debtors anonymous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debtors anonymous?

Anyone been in the debtors anonymous program and can offer insight? I'm still feeling a lot of guilt about filing (7+ years ago), and was wondering whether participating in such a program might help me deal with it.

I don't currently have any debt, don't plan to incur any, and have savings, but if I lose my job and can't find another, I fear falling into debt again. In hindsight, my debt problem largely arose from inability to find full time employment with health insurance (i continued to live mostly like a student, but was still spending too much and falling deeper into debt). So I think I'll freak out if there's any reduction in my income.

I guess what I'm saying is I have "issues" and am looking for a place to work them out.

Not aware of any. I thought this forum is sort of a debtors anonymous...
    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Some sort of counseling seems appropriate based on what you describe. No personal experience with debtors anonymous, though.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Guilt is the result of a perceived moral violation. What principal have you really violated...

Let me put it this way...if you promise your mother you will be over for dinner at 8:00pm, but while on your way you are involved in a car accident; are you really, morally, responsible for breaking that promise to your mother?.

Bottom line, you are letting the perception of others inform your sense of yourself; time to take the reins and define yourself on your own terms.
        Last edited by HHM; 04-27-2010, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Let me put it this way...if you promise your mother you will be over for dinner at 8:00pm, but while on your way you are involved in a car accident; are you really, morally, responsible for breaking that promise.

Very well put. Thank you!

I once spoke with an attorney and he told me "Once you get over your pride, then we can talk"

Comment

ummm..noooo.... I don't know of any debtor's anonymous, but if you really really need help, I would suggest that you locate and contact Recovery, Inc. I just heard a presentation about that organization last week. It is my understanding that it is a national organization that helps people "get over" all kinds of issues. Like a 12 step... I think... but they don't just deal with addictions.

Comment

I've never been to DA but have attended another 12 step program. If you have an interest in it, I'd suggest seeing if there are meetings in your area and going to a few.

Welcome to Debtors Anonymous Is your life unmanageable because of debt? Are you sick of bouncing checks, paying late fees, and having creditors knocking at your door? Debtors Anonymous offers hope for people whose use of unsecured debt causes problems and suffering in their lives and the lives of others.

Comment

Many people who previously relied on credit cards and previously were not able to budget or did not know how to budget and eventually built of a load of debt and filed have anxiety problems. Just the fear of having to give up the addiction of credit cards can really work on some people. Shopping and spending is an addiction for some people. Your local newspaper should have a weekly or periodic listing of support groups in your area; if not, search your local paper's website for a listing. Another thing to do is what many other folks do when they have anxiety issues over any life event situation or continual addiction problem, OCD, etc. Make an appointment and discuss it with your family doctor who is also a wondeful source of support programs or who can refer you to a program. Best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

DA won't really apply to those who filed because they were unemployed and needed to survive; it is aimed at compulsive shoppers who spend on crap. The ones who HAVE to have the latest BluRay player, biggest big screen, newest Benz in the driveway and the full designer wardrobe. If you can look around your house and verify that you have none of the above (and don't have some funky vice like buying 100 packages of TP and paper towels) then you probably are not a compulsive spender.

In this economy a lot of us wound up in trouble on the day by day expenses. Payrolls are cut, jobs are lost, gas and food are still going up and the band played on with the tune of "there is no inflation."
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

flyin in broke: not sure how familiar you are with DA and BDA (business debtors anonymous) but it is not just for overspenders--although MANY have that problem. DA is an AMAZING program. i started back in october and without it and the surrender i learned in that program i wouldnt be as accepting as i am today of my financial situation. i wound up in debt because of the recession and a divorce. DA taught me many things but mostly how to forgive myself for my part and move forward. i live in northern colorado but you can 'attend' meetings anywhere because you can listen and participate on conference call meetings 7 days a week. an incredible program for anyone who is struggling with money issues. so much support. just go to debtorsanonymous.org and you will find a list of phone meetings. they recommend 'attending' 6 meetings to see if it is for you. good luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X