top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has changed? (with out credit cards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has changed? (with out credit cards)

We have not used our cards since late July for anything. (since the letters of dread lowering our limits, raising our rates). Never being late or missing a payment, our credit was destroyed over night by them. After much reading, and beating ourselves up, we stopped paying those CC bills this month, and dumped all guilt over it.

For us, nothing has really changed other then not having that secured feeling of not being able to use one in an emergency. Actually all our cards are still active, but locked away in our safe. (no intent to use them). Life seems to be going okay with out them.

We shop the clearance racks for clothes, shoes etc, (same as before) we pay cash when dinning out, (same as before), we use our debit cards for gas (same as before), use our debit card for food, prescriptions, and whatnots (same as before)... well you get the picture. Everything is about the same.

I'm sure we are going to be shocked when we go to buy another auto, but that wont be for a few years.

Is everything about the same for you? Life okay with out the cards?
    In a perfect world every dog has a home, and every home has a dog.

We didn't use our cards for much but dental and medical when we got into trouble then we did buy groceries on it and a few things. So, nothing has changed in that manner, but not having them to fall back on if something goes wrong with our health does scare me. But honestly if we don't have a choice so all we can do is hope things get better and hubby gets back to work before his unemployment runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by PacificBlue View Post
      We have not used our cards since late July for anything. (since the letters of dread lowering our limits, raising our rates). Never being late or missing a payment, our credit was destroyed over night by them. After much reading, and beating ourselves up, we stopped paying those CC bills this month, and dumped all guilt over it.

For us, nothing has really changed other then not having that secured feeling of not being able to use one in an emergency. Actually all our cards are still active, but locked away in our safe. (no intent to use them). Life seems to be going okay with out them.

We shop the clearance racks for clothes, shoes etc, (same as before) we pay cash when dinning out, (same as before), we use our debit cards for gas (same as before), use our debit card for food, prescriptions, and whatnots (same as before)... well you get the picture. Everything is about the same.

I'm sure we are going to be shocked when we go to buy another auto, but that wont be for a few years.

Is everything about the same for you? Life okay with out the cards?
      We only go cash (debit card). We do not miss CC at all. I carry a $100 bill in my wallet stashed and folded small, for emergencies, or let's say an embarrassing situation such as paying for a meal, and the card locks up (no money). Then I can blame it on the card and pay the bill. Never had to do that, but it is a good feel of assurance to have that resource. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Ahhh, yeah "mad money". Love that, always have a bill or two tucked away.

We have never had a card rejected. One time (and this IS the truth) I was at Home depot using a Credit card in my wife's name. The lady scanned it, looked at the back and said "is this your wife's card"? I said, "no I found it in the parking lot, thought I would give it a try". (being a smartass of course).

She called to some guy running back and forth at the end of the check outs. I said, it's my wife's card, its fine. The guy came over, took the card and asked to see some ID. I said, it's my wife's card, we got married last year and her ex husband's last name is still on the card, we haven't changed it yet. So, our last names won't match.

He said "I'm going to have to keep this card, and since it's in your wife's name and that name is different now, she will have to have another card issued to her". I told him, Since I'm responsible for that card, and I don't know you from those 2x4's (pointing at the ones I was buying) I'm going to have to have that card back, but I prefer you just give it back willingly.

He handed me the card, but I could tell right away he knew he made mistake, and called the manager on his walkie-talkie. The manger got there, they explain it all and he said let me see the card. (it was already back in my pocket).

I told I was just being a smartass, cross check the address on the card to my ID and you will see it's the same address. He said they couldn't do that from here and wanted to see the card. I said, before this gets ugly lets just say you are not going to see the card, and I will use another card to pay for this stuff.

He asked if it was in my wife's name also, I said, yeah but this one will her my last name on it, so there wont be an issue. He said, they needed a card with my name or cash at this point. ...............

I now shop at Lowe's.

Comment

Ahhh, yeah "mad money". Love that, always have a bill or two tucked away.

We have never had a card rejected. One time (and this IS the truth) I was at Home depot using a Credit card in my wife's name. The lady scanned it, looked at the back and said "is this your wife's card"? I said, "no I found it in the parking lot, thought I would give it a try". (being a smartass of course).

She called to some guy running back and forth at the end of the check outs. I said, it's my wife's card, its fine. The guy came over, took the card and asked to see some ID. I said, it's my wife's card, we got married last year and her ex husband's last name is still on the card, we haven't changed it yet. So, our last names won't match.

He said "I'm going to have to keep this card, and since it's in your wife's name and that name is different now, she will have to have another card issued to her". I told him, Since I'm responsible for that card, and I don't know you from those 2x4's (pointing at the ones I was buying) I'm going to have to have that card back, but I prefer you just give it back willingly.

He handed me the card, but I could tell right away he knew he made mistake, and called the manager on his walkie-talkie. The manger got there, they explain it all and he said let me see the card. (it was already back in my pocket).

I told I was just being a smartass, cross check the address on the card to my ID and you will see it's the same address. He said they couldn't do that from here and wanted to see the card. I said, before this gets ugly lets just say you are not going to see the card, and I will use another card to pay for this stuff.

He asked if it was in my wife's name also, I said, yeah but this one will her my last name on it, so there wont be an issue. He said, they needed a card with my name or cash at this point. ...............

I now shop at Lowe's.
          So because you were being a smartass (your words), and trying to use a card that wasn't in your name; and with no proof of the cardholders permission to use it, you're pissed off at Home Depot?

I can see how they must really miss having you as a customer. I personally appreciate it when stores actually follow procedure. Tends to prevent fraud and abuse.
          Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
            So because you were being a smartass (your words), and trying to use a card that wasn't in your name; and with no proof of the cardholders permission to use it, you're pissed off at Home Depot?

