$150 for Credit Counseling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$150 for Credit Counseling?

...and they say I have pay this, no other choice. $75 each for myself and spouse.

I'm filing for BK, not wanting a loan!!!

Originally posted by Snuff View Post

I'm filing for BK, not wanting a loan!!!
    I agree, the fees are high. AND they don't give us loans! Lol!! I guess if we are needing the classes, that means we are not a good credit risk. I can see their point.

Oh well, all you can do is laugh at the irony of the entire thing!

It took me a couple weeks to get the cash together for the class too. Part of this BK thing is it teaches us to plan I suppose.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

There should be a list of acceptable pre-filing course administrators on your local bk court website. Shop around. I'm sure you can find it for 1/2 that price.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

The one I used is approved for Alaska (where it says you are from).

It is only $45 for both combined. So yes, shop around.

Click on your state... you will find a cheaper one right away if you work down the list.
        Filed CH13 - 06/2009
        Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Snuff View Post
          ...and they say I have pay this, no other choice. $75 each for myself and spouse.
          That's too much. Keep going down the list of approved course providers.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That's too much. Keep going down the list of approved course providers.
            The one I used is approved for Alaska (where it says you are from).

It is only $45 for both combined. So yes, shop around.

Click on your state... you will find a cheaper one right away if you work down the list.
            Hey, THANKS you guys/er, girls too!! Sure is comforting to know there is support when needed!!
            I was getting close to losing my cool...matter of fact I did hang up on them.

Comment

Is that price on the phone or online? The place I spoke to said it was easier and $15 cheaper each session if you do it online instead of on the phone.

Comment

Definitely shop around. Don't let one company make you believe that they are the only one out there. As long as they are registered to do business in your state, you can go with anyone you wish.

$150 is a bit steep IMO.
                sigpic
                Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

Yep there are many nationwide providers. I paid 50 for the pre-filing for a couple, and 14.95 post filing for a couple.
                  7-2-2009 Filed
                  8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                  10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Shop around...that's way too high
                    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I took my pre-filing course over the phone and it was $50.
                      Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
                      Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Yes mine was 50 for a married couple, i.e. 2 certificates. I think it was moneymanagement.org. It was online except for a verification call at the end and they emailed my certificates while I was on the phone and faxed them to my attorney.
                        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Ours was $35/couple pre-filing and $15/couple post.
                          8-4-09 Filed pro se Chap 7 (I still can NOT believe I took that first step!:blink:)
                          8-25-09 Approved to proceed in forma pauperis.:unsure:
                          9-8-09 :dry:Trustee's Report of No Distribution.
                          11-18-09 :yahoo: Discharged! :clapping:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X