top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing With Debt Collectors Before Filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing With Debt Collectors Before Filing?

I need a little more time, what do I say to them?

No law says you have to answer your phone.Seriously, I just didn't pick up and made them mail me whatever they wanted.

Comment

I answered the phone every now and then because I wanted to make sure they knew they were reaching me so they don't start trying to call family or neighbors. I told them that I was having financial difficulties and couldn't pay anything right now. If they asked what kind of difficulties I was having, I would say that I don't care to go into the details, I can't pay now but I hope to know more in 30 days or so. Sometimes they'd tell me they'd hold calls for 5 days and it seems like they did. Some just hung up on me. As calls continued, I'd usually not answer, but would pick up when I felt like it and tell them the same thing again.

2 creditors called me at work. I told them "I'm at work and can't talk to you here. Please do not call me at work." They honored that request.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

i don't know why creditors call. if we had the money we'd pay them!
        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

GE Moneybank was calling relentlessly at least 15 times a day after missing the first payment. Most of the calls were automated except in the evening when a real person would call.

After a few weeks I finally decided to answer and give them my attorneys number. We have not filed yet however they thanked me for the info and the calls stopped.
          Filed 7 - 7/8/10, 341 - 8/17/10 - Continued, Presumption of Abuse Filed - 8/27/10
          Report of No Distribution 9/27/10. Discharged 2/7/11 Closed 02/25/1
          10/12 EXP. 681

Comment

We won't be ready to file for a couple more weeks, but we gave our attorney a $50 retainer fee. When we get a collection call, we tell them we are filing in 2 weeks and give them our attorney's name and number.

We used to get 20 calls a day, but now we hardly get any. Maybe 1 call every couple of days.

Comment

Can you say voice mail?
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Most will temporarily stop the calls and give you ample time to file. Ignoring them will not help you. In fact I suggest contacting the BK department of the creditors of your home and auto to see what their policy and procedures are for handling certain situations. Some creditors are more aggressive than others. What they have to say may save you some head aches in the long run.

Or you can just pay your bills.

Comment

Originally posted by KatInVa View Post
                  I need a little more time, what do I say to them?
                  How about nothing?
                  Frogger has a good suggestion. If you are lonely and no one ever calls you, you may want to talk to them. Otherwise...

I can accurately say I have had over 6,000 creditor calls in the last five years and I have NEVER talked to a single one of them. In fact, I only hear them ring once the first time they ever call, to get their caller ID. After that I hear nothing, no rings forever. I occasionally check the computer logs to see who called.
                  They come and go like flies - I'm still here.
                  “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Brazzy View Post
                    Most will temporarily stop the calls and give you ample time to file. Ignoring them will not help you. In fact I suggest contacting the BK department of the creditors of your home and auto to see what their policy and procedures are for handling certain situations. Some creditors are more aggressive than others. What they have to say may save you some head aches in the long run.

Or you can just pay your bills.
                    Gosh, folks, why didn't we think of that ?? !

thanks Brazzy!
                    Marie

Comment

I haven't answered a call from a creditor in 3.5 years. My wife has at least five credit cards with a total of $75K owed. She got sued on one ($11K) and although she's definitely not judgment proof, she's above and beyond collection proof in most known aspects.

There are quite a few things I would've done differently in the past knowing what I know now, but talking to the creditors/collectors/etc. is NOT one of them. In my modest experience, there's nothing to gain on debtor's part. If they assume that you can be collected from, they'll sue regardless of whether you speak to them or you don't.

My $0.02 only, and, as always, YMMV...
                      No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X