Straight forward bankruptcy after divorce question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight forward bankruptcy after divorce question

I just need a little clarification and advice here as I'm way out of my depth...

Five years ago my ex-wife and I got divorced after 1.5 years of marriage. We had no children, and she paid for and got a no-fault divorce. This divorce included a distribution of debt which included the provision that I should make "equalizing" payments to her for debt incurred under her name on my behalf (to the tune of $11,950).

Less than a year later she filed for bankruptcy--discharging all the debts I was supposed to make equalizing payments on. I.e., she charged portions of her credit card balances to me (in the divorce decree), and then had all of her credit card balances discharged in bankruptcy.

Fast forward to present day.

I always thought that since her debts had been discharged in bankruptcy it would mean that I wouldn't have to make equalizing payments on her discharged debt. As I understand Section 524(A)(2) it sounds like I'm right. Yet my ex-wife has filed a contempt of court charge against me because I haven't paid the $11,950--even though the equalizing payments are supposed to be for debt she no longer has.

My question: do I still have to make the equalizing payments even though her debt has been discharged? We had no children and no provision for spousal support in our decree so this is strictly an equalizing payment issue.

Thoughts?

Also, who would I see for a consultation on this issue? a bankruptcy attorney? a family law attorney? both?

Help!

Thanks in advance, Abe

Section 524(A)(2) applies to creditors' rights (or lack of rights) to collect the discharged debts from her. Whether the discharge of her debts negates your obligation to pay amounts you have been ordered to pay to her is a family law question. I bet you still have to pay her. How she dealt with the debt that she was obligated to pay to others is not relevant to your obligation to pay her. See a family lawyer.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Section 524(A)(2) applies to creditors' rights (or lack of rights) to collect the discharged debts from her. Whether the discharge of her debts negates your obligation to pay amounts you have been ordered to pay to her is a family law question. I bet you still have to pay her. How she dealt with the debt that she was obligated to pay to others is not relevant to your obligation to pay her. See a family lawyer.
      her obligation to pay the debt.

If you are required to pay the money at all, it should be to the unsecured creditors that she discharged and not to her. That would be an unjust windfall for her.
      Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

You would need to consult with a family law attorney since this is a court order from the family court.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X