What to expect at consultation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question What to expect at consultation

I have my first consultation with a lawyer tomorrow morning. They mentioned to bring in credit card statements and paystubs but that was it really and said I would get paperwork at that time.

I am going to go ahead and bring more (I just saw another post that had some more things listed such as tax returns from past 2 years and stuff) and I will need to be getting all of that gathered anyway, so going to take it jic.

I am sure lawyers are different in how they handle the first consultation, but what can I expect? How long did you mtg last and what all did you go over?
    Will he be able to tell me ch. 7 or 13 at this time?

Thanks for any info! I am starting to get really nervous and stressed out now!

Originally posted by munchkn813 View Post

I am going to go ahead and bring more (I just saw another post that had some more things listed such as tax returns from past 2 years and stuff) and I will need to be getting all of that gathered anyway, so going to take it jic.
    That's smart. You're going to have to gather it up anyway, so why not take it to the lawyer the first time. That helps for you and them to make the best decision for your situation.

Good luck.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

The more you bring with you, the easier it will be for the lawyer to give you good advise on what you do/don't qualify for. We were lucky in that the lawyer we met with sent us a letter prior to our appt that listed everything we needed to bring. Pay stubs for past 7 months, CC Statments, address of all creditors and any related collection agencies, cosigners on loans, past 2 years tax returns, etc.

You should also make a list of any questions you have. Cross them off as they get answered....and any that don't get answered...ASK!

Our meeting took about 2 hours. Our lawyer tried every way possible to get us into a Ch 7, but just couldn't do it.....which we were fine with. We didn't think we'd qualify for 7....but good news...we can do ch 13!!!

Everything will be just fine!!! I know the feeling you are having very well as I felt the same way. But, trust me, you'll feel much better after the meeting!!!

Good luck...let us know how it went!
      Filed Chapter 13 on March 16, 2010
      341 Mtg on April 16, 2010, Confirmed on May 7, 2010 (Step plan for 36 months)
      35 months down - 1 to go

Comment

2 hours?! Wow! That's excellent! Sounds like you found a good lawyer who is wonderful to work with!
        My stomach is in knots right now...omgoodness... I am going to be up for a while tonight getting everything together! The unknown is what's killing me right now...I am so tired of the stress of paying 40 bills/month and always being broke... Hopefully tomorrow will be the beginning of a new start for our family!

Comment

My experience was similar to sunshineMN. My attorney had a computer program and took a lot of information, so for a worthwhile session it is good to be prepared.

At a minimum I would recommend a list of your debts (you shouldn't need all the statements, just a list of creditors and amounts), a list of all real property owned and mortgage statements, car loan(s) & statements, and investment/retirement/bank account statements. Be prepared to answer questions about how much you spend on groceries, auto maintenance, home maintenance, utilities, etc.

Also bring six months of pay stubs if you are a W-2 wage earner, or at least enough so that your income and deductions can be closely figured for the past six months. If you have income other than W-2 I'm not sure what is required. Tax returns (past two years) are needed when filing, but probably not necessary for the initial consultation.

The free consultation turned out to be a two-hour working session to see if I could qualify for chapter 7. I ended up going with this attorney, but I was under no obligation to do so despite all that we accomplished.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X