Feel the need to vent !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel the need to vent !!!!

I filed Chapter 13 last week. All of my debt's included in my bankruptcy are credit cards. I am lucky enough to be current on hse, car, taxes, utilitlies and such. I got a notice today from the electric company that they were notified of my bankruptcy and now I am required to pay a $ 202.00 security deposit due by Nov 12th or my electric w/be shut off. I owe them nothing .. I called & spoke with them and they said they are notified when anyone files bankruptcy and this is how it is handled. I explained that they ARE NOT include in my bankruptcy .. They dont care it is what it is.... Ughhhhhhhhh . Now I have to come up with $ 202 & also pay my first bankruptcy payment.... Just needed to vent...Thanks for listening
    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
    Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
    Discharged 4-13-15

Has anyone else had this happen to them once they filed for BK?

Does it matter if it's a 7 or 13?

Another reason for me to delay filing as long as possible especially with the holidays and heating bills coming!!!

Anyone with experience please post...thanks
    Stopped paying CC: September 2009 ; Retained attorney: 9/9/2009; Filed Chap 7: January 18, 2010; 341 Meeting: March 9, 2010; Discharged and Closed: April 29, 2010

Comment

Call back and ask them politely if you can spread that deposit over 3 months. The reason is, you just filed Bankruptcy and all your money goe to the U.S. Trustee.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

This is nuts... talk about business trying to force you into a 7 instead this would be a case of that. Do they think that we want to file a BK?? Geesh...

Comment

Originally posted by klandsb View Post
          Now I have to come up with $ 202 & also pay my first bankruptcy payment.... Just needed to vent...Thanks for listening
          How dumb of them... too bad you didn't know they did that. You could have skipped 2 months payments, included them in the BK, then had the money for the security deposit plus some.
          Filed CH13 - 06/2009
          Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

while I do not have any direct experience with this, I will say that trying to do the right thing and being in Chapter 13 hasn't done anything positive for me!
            Chapter 13 - 22 months left!
            100% to unsecured
            $1580 per month!
            plam modified $875 per month!!!!!!!

Comment

I would call your local state representative and see if their office can call for you. You explain the issues to your reps office and they may help.

Comment

Never heard of it.
                Who do you pay for your electricity, your bank? Sound like something they would pull.

Comment

Before we filed, we were hit with having to pay a very large deposit of about $790.00 because we had fallen behind in paying our monthly bill. We had to pay the FULL amount or our electricity would be shut off. That hurt.

Not only that, we had to include the amount of this deposit in our paperwork asking if we had paid any deposits anywhere. Then, when we were ruled an Asset Case, and given the opportunity to buy our stuff back from the BK Estate, we had to buy this @#%^*% deposit back--though at a discount of $500.00.

So we got to pay for our electricity twice here. I still don't understand it.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I called Duquesne Light 2 times today and spoke w/different people. Got the same answer.
                    When I asked about making 3 installments they said NOPE . It has to be paid in full by Nov. 12th or your electric will be shut off.... Don't ya just love how they treat there good paying customers ...NOT
                    I call the Public Utility Commision and they said legally the electric company is allowed to do this and there is nothing the Public Utility Commision can do to help me..

Called my attorneys office and they said not always, but sometimes this happans and all you can do is pay it . UGHHHHHHHH

I just hope this isnt the start of every utility wanting a deposit .....
                    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                    Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                    Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

So it's apparently up to each individual company. I'm in PA too, can't wait to see what my provider does when I file. They will probably want a deposit much higher, matter of fact the rates are going up 30% in January 2010. I feel for you!
                      Stopped paying CC: September 2009 ; Retained attorney: 9/9/2009; Filed Chap 7: January 18, 2010; 341 Meeting: March 9, 2010; Discharged and Closed: April 29, 2010

Comment

In my particular case, I did BK the Electric company but that was $900 against an already $800 deposit that they used their right of setoff against. In any event, after the BK they asked for a deposit. (Actually, I didn't know that they created a new account and kept supplying electricity to my EMPTY home.) I moved back into my homestead and the electricity was still on. Also generated a $200/month bill (during the summer) for 3 months from the "minimal" setting on the A/C at about 82F. I was able to catch up that bill and still have them pro-rate the deposit over three months!
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have a similar situation through my second mortgage. They tacked on a $300 "lawyer retrainer" fee in case something goes wrong with my case. Called and complained, but they said they do this to everyone who files 7 or 13 bk. They said it would be reimbursed when my case is discharged in 5 years! I did not include them in my case either. Kick me when I'm down! These banks are ruthless!
                          Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
                            Kick me when I'm down! These banks are ruthless!
                            It's not just the banks, it is everyone. Get a little bit behind with anything and you get socked with late fees, penalties, handling fees, you name it--if they can screw it out of you, they do it.
                            Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM.
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

crazy lol, none of my utility companys were notified when i filed. Goes to show you how much the districts vary. I guess it would be safe to find out who is in ones district to get a knowledgable answer. In saying this, these folks on this forum have enlightened me on several issues involving BK. I just wish i hadn't waited so far into my plan to google and find this site.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X