Asking for a little guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little update

I wanted to update this thread with what happened to me. To everyone on this board who helped me in this thread and for the wealth of information that is available here, thank you.

I ended up going to 3 different lawyers having consultations. The last one seemed like the best of the bunch. To anyone else reading this - do go to at least a couple if not more consultations. It really helped to give me a bit of perspective on the way different lawyers handled this. The first one I went to was a mill in every sense of the word. The second I didn't feel comfortable with, and the third that I went to was much more professional and respectful of the whole deal.

The most anxiety that I felt was the 341 meeting. By that time my lawyer and I had worked through what I was doing for a couple months and there really wasn't anything that was a big deal.

I still didn't sleep much the night before anyway. Kinda silly, after the fact, but it is really hard to just not worry about something like that when it has dominated your life for so long.

I waited for 2 hours at the federal building before my turn came to have my meeting. The trustee reviewed my case and asked a few questions. He had done research on the property involved in my case and asked me to clarify a few details. Once I did that he decided that my case was a 'No Asset' case and thanked me for answering his questions. All of this was recorded by him.

This all took around 15 minutes. No more than 20. Most of the time was taken up with his reviewing and my confirming various points of my case. The last 5 minutes were his questions. I had no creditors present except for the trustee. It wasn't nearly the hostile or antagonistic experience that I had built up in my mind. This was a gigantic deal to me but everything else about this experience was just a bunch of people trying to get their jobs done. The trustee just wanted to keep things moving.

The relief after this meeting was great! I stopped at a Dairy Queen just to congratulate myself.

That was 62 days ago.

Today I got my discharge via email from my lawyer. I filed a Chapter 7. It is a good feeling to finally get a paycheck that is mine and not being turned right around and sent to various CC companies.

Thank you to everyone on this board and thanks for being an invaluable resource for answering my questions. Most of my questions I got answers for just by doing a bunch of searches.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know what happened and congratulations! Make good use of your fresh start!
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X