Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know you have a good lawyer?

Hi,

How do you know if you have a good attorney? We picked on from a google search - and had our first meeting. The firm does bankruptcies only, was very busy when we got there (a good sign?). The man we met with seemed OK, but after reading about bad attorneys on this site - just wondered how do you know? I wouldn't be able to find out any "word of mouth" type of suggestions for an attorney.

Was there anything you asked before you paid them that helped determine if the attorney was good?

Thanks!

A thorough web search will help you if you google the firm and/or attorney's name.

You need to know that all attorney's are busy and have numerous clients. Many people get upset when they don't get a call back within five minutes of calling/emailing and asking a question. I have worked with and for attorneys all of my career...a good attorney will call you/contact you first with information you need/want before you pickup up the phone or email; or cover it all for you in one visit/phone call. He/she will be one step ahead of you. But realize with the economy the way it is that all BK attorneys have a heavy workload and busy staff and that can even compromise the best attorney in timely getting back to clients...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I interviewed three "word of mouth" attorneys (recommended by a fellow BKer, my CPA, and an attorney friend). I was fortunate to find this forum during the process which aided in knowledge acquisition and my ability to steer the attorneys directly toward personal details/questions rather than generalized BK overviews. I gained additional insight and perspective with each consult attorney. Attorney knowledge and confidence were pivotal in selection. Communication style, the potential for a strong working relationship, and comfort were strong determining factors as well.

The attorney I selected has more than two decades of BK experience, plays on both sides of the fence (representing creditors as well), and was very confident in my C7 position. Knowledge and experience aside, he relates well to my personality and his communication style fits well with mine. He has taken time to substantiate his knowledge and has incorporated humor into the mix. As a result, I feel very comfortable with him.

Recommendations don't always work. The first attorney I interviewed was an awful fit for me! High business levels aren't necessarily an indication of a solid attorney (ex/ "BK mills") and cost isn't always synonymous with satisfaction/success (the most expensive attorney I interviewed was the least desirable and cost wasn't a factor).

Was there anything you asked before you paid them that helped determine if the attorney was good?

I asked if I was a solid C7 candidate. I insisted the attorneys substantiate their claims through discussion and by plugging numbers.

I suggest you interview a few attorneys before making a decision. You'll gain knowledge during this process and will hopefully find the attorney who is the best fit for you and your case.

Good luck!
      *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

I insisted the attorneys substantiate their claims through discussion and by plugging numbers.
        However, you may get some push back from attorneys on that particular issue, it is a "free consultation" after all, giving you detailed legal advice or running the means test in earnest is usually beyond the realm of the first meeting.

Anyway, very good article here about what to ask and how to approach an initial consultation.

Comment

My relationship with my attorney is alot like the relationship with my wife. Love and Hate. I will leave calls and send emails all week long with no response, and then get a call at 10:30pm (the elventh hour of the eleventh day), and be overjoyed by the news. I do alot of researching on my own, so I don't take up so much of his time. I write my questions down so if I do make contact I won't forget what to ask. Just check the court calendar and you can see my attorney hard at work. I am lucky I found him, now if he would only call back.

Comment

Now, they definitely wont like it.....but ask them how many times it took them to pass the bar exam....if they get upset....it probably took a few tries...if they gladly tell you they passed on the first try... you probably found at least a smart lawyer....

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
              However, you may get some push back from attorneys on that particular issue, it is a "free consultation" after all, giving you detailed legal advice or running the means test in earnest is usually beyond the realm of the first meeting.

Anyway, very good article here about what to ask and how to approach an initial consultation.
              http://askmethner.com/?p=609
              Very true. My first consult attorney wasn't receptive to plugging (plus, I was a bit clueless). Rather, he offered a BK overview bereft of any personal details. Free, typically, doesn't go far. I may have had the advantage of coming in under the recommendation wings. My latter two consults were aware I was engaged in the interviewing process and that my knowledge was growing. These factors may have contributed as well.
              *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Well, we are going to be filing chapter 13, he said we would be at 100% payback. I have just been worried after reading some of the problems people have had with attorneys. He had said that our tax refunds, and if my husband gets a "lump sum" settlement for disability (long shot to get it) that since we were 100% we wouldn't have to worry about having to give that to trustee.

I also wondered - does their fee (his is $3800) usually cover the full 5 years unless something out of the ordinary come up?

Thanks!

Comment

Usually the best ones don't necessarily give a free first consultation. Their time is worth something, and they are good enough to be able to charge for it. Of course, there are exceptions to this.
                  Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
                  Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
                  If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Never_Again View Post
                    Usually the best ones don't necessarily give a free first consultation. Their time is worth something, and they are good enough to be able to charge for it. Of course, there are exceptions to this.
                    It depends. It is fairly standard in the industry for consumer bankruptcy, any attorney that does primarily consumer oriented BK cannot realistically charge for a consult. If they do, they are probably not primarily practicing in BK. You will start running into consult fees on the business side.

Comment

I am wondering if the flip side of this question might be:
                      "how do you know if you are dealing with a BK-mill or not".
                      Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                      Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                      341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                      Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Yes - how do I know it is not a BK mill? I just saw an ad for my attorney's firm on TV today - had not seen it before - should I be worried???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X