top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How quickly does a BK show up on credit reports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How quickly does a BK show up on credit reports?

Man...talk about timing.

Our bankruptcy was filed on Wednesday last week (the 10th) and our 341 meeting is set for Friday 3/5 according to PACER. Today I got a very unexpected call with a potential job offer making twice what I'm making now. The company is a large nationwide group with apparently very strict rules about background checks and bankruptcies, but the guy who called (who would be my direct supervisor) doesn't seem to be bothered by the bankruptcy. He specifically said that they look at chargeoffs and "recent" bankruptcy, that if the debt is past due but not charged off yet then that's OK, and once I was hired anything debt-wise that happened in the future wouldn't matter.

So...how soon would a bankruptcy show up on a background/credit check? Does it not show up until the bankruptcy is finalized and discharged? Our information is showing up in PACER, but I don't know what other databases it's showing up in already. If I were to take this job (or apply for it at least) what's the likelihood of the bankruptcy coming up?

Within a few weeks, as the creditors (and at least here in Mass and probably elsewhere, also the credit agencies - TransUnion at al) are on the notification list when you file

Comment

Depending on the creditor, it can show up the same date of your filing. Everything now is computerized. There is no guarantee your background or credit check will be free of any indication of BK when you apply for that job.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I pulled my Experian last night off of annualcreditreport.com. There's a section for "publicly available information" or somesuch that listed the bankruptcy petition. That would probably be enough. It's a moot point anyway, since several accounts are now showing as "charged off" which disqualifies me from the job.

I'll call them later in the week and see just how firm the rules are on the financial background check. I didn't ever call them or apply for a job, they called me after meeting me at a sales event. If they really want me to work there, they'll find a way around it.

Comment

We filed on 12/30/09 and when I pulled our reports (True Credit monitoring) on 2/1/10 all 3 bureaus showed our BK in the public records section. Within 30 days (and it could have been sooner for all I know) it was reported.
          Retained attorney 10/4/09, Chapter 7 filed 12/30/09
          341 meeting 2/2/10
          Trustee report of no distribution filed 2/4/10
          Discharged 4/8/10

Comment

Filed 1/15, it appeared 1/25.
            1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
            2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
            4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

My bankruptcy showed up as a public record on my credit reports the day after I filed. It took several weeks for my individual accounts to start showing bankruptcy and/or IIB status.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X