Missing the first payments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marie View Post
    we are so lucky to have found this forum.
    Even though I am still pretty stressed out, I am able to deal with things, like for example, the phone calls in a much more confident manner. I have also found it has educated me enourmously on the whole process, and I feel more able to talk intelligently to the attorneys about my circumstances.

My situation is a bit complex, and I still have some worries, but not as much as before.

Thank you to everyone who participates here and gives such good advice and encouragement

I have to say I LOVE the saying in your sig...I keep telling myself that over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
      Amazingly enough, USAA didn't call today (*yet*--I probably just jinxed it)--I figured they would since we were officially late.

I spent the day saving CC statements to a file on the computer for later printing if needed. How many months is enough? After we stop paying, I'm guessing we won't have access to statements anymore and should just save the "collection" letters at that point?
      hi JEM--just reading through this thread and I was going to respond after reading all the posts, but I wanted to address USAA since I also filed on USAA. I also felt bad only about USAA but it came and it passed. I read somewhere on a bk board elsewhere that USAA severs all their ties with you and restricts your online access--boo hoo. I called them and asked them and spoke to a knowledgeable person in their bk department who advised the same but also provided me with answers to all my questions. When all was said and done, USAA is the only creditor that properly followed the bk code and the only creditor that properly reported my account to the credit bureaus. If you have insurance with them and want to keep it, stay current and they will let you keep it and renew it. They WILL restrict your online access but you really dont need it. Let them waste a tree sending you the policy.

Save at least a years worth of bank statements and create a file on your computer for each creditor

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        What about where you work? Can they call you there?
        you probably inadvertently volunteered your work number when you filled out your credit application. We all do it. I eventually got called at work but when I noticed their pattern (of first calling my cell) I was able to circumvent the calls. If you anticipate the call and you can somehow tell its them when they call, sometimes there is a pause as the automated dialer connects you to a live person, you can preempt them by telling them they have the wrong number, but dont answer with your name...only with your dept or company name. Give it a shot if they call at work. It was tough at my job where its all open cubicles.

Comment

I agree with all of you. I just stopped paying cc's and started getting calls to home phone. Strange, I never gave any of them my cell # but somehow they tracked it down and began to call on it too. It has been hard to stop paying because it was always what I did. But with my job loss and without any prospects in finding another job soon, I just can't pay anymore. And for years always on the debt treadmill to the cc's some I have not used for 8 years and still paying on them because of the interest, fees, etc !! Its all to keep you paying.. enslaved to them... always keep the cc's companies in cash flow...
          I really do not care to ever have a cc ever again !! After all of this misery and stress... they can forget about it !! At least with BK you can get a fresh start and move ahead with a bright future.. From now on for me its cash only... Bright future to all in 2010

Comment

We are about to miss our first payments on the 15th. My husband is freaking out about them calling him at work. He works 3rd shift though... so he most likely won't be there when he calls I guess.... and neither will the other people he works with.

It feels so wrong not to pay when we've been paying for so many years.. no matter what we had to do.
            Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
            Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
            Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
            Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

We are late on three payments now. Two weeks on one and 5 days on two others. The latest one, Barclays just called today. We told them we MIGHT have money to pay at the end of the month and that was it.
              Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
              Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
              Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
              341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

I hear you .... Its something I've had to tell myself and my lawyer too to stop paying on the unsecured debt... I had the fear my credit score will take a nose dive... And really business society has dictated everything tied to the credit score, get a home, get a car, get cheaper insurance, get a decent job, etc..Credit can be rebuilt over time... For now, its a choice between myself to survive with no job ...or keep paying the cc's... The cc's companies lose... I can't live in a cc.. I can't eat a cc ( though they want me to eat it )... I can't get around in a cc... Its a business choice... With the recession and the job market its no wonder tons of people are having to make the same choices. And the greedy cc companies trying to get all they can especially before February... and their strongarm tactics.. the crushing debt... All of these companies getting their bailouts.. where is the bailout for the consumer ?... Stay strong, BK is NOT the end, its a fresh start... Really what choice did any of us have in this, NONE !! I'd rather wipe the slate and start over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  We are late on three payments now. Two weeks on one and 5 days on two others. The latest one, Barclays just called today. We told them we MIGHT have money to pay at the end of the month and that was it.
                  We are now two payments late on Barclay. If you speak with them they will stop calling for a few days before they start calling again. If you don't speak with them the calls with start at 8 am and not stop till about 8 pm. Just a heads up.
                  Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
                  341 June 1st, 2010
                  Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
                  Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

Glad to have found this forum! I started thinking about declaring BK yesterday and spent all of today getting cc statements in order (only 4 months though - looks like I need to go back 2 more months to get 6?) and getting the names and numbers or lawyers and am going to be calling tomorrow morning! I have been paying ccs up until now, but we are so behind on mortgage, car, power, phone/cable bills etc it is out of control. I have $0.22 in the bank right now!! We had a cc payment due the other day that I didn't pay because I can't, but I get paid on the 15th and have my next one due then and am going to skip it...my first one. Glad to have found this forum and post because I didn't realize it was that 'easy' to just not pay and you could do that.
                    You don't tell them when they call you are declaring bk? Just don't answer? Ugh I have 2 little girls and the phone ringing all the time is going to be crazy... Can I just turn my ringer off? =/ We have 30, yes, 30 credit cards...I can't imagine what it's going to be like when they all start calling... We already get random calls when I can't make it on time and i set it up for them to take it out of our next paycheck to get them off our back. No more...I can't do it!
                    Is there any reason to not try and find a lawyer and get this process moving right away (other than not having the $ to pay them - hopefully with a month or two of not making cc payments we could afford it if I can find one that will take a couple payments like I have heard some do)?

I am clueless on all of this, but want out of this mess and my life back! There is too much stress around here with no money!

Comment

Add Citi to the call list now. We went late with them now too.

USAA still calls the most. Today they actually called my cell phone every.single.MINUTE for 5 minutes straight.

Comment

Add Citi to the call list now. We went late with them now too.

USAA still calls the most. Today they actually called my cell phone every.single.MINUTE for 5 minutes straight.
                        Ouch! What is USAA?
                        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Barclays finally called on Sunday. Told them we have no $$ right now but might at the end of the month.

Promised to pay BOA on the 18th and Chase at the end of the month.

These will be their last payments.
                          Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                          Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                          Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                          341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
                            Ouch! What is USAA?

USAA is banking/insurance for military/prior military. We have/had CC's with them, but also our auto and life insurance.

Comment

USAA is banking/insurance for military/prior military. We have/had CC's with them, but also our auto and life insurance.
                              Ohh okay.
                              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X