Filed BK but notary question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed BK but notary question

We have completed our BK and have been free since Sept of 2009. So far things are fine. I work in banking and so far they don't know. However recently my boss has asked that I become a notary. I noticed that the bank will bond me a notary bond. Will this bond uncover my BK???

While the BK was our only choice, we are looking at other options now for our future. One of our problems is unaffordable healthcare. I pay about 300.00 per month, but my total out of pocket could be as high as 12,000.0 per year. Our cars are getting older, things need to be replace over time, and with the fear of the huge out of pocket our future is still dim. We are saving, and moving back home once the job markets are better. We have decided upon a divorce to help protect some funds. We figure since hubs has COPD that if he gets really sick we would not be able to afford a place to live or food to eat or a car so I could work for paying healthcare bills. We think we can do a divorce very cheaply, and save assets since we can't do a bk for a long time if a medical disaster hits us. Has anyone else considered this? It is really sad to think about, but we have few options I think.

So, while the BK was all we could do, I wish there was another way out since we may have to use it again if medical debt starts piling up and we can't for a long time. The world has become a scarey place for fiances, but we are still enjoying life and trying to not dwell on it. Good luck. too all of you..

It should not be an issue. In GA at least, you pretty much just have to show proof of residency (notary license is issued by county) and photo ID.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

The question is the BOND.. Will my bank check when they go to bond me?

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
        We have completed our BK and have been free since Sept of 2009. So far things are fine. I work in banking and so far they don't know. However recently my boss has asked that I become a notary. I noticed that the bank will bond me a notary bond. Will this bond uncover my BK???

While the BK was our only choice, we are looking at other options now for our future. One of our problems is unaffordable healthcare. I pay about 300.00 per month, but my total out of pocket could be as high as 12,000.0 per year. Our cars are getting older, things need to be replace over time, and with the fear of the huge out of pocket our future is still dim. We are saving, and moving back home once the job markets are better. We have decided upon a divorce to help protect some funds. We figure since hubs has COPD that if he gets really sick we would not be able to afford a place to live or food to eat or a car so I could work for paying healthcare bills. We think we can do a divorce very cheaply, and save assets since we can't do a bk for a long time if a medical disaster hits us. Has anyone else considered this? It is really sad to think about, but we have few options I think.

So, while the BK was all we could do, I wish there was another way out since we may have to use it again if medical debt starts piling up and we can't for a long time. The world has become a scarey place for fiances, but we are still enjoying life and trying to not dwell on it. Good luck. too all of you..
        It's a shame that laws are written in a way that benefits two single people better than if they were married. Getting a divorce doesn't really help prior to bk in most instances because debts are generally in both names. But as far a a long term planning tool I can see alot of advantages in co-habitating rather than being married.

Especially moderarely low income families with only one spouse working. I'm not suggesting that it's right to manipulate the system, BUT if the system is created in a way where a couple never get married and have several kids, then the wife can get all kind of benefits from the gov. But that same couple that's married and makes 25K a year with a family of 4 wouldn't qualify for those same benefits.

I think there are already too many benefit programs and tax credits, but if we are going to have them, why punish the couples that are doing their best to be moral and be good citizens.
        Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
        Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
        341 - 2/12/2010
        Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

In this case 'bonding' just means they verify you meet the requirements to become a notary. Look up the requirements for your state - I doubt a credit check or public records search is included.

For GA:

Eligibility

* Be at least 18 years old
          * Be a resident of the Georgia county in which the application is made or be a resident of a bordering state (Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee) who is regularly employed or carries on a business or profession in that county
          * Be able to read and write English

Originally posted by momisery View Post
          The question is the BOND.. Will my bank check when they go to bond me?
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I was a former notary for one state but when I started working in another state, my employer wanted me to become a notary for that state. We were in active Chapter 13. I did all the applying myself, for the bond and all other documentation needed, and testing now involved, and all was fine although I was worried there might be a problem and what would I tell my employer!; in your instance, your employer is guaranteeing the bond. You will have to do a bit of research into the notary process in your state because the bond has to be a certain amount and it may be a requirement for them to run a credit check. Do your homework and if you think there will be an issue, talk confidentially to your boss or HR manager/supervisor and explain your worry and situation.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X