Is this an allowable expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an allowable expense?

I desperately need a fence in the backyard as there is a pond behind the house and I have three small children. I was hoping to use our tax refund to put towards the fence, but wasn't sure if it would be considered an allowable expense. (we're filing ch7 in July)

Also, window blinds are probably not considered allowable, are they?
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

Hmmmm, I would think they would both fall under house maintenance and be allowable?

Comment

I would think that the fence is a safety measure and is allowable. The blinds may be considered luxury, depending on need and type. For example, Levolor or Bali window treatments probably not acceptable, as they are a luxury product. However cheap window treatments, like mini blinds, traditional blinds, or curtains, may be acceptable.

I would defer to a local attorney on what's acceptable, but overall, I don't see a problem, generally speaking. Are you keeping the house?
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was just thinking about regular old cheap blinds. I've had paper blinds since we moved here (almost a year), but the kids finally had their way with them lol I am surprised the blinds lasted this long!!

I will be keeping the house.

I will ask the attorney tomorrow about those two things though just to be sure.

Thank you both
        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
          I was just thinking about regular old cheap blinds. I've had paper blinds since we moved here (almost a year), but the kids finally had their way with them lol I am surprised the blinds lasted this long!!

I will be keeping the house.

I will ask the attorney tomorrow about those two things though just to be sure.

Thank you both

When we moved in...we got the "faux wood" (but white, not wood colored though) blinds from Home Depot. Hubby put them up himself--and they have held up very well. I think it cost us around $500 to do the whole house. (16 windows)

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
            When we moved in...we got the "faux wood" (but white, not wood colored though) blinds from Home Depot. Hubby put them up himself--and they have held up very well. I think it cost us around $500 to do the whole house. (16 windows)
            I have used the faux wood blinds before from Home Depot. I put them up myself in my home that I had built in 2003. (I actually had the "paper" blinds from Home Depot on the windows for at least 6 months for most windows!) I vowed never to do that again. For my investment home I paid Home Depot to install Levolor faux wood (white) on about 20 windows in the home. It was worth it (cost about $1,300 with installation).

Yes, you can save by doing them yourself. The nice thing at Home Depot is that they'll cut them to size for you. Make sure you understand how to measure the blinds, because they actually cut them slightly smaller than you ask them to (due to the brackets). If you're going to hang them yourself, make sure you create a "template" so that you can quickly mark each window frame and don't even need a ruler after the first two.

I'm sure between JEM and I, we can help with all the "issues" with installing them yourself.

Best of luck to you!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I mostly agree to above. The fence part for sure. However, is our Op going to use credit and this soon before the filing. I would strongly then disagree as then it is looking like an expense with plan to discharge this.

That is the issue if they have any problems. Timing is a big factor. Only my 2 cents. 'Hub

EDIT: I reread the tax return. Yes I would say OK on that one. Sorry about my confusion. Just hyper over a 27K problem recently. LOL.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                EDIT: I reread the tax return. Yes I would say OK on that one. Sorry about my confusion. Just hyper over a 27K problem recently. LOL.
                No worries

Thanks for the advice on the faux wood blinds. I really really like those! I think I'll look into them this week. I'll be sure to ask you both for installation help
                Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
                  No worries

Thanks for the advice on the faux wood blinds. I really really like those! I think I'll look into them this week. I'll be sure to ask you both for installation help
                  Oh yeah sure, on the blinds. I can take them down (with a hammer) but I'm not going to put any up. LOL. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Ooh, good to know that a fence may be allowed! I am trying to talk hubby into waiting until after we get our return to file now (we were going to do ti next month, but don't want to lose our refund money). I wasn't sure what all we could pull off using that money plus the extra we will start having by then from not paying our credit card bills (will take a couple months before we see any extra by the time we get caught up on house, car and utility payments as well as start actually paying for gas and groceries rather than swiping the credit card. Our back yard is all fenced, with the exception on a like 10ft space across the driveway that I have wanted to close off since we moved here, esp. this summer with 2 little ones running around back there! Will be looking into a fence for sure now to finish that off and keep them locked in the backyard!

Comment

If you haven't filed yet, there's no such thing as an allowable expense. Your estate is not under the court's supervision. If you want nice blinds, get nice blinds. Once they're attached to the house they're part of the house's value, probably exempt.
                      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                        If you haven't filed yet, there's no such thing as an allowable expense. Your estate is not under the court's supervision. If you want nice blinds, get nice blinds. Once they're attached to the house they're part of the house's value, probably exempt.
                        I just don't want them (the UST or anyone else) to come backafter viewing our bank statements and want to know why we spent $x on blinds when we should/could have put that money on a credit card or something. That's all.
                        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

This partially depends on how much we are talking about here. The way to think about using funds on a home before a BK

"Repair is fair,
                          To improve is reproved"

(note: I own that phrase ) (but seriously, it's mine).

What are you suggesting is right on the borderline, defiantly in the grey area. So, any analysis will have to include the "entire circumstances" of the case. The fence, so long as it is limited to blocking child access to a pond (and assuming the pond is actually a hazard), probably ok because of the health and safety issue. Blinds, if you go cheap, probably ok.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                            This partially depends on how much we are talking about here. The way to think about using funds on a home before a BK

"Repair is fair,
                            To improve is reproved"

(note: I own that phrase ) (but seriously, it's mine).

What are you suggesting is right on the borderline, defiantly in the grey area. So, any analysis will have to include the "entire circumstances" of the case. The fence, so long as it is limited to blocking child access to a pond (and assuming the pond is actually a hazard), probably ok because of the health and safety issue. Blinds, if you go cheap, probably ok.
                            Understood... thank you
                            Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                            Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                              "Repair is fair, To improve is reproved"
                              That was too... Johnny Cochran for me! ("If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!")

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X