This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for those who "stash" money?

I was wondering.. I've read a few threads where people mention they have some cash saved up and in their safe, etc., and I wondered... how do you GET the cash? I mean... I want to save some money and can finally save a little money now, but since we aren't filing until July, I am not sure how to save it. I don't want it sitting in a bank somewhere, but I also don't want to withdraw it from an ATM b/c how obvious is that?! I am just not sure what to do with it.
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
    I was wondering.. I've read a few threads where people mention they have some cash saved up and in their safe, etc., and I wondered... how do you GET the cash? I mean... I want to save some money and can finally save a little money now, but since we aren't filing until July, I am not sure how to save it. I don't want it sitting in a bank somewhere, but I also don't want to withdraw it from an ATM b/c how obvious is that?! I am just not sure what to do with it.
    Nothing wrong with withdrawing it from an ATM, or writing the check for $50 extra when you buy groceries. But you're going to have to disclose it when you file anyway, so why try to keep it a secret?
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
      Nothing wrong with withdrawing it from an ATM, or writing the check for $50 extra when you buy groceries. But you're going to have to disclose it when you file anyway, so why try to keep it a secret?
      Good point. I don't want to "keep it a secret" really. I just didn't want it sitting in the account... I dunno. I guess that sounds stupid!
      Last edited by coolmom04; 01-01-2010, 07:14 PM.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Good point. I don't want to "keep it a secret" really. I just didn't want it sitting in the account... I dunno. I guess that sounds stupid!
        It is better to try putting aside a certain amount of money to be saved each month after being discharged. Otherwise, like MSBklawyer said, all this must be disclosed at time of filing.

A good friend of mine has his motto of saying "debt causes headaches while saving money is like an aspirin".

Of course, it is better to have no debt than have debt and try to save money at the same time.
        Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
        Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Originally posted by SwingTrader
          When I filed back in 2005. I took out cash advances in excess of 27K over a months time and placed it in my safe. I filed fore bankruptcy 6 months later.

Never had one objection.
          How in the WORLD would you account for $27K GONE from your account... wowza that's a LOT of money to withdraw and stash! I was only talking about maybe $100/month to save!
          Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
          Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I took money out everytime i bought groceries, like an extra $25-50 a week from the debit card.

Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
            341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
            Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
            Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

When I filed back in 2005. I took out cash advances in excess of 27K over a months time and placed it in my safe. I filed fore bankruptcy 6 months later.

Never had one objection.
              Sounds like fraud to me under the new BK rules. Also SwingTrader does not specify when he filed in 2005. BAPCPA was not effective until OCT 17 2005. Could this type of activity be the reason BAPCPA was put in place???

ForumReader is right about savings. You do have to disclose all your cash in bank accounts and cash on hand at the time of filing. It is a good idea to exempt all that you can legally exempt - but really your best best is to get the filing done and then start aggressive savings. It is amazing how much better you feel with a nice chunck in your savings account and no bills to pay!
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Never had one objection.
                As StartingOver08 stated, what you stated you did above whether true or not is one of the main reasons the new law went into effect in October 2005 (excessive fraud). I am assuming you did this prior to that date and filed with the rush of filers in October 2005 because when we filed in early 2002, we had to provide one year of bank and credit card statements showing transfers, withdrawals, deposits, etc. in excess of $500. While you may be proud of what you did, if you actually did it, you know your actions were fraudulent.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  As StartingOver08 stated, what you stated you did above whether true or not is one of the main reasons the new law went into effect in October 2005 (excessive fraud). I am assuming you did this prior to that date and filed with the rush of filers in October 2005 because when we filed in early 2002, we had to provide one year of bank and credit card statements showing transfers, withdrawals, deposits, etc. in excess of $500. While you may be proud of what you did, if you actually did it, you know your actions were fraudulent.
                  Not only that, at this posters 341 he committed a crime. It is called perjury. One question always asked; "Did you read your forms, and did you sign them?"

I dislike anyone gaming the system. One reason Berney Madoff got a stiff jail sentence.

'Evil' Madoff Gets 150 Years in Epic Fraud

If I were "SwingTrader" I would not brag and keep his secret very close to himself as he could undue his bk and get some time as well.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Never had one objection.

Either you are just looking for attention by writing something so stupid and seeing how we all react or you really are stupid by commiting a serious crime.

If you really did commit a crime I guess you got lucky. All it would have taken is for the UST to ask for 12 months worth of cc statements and you would wind up in a 6 x 6 jail cell for 5 years with no discharge.

You better hope "certain people" don't read this and subpoena your IP address.
                    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Swingtrader: You make me ill. Either you're a fool for posting such a thing and didn't really do it, or you just came into a room of people having severe financial difficulty and slammed us all in one fell swoop by committing fraud and bragging about it.

Frankly, I hope someone would look in to this and prosecute you if it is in fact true.
                      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Too all you haters, hate the game, not the player.
                        The problem with what you have posted makes others believe they can or will be able to do the same. Not only can it get them in trouble, it's actions such as yours that make costs skyrocket not only for yourself but everyone as taxes, fees, interest rates, etc. are raised to cover someone else's dumped debt. Hopefully you can see the repercussions and your intent in that you knew you were going to file.

We do not have a "how to commit BK fraud" section in this forum for a reason as it is not condoned so please know your postings are being watched by the moderators.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Who said it was in my account? It was cash advances from many credit cards over a month's time. I put that money in a safe place.

I filed under the old laws. I waited out the 6 months. I ran it by my attorney and he said wait the six months to file.

Trustee never had any questions and no creditor showed up for my 341.

OH! That's a different situation. I see, under the old rules, I could steal and it would be fine. I could wait six months and it would be OK to perform the crime of perjury. That's different. Makes it aalll fine then.

A thief is a thief is a thief.
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Feel free to "mod" my posts or delete them I really could careless.

Final note, do really believe everything you read on the Internet? If so I have a great deal on bridge in Brooklyn I would really like to sell you at a bkforum.com discount of course. That offer goes out to everyone.
                            You know, I've seen Trolls like you before. SwampWhiz, DebtMonster and a few I can't remember names. You are blatantly in error coming on this Forum full of honest people who admit they made a mistake in judgment or circumstance, and you attempt to tip their boat over by claiming how "cool" you are for making money by fraud and promoting that act with your disgusting haughtiness.

Comment

Sorry for this thread everyone I certainly didn't mean it to go this route... and I can assure you I have absolutely no intentions of hiding any money I have... and will definitely take everyone's advice to save AFTER being discharged!

So for all of you who helped me with great advice... THANK YOU!!!
                              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X