More documentation of expenses.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More documentation of expenses.....

As far as documenting expenses as they pertain to your schedules during the 341 hearing, I was told by a poster here in another thread that using my dbit card and showing proof on my bank statements should satisfy the trustee.

But that doesn't seem detailed enough to keep the trustee happy. I mean, looking at charges from walmart, meijers, kmart......etc., how do they know that we are not buying electronics or wii games there, instead of food or clothies or household goods?

At the same rate, it would be a huge pain in the butt to keep receipts for every item I bought at all of these stores. What is reasonable and what is unreasonable?

Originally posted by loser104 View Post
    What is reasonable and what is unreasonable?
    This is determined by your local bk court's and your trustee's customs and practices. If you filed with a lawyer, he/she can give you an idea about how different expenses are verified in your situation if they come into question.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by loser104 View Post
      As far as documenting expenses as they pertain to your schedules during the 341 hearing, I was told by a poster here in another thread that using my dbit card and showing proof on my bank statements should satisfy the trustee.

But that doesn't seem detailed enough to keep the trustee happy. I mean, looking at charges from walmart, meijers, kmart......etc., how do they know that we are not buying electronics or wii games there, instead of food or clothies or household goods?

At the same rate, it would be a huge pain in the butt to keep receipts for every item I bought at all of these stores. What is reasonable and what is unreasonable?
      Good question... we shop a lot of BJs, Walmart, Target, etc for groceries, food, household stuff... so on the day my husband gets paid, we'll usually have $150-$200 at BJs and $150+ at Target and/or Walmart. Those are the only days though with those large transactions. The rest of our transactions are going out for dinner once and gasoline and regular bills. My attorney said not to worry about having receipts for those transactions, so hopefully he knows what he is talking about!

If you have an attorney, just ask and he/she should know.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
      Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Each district will vary - but it also may depend on where your expenses fall compared to the IRS standards. If the IRS standard for groceries for your family size is $600 and you say you spend $525, probably won't be questioned. But if you spend $800 because of dietary needs, keep receipts & perhaps documentation on the special needs.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Its all personal property, wii games are the last thing on the Trustee's mind. Those would covered under entertainment, and when you lump that in with groceries and such at a Walmart, they are not going to question those transactions.

The trustee is not some devil looking to deprive you of your very soul.

Now, if you went out and bought a $700 plasma screen, that would raise an eyebrow. Typically trustees will have a cap on a single transaction, and request documentation for it.

If you accidentally buy something that he wants, let him have it, and in return you get a discharge, seems like a fair trade??

Comment

Saving receipts, as much as a pain it is, is a good idea. Better to have them and be able to produce them than not...

Comment

We've saved receipts for pretty much everything. (We haven't filed yet) I just shove them in my purse and empty them out every few days into a big file folder that I have divided into different categories.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X