Tax return questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return questions

Due ato a rental property and 5 kids we get about 12000 back each year.

Is there a list of items that are acceptable to buy prior to filing? we have a fridge on the blink - 1 of our cars is ready to go 220,000 miles - our t.v. is on the blink - also property taxes for the year and insurance for the year and some storeable staples like paper goods and some food.
    would also like to have some concrete work done to our driveway.

What is acceptable? and where is there a list?
    should I buy a cheap 2500.00 car?
    I dont want this to go to creditors if at all possible.
    Any info will help.
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure there is no "list." But, you should spend the money on things that will be exempt. For example, I think buying a $2500 car (which is under your exemption limit) should be just fine. For things like the TV and refrigerator, I would just make sure they will be worth $525 or less when you file (Ohio specific). For instance, I think it would be fine to spend $800 on a refrigerator a few months before filing because you will never be able to sell it for $525.

I don't know about the concrete work, but everything else sounds just fine.

Comment

I think your biggest problem is that the tax refund is considered income. That means a $12,000 annual refund is basically $1,000 more per month in income.

I wouldn't be so concerned with the spending of that refund, but what impact it has on the Chapter of Bankruptcy you file.

Food for thought.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X