top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in a Attorney that works for creditors and debtors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in a Attorney that works for creditors and debtors?

I am here searching for an Attorney and found this website; he seems ok to me; but when I saw in this webpage that he also works with creditors against debtors I felt like "sleeping with the enemy"

I have never done that before, so I don't know what to think...

any advice?

His website: http://www.washingtonbankruptcy.com/Creditors.html

I think if you are concerned about him also representing creditors that you might ask him if he has any conflict of interest going on. Is he currently representing any of YOUR creditors?

Comment

I don't know if he is working with any of my creditors...

Like I said: I am searching online for Attorneys, so when I saw his website... I start to questioning inside of my head; if is ok work with someone that works in other side too.

Comment

Assuming there is no conflict of interest, having an attorney who represents both debtors and creditors could be advantageous as he has the perspective to anticipate a position a creditor might take. But then again, an experienced attorney who represents only debtors should also know from experience what position a creditor might take.

Any attorney knowledgable in his area of law should be able to competently represent either side.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by seamoonil View Post
          I don't know if he is working with any of my creditors...

Like I said: I am searching online for Attorneys, so when I saw his website... I start to questioning inside of my head; if is ok work with someone that works in other side too.
          That is why I said ask him.

Comment

well- it does sound abit like leave the key to your house under the doormat.
            Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

My attorney is also a Ch 7 panel Trustee. I believe the advantage of this is similar to what LadyInTheRed said. Working both sides of the table or the aisle adds perspective, knowledge and it also adds some degree of networking. OTOH, I sense a degree of black and white. While I am confidant that whatever final documents we come up with will fly through the system ("I'm a Trustee - This is how it goes"), I feel he is a little less adventurous than other attorney's may be.

What tigergem said. Ask him & if he says, "no conflict," then ask him how that can be. I believe that as long as he is not presently retained by any of your creditors, he's good to go.

I worked with attorneys on a daily basis for over twenty years and rarely, maybe a couple of times, the law firm couldn't take a case because of conflict of interest, either with themselves or the within law firm.

Comment

My attorney works on both sides of the fence. His knowledge served me well.
                *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

I have been thinking that an attorney who works both sides might garner more respect from a Trustee, creditors, etc. Maybe less aggressive but if you get challenged by a creditor in an AP you lose even if you win.
                  12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
                  8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
                  9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

I have finally made peace with the idea of representing creditors. I was turning down too much business by refusing to do it on principle. I am still very particular about which ones I will represent and I will only represent them in the bankruptcy context. I don't get involved with collections or represent credit card companies or payday lenders. There's not enough tea in China.

The few creditor clients I have are merchants who do their own financing. They usually need representation because debtors are trying to cram down the value of the collateral below what my clients believe is fair value or the debtor doesn't have the required insurance on the collateral or is doing something to the collateral that would negatively affect its value.
                    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 03-19-2010, 04:27 AM.
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X