I can see how they must really miss having you as a customer. I personally appreciate it when stores actually follow procedure. Tends to prevent fraud and abuse.
            No, I wasn't pissed at all (at first). Had I actually been using a stolen card, would I have said "I found it, and just trying to use it". I agree with you 100% I think stores should make every effort to stop fraud. But the difference of some one joking about it, (and having ID and other cards) and them thinking they had one of America's 10 most wanted was ridiculous.

I shop at Lowe's now because I like their prices better, and I think they have a better quality of goods. (actually, having built over a thousand houses, I KNOW they have a higher quality).

Comment

Haven't used any cc's in over two years. Was trying to pay them down, but not getting anywhere. Quit paying on them about 7 months ago. What has changed? Not much in the way of balances, that's for sure, with all the interest/fees racking up!

I guess when we had the cards, we had a different view on what we considered "emergencies." We used the cards for things that we COULD have gone without if we had to. Since we quit using the cards, we haven't really had any REAL emergencies. Funny how that works! Just this past month we had a minor emergency. Our electricity got shut off b/c I was late paying the bill. I was going to pay it on Wednesday, but they came and shut it off on Monday. If I'd had a cc, I'd have gone ahead and paid it on that instead of waiting for payday. But, I called my parents and asked for help, and we got it turned back on within a few hours rather than having to go for 2 days without.

We definitely have changed our spending habits on clothing, groceries, etc. I buy only necessities, shop clearance racks, second-hand stores....we don't have as much to eat but aren't starving. I am planning to file ch 7 in february or march 2010.....and as much as I tell myself I "need" to keep an emergency cc when we get to to other side of all this, I know all to well what could happen and I honestly don't trust myself. Even frozen in a block of ice in the freezer, you can still get those tempting cash advance checks that come attached to the bill, you can still use the card online if you have the number saved, etc. and to me the risk of falling back into old habits is just not worth it. I think we can make it totally cc-less for the rest of our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by lindsay2181 View Post
                We definitely have changed our spending habits on clothing, groceries, etc. I buy only necessities, shop clearance racks, second-hand stores....we don't have as much to eat but aren't starving. I am planning to file ch 7 in february or march 2010.....and as much as I tell myself I "need" to keep an emergency cc when we get to to other side of all this, I know all to well what could happen and I honestly don't trust myself. Even frozen in a block of ice in the freezer, you can still get those tempting cash advance checks that come attached to the bill, you can still use the card online if you have the number saved, etc. and to me the risk of falling back into old habits is just not worth it. I think we can make it totally cc-less for the rest of our lives.
                "frozen in a block of ice" .. I like that!

Comment

No, he wasn't wrong, he was doing the appropriate thing. If you read the Merchant agreements, they instruct us to tell our employees to never challenge a customer over a card, and always return it if the customer asks for it.

They are told to call the processor and there are "codes" to indicate issues. My favorite is when Novus says... "only answer my questions with yes or no... is the customer still there? would you like for us to call the police?" They then tell you to inform the customer that you need to keep the card. If the customer gets upset or asks for it back, you are to give it back to the customer. We would get $50 to recover any such card (lost, stolen, "capture", unauthorized person).

Sorry, but they were (probably) about to call the police on you.

Anyway, my spending habits have certainly changed. I'm no longer a compulsive shopper.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I agree JustBroke, I know I was in the wrong for being a smartass. But when you know your right, (it wasn't a stolen card) and your being accused of being in the wrong.. it does piss ya off a little.

Yeah, and there's that.. IF they had actually thought they had a crook why did they NOT call the police? Or have their security keep me from leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      We would get $50 to recover any such card (lost, stolen, "capture", unauthorized person).
                      The store? The store would make a profit of $50 from the cc company, for confiscating the card? WOW!

Comment

No, he wasn't wrong, he was doing the appropriate thing. If you read the Merchant agreements, they instruct us to tell our employees to never challenge a customer over a card, and always return it if the customer asks for it.

They are told to call the processor and there are "codes" to indicate issues. My favorite is when Novus says... "only answer my questions with yes or no... is the customer still there? would you like for us to call the police?" They then tell you to inform the customer that you need to keep the card. If the customer gets upset or asks for it back, you are to give it back to the customer. We would get $50 to recover any such card (lost, stolen, "capture", unauthorized person).

Sorry, but they were (probably) about to call the police on you.

Anyway, my spending habits have certainly changed. I'm no longer a compulsive shopper.
                        Now you're a compulsive BKforum poster!
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by lindsay2181 View Post
                          The store? The store would make a profit of $50 from the cc company, for confiscating the card? WOW!
                          No, the actual person (employee) who captured the card, would get the money!
                          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I agree JustBroke, I know I was in the wrong for being a smartass. But when you know your right, (it wasn't a stolen card) and your being accused of being in the wrong.. it does piss ya off a little.
                            I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. I had a similar issue at an old department store called Lechmere (electronics store before the days of BestBuy). I was buying a microwave oven and wanted to use a check. They asked me for identification and for some reason it didn't match the address on my check. They wouldn't accept the check. I even presented a Lechmere credit card and told them that they can validate who I was from that. They refused. I then asked the cashier and now manager (who showed up), if I could use my Lechmere card. They said yes.

So I very loudly stated, and turned towards the line forming behind me... "so, you won't take my check because there's something wrong with my ID and you don't trust me, but you'll take my Lechmere charge card?". The manager answered "yes". Everyone in line burst out laughing. They still wouldn't let me use the check, but did accept me charging it to my Lechmere card. Sometimes "policy" makes no sense.

Comment

Sometimes "policy" makes no sense.
                              It's one of those rules and regulations things. The rules only applies to those of us that don't understand the regulations. (or is it the regulations only apply to us that don't understand the rules?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X