Using Pacer to view someone else's BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Pacer to view someone else's BK

Anyone use Pacer to view or track someone else's bankruptcy?
    Was there an advantage?
    Or just to be nosey?
    Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
    Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
    341 Meeting 01/05/2009
    Discharged 03/06/2009

There may be an advantage in the learning curve. It is totally legal as Public Record. However to track someone down that you know, in my opinion, is a moral issue so let your conscience be your guide. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My friend does not have Pacer, and was patiently awaiting her Discharge. I monitored it for her, and let her know the day it showed in Pacer, at her request!

So you can watch other peoples cases through Pacer, but other than doing it as a favor I do not see the point. Although they are public record, the specifics of anyone's case has nothing to do with you.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

When I was first contemplating filing pro se, a friend that had just filed suggested I look at their filing as an example.

Most of my friends and family know we are filing so they are welcome to take a look if they want. I'm sorry that I had to file but I'm not ashamed. Bottom line is that the double whammy of 20 months unemployment and investment real estate imploding pretty much took it out of my hands.
        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

The only advantage I could see would be if the BK was complicated and involved a business or was borderline between a 7 and 13. In cases like those I could see it as information gathering.
          Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
          341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
          Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

As long as the party who is the subject of the PACER account is aware of the view as a favor, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just to cruise through looking can get pretty expensive. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              As long as the party who is the subject of the PACER account is aware of the view as a favor, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just to cruise through looking can get pretty expensive. 'Hub
              Do you need some ID info to view someone case on Pacer.

I would love to go there and look at some cases in my District that might be similar. How would I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Denart View Post
                Do you need some ID info to view someone case on Pacer.

I would love to go there and look at some cases in my District that might be similar. How would I do that?
                Remember what I said above in this old thread. Let your conscience be your guide and don't search down people you know.

To answer the question, in pacer, in bankruptcy, pick your court district like "Florida middle district" or whatever yours is.

Pick any name, like Smith. It will list many many Smiths, so look at the docket number. The first two are the year like 09-12345 and the case type as 7, 13, etc. Then click on the docket number link and go to the case and then look at the docket history. I have done this on AP's as I am in one, just to see how to deal with it. I did not know the person. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Denart View Post
                  Do you need some ID info to view someone case on Pacer. I would love to go there and look at some cases in my District that might be similar. How would I do that?
                  You can do that - just be prepared that you could get a large bill from PACER for doing it. Depending on exactly what you search for and then what you open, you can be charged $0.08/page to get at the information you want.

Searching PACER blindly when you don't know what you are doing can be a very expensive proposition. Proceed with a *LOT* of caution. It doesn't matter if you generate a really large bill by accident - you still have to pay it. And believe me when I say it's happened to several members before.
                  Last edited by lrprn; 01-02-2010, 12:25 PM.
                  I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                  06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                  07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                  10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                  01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                  09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                  06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                  08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                  Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

How much information about a petition does PACER give? Every page of every submitted document, including schedules, etc., or a briefer summary? After all, a petition is full of social security numbers, account numbers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mtbc View Post
                      How much information about a petition does PACER give? Every page of every submitted document, including schedules, etc., or a briefer summary? After all, a petition is full of social security numbers, account numbers, etc.
                      Social Security & credit card numbers will be blocked out, but the entire petition is online for everyone to see.
                      Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

I viewed what I needed to and no more.
                        No need to review the entire petition etc.
                        I needed confirmation for another matter.
                        Previous folks posting on this thread are correct, no need to delve into someone else's business outside what it is for you, and getting charged . . .
                        Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                        Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                        341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                        Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

I've used pacer to fully download, in pdf format, my case. That way I can never lose it. My computer stay organized and backed up. My paper files, not so much

I also used it to look over my sis-in-laws case when she had a question. I got to a total balance of like 6-7 dollars and have not logged in again in months, and don't intend to.

I wonder if I will ever get a bill since I never will get to the $10 billme level.....
                          3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
                          4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
                          4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
                          6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

I have no qualms about looking at the bankruptcy filing of someone else via Pacer. I actually looked up several people that I knew including a few folks that I didn't like. Public information is just that... Public.

Comment

That's actually been my attitude too. Though, I'd be interested to be able to attach something to my filing that lets me know who looked! (-:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X