Odd experience ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd experience ?

I called the orlando Bankruptcy court clerk today to see if I could get a recommendation for a lawyer. they said they could not do that and I should call the State Bar association. She gave me a number to call.

when I called, it was an answering machine to leave name and number for a call back. A lady called me back and I explained what I wanted. She said that for a fee of $50 ( payable by CC ?? !! ) she would give me the name of an attorney. I thought it seemed odd. has anyone else had that happen?

I have had consultations with 2 attorneys so far, both of whom seemed OK, but I would like a couple of recommendations too. I am so fearful of getting the wrong representation. My Husband and I are self employed, and need to keep our business during and after personal BK ( hopefully chap 7 )

If anyone has had a positive ( or negative ) experience with an attorney in Orlando, I would appreciate hearing about it by Personal message

Thank You
    Marie

I never heard of paying for a referral... but that's just me. I don't ask for lawyer or doctor referrals generally, so maybe this is the norm???
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by marie View Post
      I called the orlando Bankruptcy court clerk today to see if I could get a recommendation for a lawyer. they said they could not do that and I should call the State Bar association. She gave me a number to call.

when I called, it was an answering machine to leave name and number for a call back. A lady called me back and I explained what I wanted. She said that for a fee of $50 ( payable by CC ?? !! ) she would give me the name of an attorney. I thought it seemed odd. has anyone else had that happen?

I have had consultations with 2 attorneys so far, both of whom seemed OK, but I would like a couple of recommendations too. I am so fearful of getting the wrong representation. My Husband and I are self employed, and need to keep our business during and after personal BK ( hopefully chap 7 )

If anyone has had a positive ( or negative ) experience with an attorney in Orlando, I would appreciate hearing about it by Personal message

Thank You

WOW... that sounds insane ! Have you double checked the number for the Bar Association yourself to see if it actually matches the number that the clerk gave you ?

IF that number matches, instead of asking for a referral for an attorney I would ask for a complaint form.
      I think I also would call the clerk back and inquire as to whether or not THEY are aware about this schenadigan.

By the way.... I don't know how to do a "PM"... but, if you explain the "PM' process to me, I would be willing to forward you a name of an attorney for the Orlando area...

Comment

thanks Ohboy

click on my name in blue on the left, and then click " send a private message " from the list
        Marie

Comment

Same here in SC, $50 for a referral from the SC Bar. I thought it was incredible that they charge to promote their own members.
          ==================================
          Filed: 4-30-2010
          341 Complete: 6-16-2010
          Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X