Going alone to 341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going alone to 341?

I've decided that my lawyer is fairly incompetent but he did give the option to go to the 341 meeting alone and will take $500 off his fees if he does not have to attend.
    MY QUESTIONS:

1.Is this a terrible idea? My impression is it is likely to be me and the judge but I really don't know what to expect.

2. What type of questions will I need to be prepared for? I'm going to ask my lawyer this question too, but I wanted to get some imput here as well.

Thanks,
    Dealingsdone

Good thread, I wondered what the standard questions are at the 341. I saw someone on here post that they were asked if they had SOLD ANYTHING in the last 2 years, DO THEY ALWAYS ASK THIS as a rule or is it different for each trustee. I have sold a lot of stuff over the last 2 years at yard sales and swap meets over the last two years to make ends meet, is that an issue?

Comment

There will be a trustee present, not a judge. The US Trustee may appear as well. I'd let my attorney stay home for $500, especially if I thought she were incompetent.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Check this post as it is fairly accurate.

Saving $500 on the jerk is a good deal. You won't be there too long anyway. It sure looks bad on your lawyers part though. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

What kind of crummy attorney does that? What district are you in? I'd get filleted for that if I pulled that here.
          I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Sounds like a crummy atty indeed, I just had my first interview with an atty and he was a super nice guy and comes with some VERY GOOD referrals from others who used him. He told me 1300 to file 7 which includes all court costs etc. So we talked a bit and I left and when I got home I had an e mail from him:

"It was a pleasure to speak with you this morning. After reflecting on your situation, I have decided that I will split the cost of filing with you which will lower your cost to $650. I hope that helps. Also, would you please e-mail me your address so that I can complete the fee agreement and e-mail it out to you."

Super nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKutkowski View Post
              What kind of crummy attorney does that? What district are you in? I'd get filleted for that if I pulled that here.
              I'm in Los Angeles. Clearly this attorney is not steller. Is he breaking a rule by allowing/encouraging me to go to the 341 alone?

Comment

Originally posted by dealingsdone View Post
                I'm in Los Angeles. Clearly this attorney is not steller. Is he breaking a rule by allowing/encouraging me to go to the 341 alone?
                Not sure. Out here I'd be hauled into judge's chamber for not sending an appearance attorney.
                I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

You will have to answer the questions anyway, not your attorney. If you case is pretty straightforward, I'd go with it. You can always cry foul later if things go sideways. ;)
                  Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
                  341 Meeting 09/09/09
                  Discharged 11/12/09
                  Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Just make sure everything on your schedules is correct and bring any documentation you may need to answer questions. In my 341 the tt spent a lot of time going over the titles for all vehicles to make sure the liens were recorded properly. You likely won't need any paperwork you bring but if you need something you'll be glad you brought it!
                    Filed Chapter 7 7/24/2009
                    UST Has Questions :unsure: 08/11/2009
                    341 Completed !!! 9/1/2009 :clapping:
                    DISCHARGED 11/10/2009 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

If my attorney had offered $500 not to go I would have jumped on it. They actually sent a stand in and the only thing she said during the meeting was 'my name is jane doe representing xyz law firm' The rest was just me answering questions. Then she said bye & good luck.
                      Filed 5/29/09
                      Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by mamaluv View Post
                        If my attorney had offered $500 not to go I would have jumped on it. They actually sent a stand in and the only thing she said during the meeting was 'my name is jane doe representing xyz law firm' The rest was just me answering questions. Then she said bye & good luck.
                        Good grief. This is what makes this brand of law so maligned. I've sent an appearance attorney before but they are on the prep phone call so they can answer questions if need be.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X