top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone sign anythig during the first free consultation with the Attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At one consultation, I signed a document acknoweldgement receipt of that document. It was general info about bankruptcy and a statement that the attorney was a debt relief agency.

For those who say not to worry if you haven't paid anything: that may not be true. It may vary by state law, but in California you can sign an agreement with an attorney agreeing to pay for services to be performed without paying a retainer. A written fee agreement is not even required if services provided are worth less than $5,000 (that's the amount as of the last time I knew). An attorney is not required to get paid before starting work. But, they will bill for work the perform and expect payment if you agreed to the services.

As has already been said, NEVER sign anything you haven't read. If they pressure you to sign before reading, walk out. You want an attorney who encourages you to understand everything you sign, not one who pressures you to "just hurry up and sign".
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by seamoonil View Post
      The paper that I signed said in the cover page BANKRUPTCY FEE AGREEMENT;

But I believe that is just a quote...

I call them and they said, until I don't put $200 down there is no besiness between lawyer and client.
      Then you aren't likely to have any problem. But, to fully protect yourself, if you signed a "Bankruptcy Fee Agreement", read the agreement and make sure you did not authorize them to begin work. What they say over the phone won't replace what is contained in the written agreement.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We initialed a couple times saying we agreed to do x, y, & z before signing the agreement and giving the payment. Stuff like change banks, get paperwork together, and that we told the attorney everything. No signature though. She handed us the agreement and said to sign it and mail it to her with the payment. It's still sitting in my file cabinet because she was an idiot.

The second consultation we didn't or initial anything.
        attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
        no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
        341, 05/10/2010
        discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          Last time I signed a paper I didn't understand, I found myself married. LOL.

DON"T SIGN A DAMN THING before reading it. 'Hub
          03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
          06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Comment

I did not sign anything.
            She gave me papers to go home with and send back if I decided to proceed.
            Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
            Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
            341 Meeting 01/05/2009
            Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X