I am disabled deaf/mute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am disabled deaf/mute

And I said in another thread that i have to represent myself because i cant afford a lawyer and it seems LEGAL AID has a long waiting list and I need to file within the next few weeks, ANOTHER POSTER in that thread said that the court/trustee is NOT REQUIRED to provide sign lang interpretors etc because it isnt an official court proceeding and that I would have trouble going pro se since I cant hear or speak. It sort of shocks me to learn that they arent required to accomodate me but I am not really one to make a big thing of my disabilty but this does pose a bit of a problem as you may imagine, during my meeting of the creditors.

So I ask, what do you folks think about my situation, my case is VERY SIMPLE, I have VERY little assets no RE, I have ONE DEBT which is a CC that i am going chap 7 on because of stupid raising interest rates, I have never been late or missed a payment, not once, in 7 years, but i cant pay it anymore, I live on 907 a month disability check so this is a slam dunk case for the most part BUT I AM DEAF AND MUTE so how will I represent myself since I cant afford a lawyer and the lawyers I call dont seem interested in PRO BONO

Please comment/discuss as I need answers within the next week or so when i file.

I am in TUCSON ARIZONA btw.
    Thanks!

If I were you, I would contact an ADA advocate for help. From my understanding of ADA, they (the court) have to provide solutions so as to handle your disability.
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Go to the person who files the most BKs in your area and ask for a ProBono case. Or go to several attys. Some states have mandatory pro bono requirements for attorneys and your case is simple. Good luck to you.
      7-2-2009 Filed
      8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
      10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

You have nothing the lender can take from you. You are judgment proof. And I wouldn't consider being deaf a disability when the collection calls start!

Don't waste your time on a bankruptcy.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          You have nothing the lender can take from you. You are judgment proof. And I wouldn't consider being deaf a disability when the collection calls start!

Don't waste your time on a bankruptcy.
          I said this same thing in a previous thread. If this is not a pity party, he has nothing they could collect against. Collection proof, but not judgment proof. Judgments can haunt you in the future if you win the lottery with better income. I'm really not sure what this OP is wishing from us. This is about the third thread with the same questions worded in different ways. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

please don't do muiltiple posts

See subject line.

There are many people here, trying to help others with their BK. But posting the essentially same situation muilitple times is time consuming; and a waste of people's time.

It won't get you more answers to questions. More than likely- it gets less...
            Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
            341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
            Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
            Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

From the Arizona BK Court: http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/default.aspx?PID=102
              ---

Notice Regarding Sign Language Interpreters & Other Auxiliary Aids & Services

It is the policy of the Judicial Conference of the United States that all Federal courts provide reasonable accommodations to persons with communications disabilities.

If you are a debtor (the person who filed bankruptcy), a creditor (a person owed money from the debtor) or other interested party to the bankruptcy case and you are deaf, hearing impaired or have other communication disabilities, a sign language interpreter, assisted listening device, or computer-assisted real-time reporting will be provided either by the Bankruptcy Court, or a sign language interpreter will be provided by the United States Trustee, depending on the hearing, without charge.

To request a sign language interpreter for the Meeting of Creditors hearing, which is conducted by the trustee, contact the following no later than seven business days prior to the meeting:

Ms. Lana LeDuuc
              Office of the United States Trustee
              602-682-2609

Assisted listening headsets are available for use by those with hearing impairments and are available in Phoenix, Tucson and Prescott Valley. See the courtroom clerk upon entering the courtroom, to request a headset.

To request a sign language interpreter for a hearing or trial set before the bankruptcy judge, contact the following no later than five business days prior to the scheduled hearing.
              Filed CH13 - 06/2009
              Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
                From the Arizona BK Court: http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/default.aspx?PID=102
                ---

Notice Regarding Sign Language Interpreters & Other Auxiliary Aids & Services

It is the policy of the Judicial Conference of the United States that all Federal courts provide reasonable accommodations to persons with communications disabilities.

If you are a debtor (the person who filed bankruptcy), a creditor (a person owed money from the debtor) or other interested party to the bankruptcy case and you are deaf, hearing impaired or have other communication disabilities, a sign language interpreter, assisted listening device, or computer-assisted real-time reporting will be provided either by the Bankruptcy Court, or a sign language interpreter will be provided by the United States Trustee, depending on the hearing, without charge.

To request a sign language interpreter for the Meeting of Creditors hearing, which is conducted by the trustee, contact the following no later than seven business days prior to the meeting:

Ms. Lana LeDuuc
                Office of the United States Trustee
                602-682-2609

Assisted listening headsets are available for use by those with hearing impairments and are available in Phoenix, Tucson and Prescott Valley. See the courtroom clerk upon entering the courtroom, to request a headset.

To request a sign language interpreter for a hearing or trial set before the bankruptcy judge, contact the following no later than five business days prior to the scheduled hearing.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  I said this same thing in a previous thread. If this is not a pity party, he has nothing they could collect against. Collection proof, but not judgment proof. Judgments can haunt you in the future if you win the lottery with better income. I'm really not sure what this OP is wishing from us. This is about the third thread with the same questions worded in different ways. 'Hub
                  My apologies. It isnt a pity party I really dont care that I am deaf, it is only a concern because someone else mentioned that I may have trouble going pro se so I wanted to address it in a new thread for fresh ideas. Sorry.

Comment

Percy, In the other thread, I indicated that you should contact the U.S. Trustee and see if they could accommodate you. I don't understand the multiple postings, but do understand that you are looking for help.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X