we see on wall street they steal all kinds of things like BIG money from banks in their salaries that they did not perform for. The whole world is nuts anymore. Credit effects you car insurance, they raise you interest rates if you in trouble with losing a job or medical debt, or not hire you if your credit does not check out. Then they wonder why people are desperate and do horrible things? I would say they are driven to it. I guess I should consider a new career if we have to move. Hubby still can not find a job that pays. He was offered one yesterday full commission, he goes out of town and stays at motels with his "team" for 4 days a week and eats out, and pays for that himself. He already is paying for a cell phone with GPS and text messaging and internet hookup, had to have a laptop with wifi, and burned the wheels off of his car trying to sell insurance sort of like Aflac but not them. Do people not have a conscience at all? Here he is a guy who needs to work, wants to work, and they sit back in their leather chairs and promise him the moon, of course he wants to bit on it... it is a job.... but who can afford to work and pay for the pleasure of doing it?? Nuts! His unemployment will run out I mean we are at the end in a few short months. I want to move back to CA and live with family.. He wants to move to AZ and look for a job in a bigger town, we live in a town of 150,000.00 and this area has depressed wages anyhow. It always has, but of course we did not know that until we got here because no one will tell you the truth. We asked about healthcare and we were told it was really good. We did some research, but healthcare is one area that you can find little about in smaller areas. No one talks about it. Homes are cheaper but everything else is out of this world in costs. Cheaper tags on your car, well, not really you have personal property tax on them. Insurance is more here than in Atlanta... we have tornados.. and the house is cheaper. Food is really high and they raise cows here.. geesh... Anyhow... I guess if we move my job will change if I can find one. But if we don't move, I can not support the two of us on my wages. The wages are horrible here, oh I mentioned that.. ha ha...

Working with money is really the only type of job that is affected by bankruptcy. I know there are other conservative companies that do thorough back ground checks, but if you don't work with money they will not automatically disqualify you from the job. I have had jobs in technology for many years with bad credit. My family and friends have worked in customer service, education, health care and publishing with bad credit. There are a lot of industries that will hire you with your bankruptcy.
                              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I worried a lot about this too, since I haven't had steady work since December. Truth be known, this economy has changed the way everyone, employers included, view bad credit. Five or more years ago, people were filing BK or ruining their credit based on frivilous spending and failure to budget. Nowadays, bad credit and bad luck often go hand in hand. Filing BK of course will look better to employers than doing nothing about a bad credit situation because you made a tough financial decision to deal with the problem and made it through successfully.

A successful filing actually shows at least some level of responsibility IMO.
                                Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X