No announcement yet.

To return CC purchase.. or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question To return CC purchase.. or not?

We are going to file ch7 in March 2010. I purchased a car seat and a crib on a new credit card b/c my youngest outgrew her infant carrier and my crib was recalled

Does it look better on my behalf if I go ahead and return those two purchases? The crib is still in the box (just arrived two days ago) and the car seat is as well. Or... does it really even matter if I go ahead and keep them since we are waiting out the 90 days to file anyway. I am continuing to pay the minimum payment due on this credit card regardless of whether I return the items or not. The total of the two things together is about $325.
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

Under your circumstances I see no need to return them. I would make sure you stop using all your cards going forward however.
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

How long ago did you order them?

I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things, it will matter that much if you return them (though someone far more experienced than me can answer that for sure).

Do you still NEED the items?

Comment

I definitely still need the items. The car seat can wait at least a couple of weeks, so I could return that and buy it outright. The crib though... I definitely need it now.

I just ordered them about two weeks ago.

I am definitely not going to use any cards anymore. I don't want to prolong the filing date any more than I already have. If I'd known my husband would actually come around to filing, I never would have gotten the card and used it to begin with He's been so against BK that I honestly never thought he'd do it.
        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
          I definitely still need the items. The car seat can wait at least a couple of weeks, so I could return that and buy it outright. The crib though... I definitely need it now.

I just ordered them about two weeks ago.

I am definitely not going to use any cards anymore. I don't want to prolong the filing date any more than I already have. If I'd known my husband would actually come around to filing, I never would have gotten the card and used it to begin with He's been so against BK that I honestly never thought he'd do it.
          Again, totally not my area of expertise since I'm just a newbie, but I would think if you are already planning on making one or two payment to that card, AND you aren't filing for at least 90 days--that returning them will probably making very little, if any difference.

I would keep them.

Comment

Does it make a difference if she is "only" planing to do chap 13 and intends repayment?

Just wondering.
            Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
            Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
            Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
            341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Does it make a difference if she is "only" planing to do chap 13 and intends repayment?

Just wondering.
              I'm actually planning to do ch7.. but if I can't, then we'll go ahead and do 13. From what I've done through the means test and the schedules J & I, we are eligible for ch7.
              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I'm actually planning to do ch7.. but if I can't, then we'll go ahead and do 13. From what I've done through the means test and the schedules J & I, we are eligible for ch7.
                Oh, I know, I was just wondering what if. Thank you!
                Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Gotcha
                  Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                  Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Okay, so I should just keep them since I'm not filing for 90 days.. and I will continue to make the minimum payment on that card... hopefully that's the right thing to do
                    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                    Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Okay, so I should just keep them since I'm not filing for 90 days.. and I will continue to make the minimum payment on that card... hopefully that's the right thing to do
                      It is. The real person here to worry about is the US Trustee. They are going to ask you a question as to when you knew you were bankrupt. Whatever date that is, make sure you have no charges on your card after that date.

If you run up debts when you know you are bankrupt that's fraud. I honestly don't know how often it is pursued but there it is.
                      So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
                      Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
                      Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
                      And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dst1 View Post
                        It is. The real person here to worry about is the US Trustee. They are going to ask you a question as to when you knew you were bankrupt. Whatever date that is, make sure you have no charges on your card after that date.

If you run up debts when you know you are bankrupt that's fraud. I honestly don't know how often it is pursued but there it is.
                        Got it! Thank you
                        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X