top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone sign anythig during the first free consultation with the Attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone sign anythig during the first free consultation with the Attorney?

I signed few papers that I wasn't that sure what was about it; but he said that was just papers saying that he was giving a first free consultation or something...

Did you guys sign anything in your first free consutation?

Why did you sign documents without knowing what you were signing?

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
      Why did you sign documents without knowing what you were signing?
      was some type of free consultation staff he said...

I never talk to an Anttorney before; so I he start to talk and I felt pressure...

that is no signing on the first consultation at all?

Comment

I dunno. I didn't use an attorney. But I darn sure wouldn't sign anything - ever - unless I knew or understood what it said. That's just common sense.

Comment

Last time I signed a paper I didn't understand, I found myself married. LOL.

DON"T SIGN A DAMN THING before reading it. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
            I dunno. I didn't use an attorney. But I darn sure wouldn't sign anything - ever - unless I knew or understood what it said. That's just common sense.
            Great advice! That being said, yes, each attorney I spoke with had me sign some papers. It was awhile ago so I don't recall exactly what they said but they were basically just like a rights and responsibilities type of thing. It in no way bound or otherwise encumbered me to do or promise anything.

Hopefully you signed something similar. From now on, don't sign anything until you read and understand it! Most of the documents you will be signing during your case you will be making a declaration under perjury that the document is true and accurate and that you understand it.
            Filed CH13 - 06/2009
            Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

With each of my consultations we did have to fill out some paperwork with the basics and I believe we did have to sign. I do remember that the paperwork indicated that there was no commitment in retaining the attorney.
              Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
              Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Did you get a copy of what you signed? If not, call them back today and have the assistant email you a copy of every document you signed. Keep it for your records. As others have stated, don't sign anything without reading and understanding it first.
                Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I had to sign stuff about the free consultation. There are legal papers that cover both you and the lawyer. However, I read what I was signing before slapping my siggie on it.

NEVER sign a thing without actually reading and asking questions if you have them.
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                    I had to sign stuff about the free consultation. There are legal papers that cover both you and the lawyer. However, I read what I was signing before slapping my siggie on it.

NEVER sign a thing without actually reading and asking questions if you have them.
                    The paper that I signed said in the cover page BANKRUPTCY FEE AGREEMENT;

But I believe that is just a quote...

I call them and they said, until I don't put $200 down there is no besiness between lawyer and client.

Comment

True, they are not retained/hired till you pay them. In CH7, they are not filing until you pay in full.

However, lesson learned: don't sign anything you don't understand.
                      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                        True, they are not retained/hired till you pay them. In CH7, they are not filing until you pay in full.

However, lesson learned: don't sign anything you don't understand.
                        YES, lesson LEARNED !!

When I got home; I was like wait a minute... scary !!!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it, probably some disclosure. Not a big deal.

Sounds like the lawyer is extra cautious.

Comment

i signed on multiple times. Doesn't mean anything unless you put down a significant amount of money. I haven't put any down yet on the last one. Planning on it though.
                            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

saw another attorney today; and that was so different, very simple guy but a nice office and very organized; He didn't pressure me at all.
                              He said that my case is too easy, that's nothing for me to worry about it.

He said the main problem is one people have assets; so the creditors want to suck their blood.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X