Responsiveness of BK Attorneys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsiveness of BK Attorneys?

Is it normal for BK attorneys to take 2-3 days to respond to a client's simple question? Could it be that law offices are backlogged with more BK cases then they're able to handle? We are looking to file soon, but lately it seems like it takes a long time for our attorney to respond when we have questions.

Here is a good blog post about how to effectively communicate with you attorney.

The attorney should at least give you a proper expectation about turnaround time on communication. But, 48 hours is actually reasonable.

Comment

Man, I'd love for my attorney to respond in 2-3 days. I usually get a response within a week. Nothing I've asked has been that pressing, but when we have deadlines to meet they always were good about making it happen (so far).

Most (the really good ones anyway) are really busy now so I don't think a 2-3 day turnaround is out of the norm.
      Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

I think before the holidays is a really busy time for BK's, and also people are trying to drop their debt before the end of the year. Does your lawyer have an assistant? Usually if you email their assistant they can answer general questions faster or forward the ones they do not know to the lawyer.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by adviceplease View Post
            I think before the holidays is a really busy time for BK's, and also people are trying to drop their debt before the end of the year. Does your lawyer have an assistant? Usually if you email their assistant they can answer general questions faster or forward the ones they do not know to the lawyer.
            Around here it quiets down until the first of the year. My rule is 24 hours except on weekends or holidays, and usually you'll get a call anyway because I'm so anal retentive I check my voicemail on the weekend.
            I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by appleae View Post
              Is it normal for BK attorneys to take 2-3 days to respond to a client's simple question? Could it be that law offices are backlogged with more BK cases then they're able to handle? We are looking to file soon, but lately it seems like it takes a long time for our attorney to respond when we have questions.
              Your key words in your posting are "but lately" and "simple question." Having worked in law firms for many years, I can tell you either your attorney is out, has a lot of court appearances, some of his staff is out or his messages are prioritized. If your mesage was of an urgent nature, you would probably have had a response by now. What I suggest you do is get the name, email address and phone number of his paralegal who can be of great assistance to you with some questions and will check with the attorney for ones he/she cannot help you with.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X